UH-60 Blackhawk - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #21
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myleniskaya View Post
google reference topic with UH60 DCS words

We don't need anymore planes like the yak52 of Christen Eagle II ... .... but more good Heli like UH60, ch52, Puma, etc..
+1
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #22
The Falcon

ED just do it!

Spoiler:
Just

Spoiler:
Do it!
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #23
Richard Dastardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
While lots of different helicopters would be neat...I think we would be better served if we focused on what helicopters we "need".
And that was a very American-centric list, too. Might be easier to do a EH-101 than a CH-53 if Sikorsky are awkward, for instance.

IMO -

* Lynx - naval strike / utility helicopter or battlefield utility heli, thoroughly modern rotor head makes it acrobatic & seriously fast. Torpedos, depth charges, antiship missiles, or cannon/rockets/TOW missiles, usual door guns, small enough to operate off frigates, and it's also different & west European which makes a change. Not very much like the Huey. Also the older ones were the angriest aircraft I have ever heared, when they're coming towards you.

* If you want a H-53 make it the MH-53 - while there was only a tiny number it does everything the CH-53 does and a lot of things on top, and more importantly things the Mi-8 doesn't do.

* Sea King/SH-3/S-61, if there's enough things for it to do to make it unique as oppposed to another large utility heli. There were a bunch of licensed versions of this which might help.

Then again if you're rationalising like that, why do we have the F-16 when the Hornet exists...

Last edited by Richard Dastardly; 11-17-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Richard Dastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #24
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
While lots of different helicopters would be neat...I think we would be better served if we focused on what helicopters we "need".

What choppers do we "need"? Well let's look at it from a mission created point of view...

We "need" SH-60Bs for the modern Carrier Operations being developed. Both operationally as Plane Guard Aircraft and VERTREP assets.

We "need" CH-46 Sea Knights, CH-53 Sea Stallions, UH-1Ys and AH-1W/Z to operate off of LHAs along side Harriers.

We "need" UH-60Gs CH-47s, HH-53s and MH-53s CH-47s for logistics, UH-60Gs and CH-53s for heavy lifting and combat search and rescue.

Now are we likely to get all of these aircraft...probably not. But it would be better to have 1 or 2 helicopters that compliment the current aircraft and missions than a dozen " neat helicopters" with no real " mission" to perform in the current version of DCS world we have.
On the one hand, I completely get what you mean. Except I think the list could be shorter. We have (medium) lifts covered on both sides. We don't really need heavy lifts. We don't really need scouts (at least, until DCS radically changes as the scouting mission really does not work too well in DCS currently). What we really need is a western (heavy) attack helo.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for wanting a particular aircraft because of some intrinsic appeal it has, even if its role is redundant. E.g., we have the Viggen. Yet, I would love to have an F-111 or an A-6. We have the Hornet. But my life would be incomplete if we didn't have the Tomcat. And I'm looking forward to the F-4 and F-8 as well. So, along these lines, I would love to see ANY Black Hawk variant. It's iconic to me as much as the Huey. And while we're at it: Chinook and MH-53. When it comes down to it, I'll take all the helos I can get!
Bearfoot is offline   Reply With Quote