Long Standing Bug Fixed! - External Lighting Passing Through Cockpit!

Fubarbrickdust

So I just jumped into the Huey for a bit of night ops, poised to flick off the anti-collision beacon & nav lights for obvious reasons...when I noticed something quite out of place!

I didn't need to...as the lights weren't coming through the cockpit!! At 1st I thought they might not be on - F2 view confirmed they were!

So far I've only checked the Huey & Hokum, but it would very much appear that ED have stealth fixed this in a recent (last OB?) update, without popping it on the changelog!

Is it just me? It can't be!

I had a quick scan about here and Hoggit and see no mention of it...which I find somewhat surprising given that over the last few years I've seen this issue used in the top 5 of pretty much any DCS core game bitch-and-moan thread I've happened to glance over.

Given the above I find it really surprising that I'm the only one to notice, or notice it and feel it worthy of mention. Or that ED didn't pop it in the log as a matter of course.

So at best it looks like they've fixed it in one blow, or at least are working through the modules with the fix!

In any case. A heads up...and thumbs up for squashing this long standing gremlin! :thumbup:

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

You're right!

I found it hard to believe but yes, both the Huey and Ka-50 don't have the light show in their cockpits anymore. Very nice!

In the Huey the cargo area still lights up but that is somewhat secondary to me...

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

You're right!

I found it hard to believe but yes, both the Huey and Ka-50 don't have the light show in their cockpits anymore. Very nice!

In the Huey the cargo area still lights up but that is somewhat secondary to me...

Good good, glad it's not some random fluke or hallucination on my end!

I noticed the same regarding the cargo area, however it's a total non-issue for me in light of the fix that has been made. And I believe the cargo area technically doesn't qualify as the cockpit - If you open the Huey pit in the model viewer it's quite clear where the cockpit rear boundry ends...same place.

I'll be checking out how far this fix has spread to the other modules...hopefully quite far!

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Wow! It's amazing that they take so long to fix something so important (light in your cockpit AT NIGHT kills night flying!).

And don't even mention it in the patch notes. Both are disappointing!

Has anyone tested it in the A-10A?

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Wow! It's amazing that they take so long to fix something so important (light in your cockpit AT NIGHT kills night flying!).

And don't even mention it in the patch notes. Both are disappointing!

Has anyone tested it in the A-10A?

I hear this. Yet the fact that it has been fixed is a pleasant surprise and something of a positive, surely? Glass half full and all...

Haven’t tested the A-10A as yet, it’s not one of my frequent flyers but I’ll check back in with confirmation of that and others as I go.

EDIT: in fact, if I’m honest, there’s something about these little (but not insignificant) fixes and feature additions that don’t make it in the notes that I quite like...almost feels like little Update Easter Eggs to be discovered and appreciated. The last one was wake turbulence getting in there without even a raised eyebrow...delicious!

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

It's not fixed. The lights still enter the cabin where they shouldn't, they're just not shining on the instrument panel anymore (thankfully). Turn on the position lights/rotating beacon and look behind you, the lights are still reflecting off the interior cabin doors etc. In F2/external view they're still reflecting off the back of your head etc.

It's an improvement, yes, but the core issue still exists.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

It's not fixed. The lights still enter the cabin where they shouldn't, they're just not shining on the instrument panel anymore (thankfully). Turn on the position lights/rotating beacon and look behind you, the lights are still reflecting off the interior cabin doors etc. In F2/external view they're still reflecting off the back of your head etc.

It's an improvement, yes, but the core issue still exists.

This has been observed...although I believe the Huey cabin is an exception in this case - if you open up the Huey cockpit in the model viewer, the cargo cabin does not form part of the cockpit edm file so I’d imagine this is why the issues still remains towards the rear.

Every other module I’ve tested so far has had its cockpit lighting bleed problems disappear - Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-5E, AV-8B, F-15C, A-10A...and for the most part the Huey. I’ve not tested further but I’d be willing to wager that it’s engine wide.

Although I have noticed a strange artifact that seems to be related to cockpit flood lights in a few (F-5E & AV-8B), where sections of the light gets cutoff and goes black at certain angles...I’ve only tested these modules in the dead of DCS night so may be related to moonlight/night shadows or something in between.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

I'm going to have to finally try my old A10a night mission where I drop night flares to light up the battlefield and kill a bunch of tanks. Tried to play that with a Noob friend a year ago after he bought the A10a, but it was FUBAR with the cockpit all lit up.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

ED has changed something about cockpit lighting in general in 2.5.5. While it had a positive effect on the Huey it had a pretty negative effect elsewhere: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244732

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg