DCS: MiG-23MLA by RAZBAM

MrDieing

Its still green, let it hang on its tree a little more. Flight - maneuverability, acceleration, top speed and contact to carrier/ground dynamics, Phoenix guidance and energy loss(or lack of). Its progressing, but I don't want to use MiG-21, Viggen and F-14 as examples of top DCS Modules. ED/BST are still unrivaled.

disagree, HB basically rivials ED/BST. F14 is easily the most top notch 3rd party module to date. and they released it basically fully complete * cough cough EA fad Cough cough*, even if it still somewhat fresh.

If anyhing Id say the F18 is far more green than the F14 in its current, state, heck its not even fully complete. Even where things are complete the F18 FM has been disputed to be off in certain angles of flight.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

disagree, HB basically rivials ED/BST. F14 is easily the most top notch 3rd party module to date. and they released it basically fully complete * cough cough EA fad Cough cough*, even if it still somewhat fresh.

If anyhing Id say the F18 is far more green than the F14 in its current, state, heck its not even fully complete. Even where things are complete the F18 FM has been disputed to be off in certain angles of flight.

Yup I agree. The main thing the F14 needs is more work on JesterAI and fixing the various phoenix issues. And I really like the F18, but its still missing a fair amount of core functionality.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Anyway, my expectation for the MiG-23 is correspondence to real charts flight performance vise, and being able to use real manuals for the systems and weapons employment.

Wishlist for the devs: a series of pre-release videos proving flight dynamics and systems with side-by-side comparison to real docs(you already have shown a flight dynamics analysis tool in the MiG-19P flight performance discussion and improvement process), optional cockpit wear like with the MiG-19P, and a period soundtrack)) And I'll pay full price for Angola map.

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

Anyway, my expectation for the MiG-23 is correspondence to real charts flight performance vise, and being able to use real manuals for the systems and weapons employment.

Wishlist for the devs: a series of pre-release videos proving flight dynamics and systems with side-by-side comparison to real docs(you already have shown a flight dynamics analysis tool in the MiG-19P flight performance discussion and improvement process), optional cockpit wear like with the MiG-19P, and a period soundtrack)) And I'll pay full price for Angola map.

mmm... a man of culture :D

• Like 1

Hello halowraith1,

What do you feel is still lacking in the cockpit? Could you expand on this?

Thanks

Maybe he's talking about the buttons that you can't really bind to a Hotas yet. ARK Frequency dial, Wingspan, Target Distance and dive angle selector, Gunsight uncage and so on.

Otherwhise the Module is really good.

Maybe he's talking about the buttons that you can't really bind to a Hotas yet. ARK Frequency dial, Wingspan, Target Distance and dive angle selector, Gunsight uncage and so on.

+1 .. I really liked the -19, but being unable to properly setup my hotas was a big letdown, so much so that I stopped editing missions with it and stored her on the hangar :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 weeks later...

Last word from Razbam is that they are focused on finishing current modules. At a guess I'd say the mig23 might be out next year.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Last word from Razbam is that they are focused on finishing current modules. At a guess I'd say the mig23 might be out next year.

I certainly don't expect it any sooner, either. I just want to see some of those juicy progress pics and updates someday to tide me over! But I'm 100% for them taking as long as needed to sort out anything remaining on the current modules either way, so it's no big deal.

As a discussion point for any who know or are interested: I know the variant we're getting is the MLA with R-24R/T and R-60M support, and that we'll have the option for the SPO-15 since at least some were retrofitted and to make it more broadly viable in DCS. But I can't find any good information on total equipped weapons or pylon arrangement here or elsewhere. Do we know how many of what we'll be able to equip?

Dunno exactly,

This is for the MLD should be similar for the MLA. For a full AA load 4xR60 and 2xR23/24

MiG23armas.jpg

Edited by Harlikwin

It looks like that chart is for the P, ML, and MLD. I may be misunderstanding variants a bit, but I believed the P is the closest to what we're getting from what I read a while back. Still, I saw this chart earlier in the thread but didn't notice that it was for more variants than the MLD. Considering the only thing on there not available to the MLA is the R-73, it seems likely that this is correct.

3b159368be7bea8809a1b234bfd50ab3--swing-soviet-union.jpg

This is what most people will carry.

Also as for progress, I'm pretty sure the 3D team(s) are hard at work on the mig23 considering the 3D work on the existing models is basically done, and I'm sure they aren't sitting around doing nothing.

Edited by Harlikwin

I heard the team working on the Mig-19 will work on the Mig-23. So the sooner the Mig-19 is done, the quicker the Mig-23 should see a ramp up in development.

We all heard that, the problem being we don't actually know what the word "team" means in Razbam speak. My guess is their 3d guys are hard at work on it already, and some basic FM/coding is probably going on too behind the scenes.

Hopefully we'll get to learn more soon. I know the Mig-19 still has a few outstanding items (sounds, at least), but it seems to be wrapping up from the last time I flew it. We're a long way off of a Mig-23 regardless, but it's easily the future module I'm most looking forward to!

I wonder how many people will take only one R-24R and a R-24T

Well it can only carry 2 R24's.

Exactly. You can choose a mix if so desired. Thinking of the old tactic of shooting two differently guided missiles at once.

Can’t tell you how many timesI shot a semi active R-27 and they didn’t expect the R-27 thermal right in front of it:)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Exactly. You can choose a mix if so desired. Thinking of the old tactic of shooting two differently guided missiles at once.

Can’t tell you how many timesI shot a semi active R-27 and they didn’t expect the R-27 thermal right in front of it:)

Still a very valid tactic as the R-27ET is in pure pursuit while R-27ER is in lead pursuit.

But more I am using the T variant for snapshots to keep the wingman in bay, while I am dealing the other one.

Using one R and one T variant makes it easy to challenge in Su-27S a three F-15C with each having four AIM-120C missiles and two AIM-9 by going straight toward them, evade their first volley of AIM-120 by maneuvering and then put the strongest one in defensive with R, while then wait the second high threat wingman will come and you challenge him with T, and then you start snapping them out with R-60/R-73.

But the problem here is that Mig-23MLA unlikely is anywhere near as easy to fly as Su-27S is with a HMS. And R-23/R-24 is not like R-27 and R-60 is not like R-73... And lack of HMS renders Mig-23 incapable to perform such tactics, even when Mig-23 was tested with HMS.

There will be interesting times in future when F-4 gets out....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

But the problem here is that Mig-23MLA unlikely is anywhere near as easy to fly as Su-27S is with a HMS. And R-23/R-24 is not like R-27 and R-60 is not like R-73... And lack of HMS renders Mig-23 incapable to perform such tactics, even when Mig-23 was tested with HMS.

That is all true, but you're also comparing it in a scenario against 2-3 4th gens! Flown well I'm sure it will be a dangerous opponent in equal numbers to the 4th gens, even if at a disadvantage. And of course, as you mention, when we get more Vietnam era stuff too.

I am expecting it to be quite useful in the current Blue Flag environment if they stick it into interceptor slots... Radar should be more or less on par with the current MiG-29A radar, just few km weaker.... the R-24s will perform more or less similar to the current un-updated R-27s... I see the scenario of running in... F-poling the amraam... getting the R-24s off... turning and out accelerating and outrunning the newer stuff...

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

I see, you're just being a meanie pants then :thumbup: