KA-50 RADAR Warning Receiver

Murey2

Hello.

I just want to say in simple short way that the new Ka-50 must have a RWR which is a real part of other Russian helicopters Mi-24 and the Ka-52 and so on. the Fact that the early Ka-50 didn't have RWR because it was a prototype tested in a RADAR absence threat environment!

Nowadays in real life a Ka-50 if it was continued it would have had RWR due to the new nature of it's modern operation domain.

ED even the oldest RWR like found in the MiG-21 and early Mi-24s will do. I want to see it in the new Ka-50. In fact for me a RWR is more important than a IRCCD.

To all the people who care about this please make sure that you show that. Thanks.

Edited by Murey2

Actually, from what I've read, I think RWR and jamming is supposed to be a part of the President-S modular system. Supposedly, it's different for different craft though.

I double check and Asked on the russian forum and the asnwer was the new ka-50 will not have RWR

KA-50-no-RWR.png

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3954660&postcount=174

So ED please make plan for RWR and add it to the cost... use something already in the game. Anyway that's what the Russian do in real life...!

Edited by Murey2

You don't need RWR as it is useful only against AAA with search radar.

You don't get alarm from ranging (IIRC). The radar SAM would benefit from being able find it, but President-S already detects the missile launch direction and range so you get warning.

Problem is that we do not know the new KA-50 glass cockpit systems etc. So such can't be simulated. As the wouldn't be SPO but all on screens.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I single pilot controlling incoming missiles warnings is like too much. The engineer probably banned this warning threat because probably they knew Mi-24 will be at the same battlefield. At the end of the day they end in Ka-5Two, two pilots.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RWR for Helos is super useful that is normally speaking but when the helo have A-A capabilities well it get to be essential!!!

What a weird thing that I read! It's not added to the Ka-50 because it's operated by 1 crew?! WTH?! maybe you have never seen RWR in single crewed fighter jets so please go check them up.

That's great news if the President-S is able to detect all missiles launches, but remember that most of SAMs are 3+ mach so the window of time to react is not existent (because remember that it's low and slow flying craft that make things even worse)!

Most SAMs that you should be worried about are not radar guided.

Red on Red tells me something different, Red on blue with their air superiority screams at me that this statement is simply not correct!

• Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Most SAMs that you should be worried about are not radar guided.

Lol, YEP!

Red on Red tells me something different, Red on blue with their air superiority screams at me that this statement is simply not correct!

If you're worried about Radar SAMs, and they are on the Battlefield, you are up WAYYY too High!

You need to keep tree's and any cover you can between you and those SAMS. Much easier to spot Igla and Stinger near you, than some Tunguska launching 6km away.

Spot the Tunguska at slightly above tree top level. Then dive back down. Keep hills, terrain, and anything else you can between him and you. Then pop-up, and fire a fast moving Vhiker. Soon as you hit, DIVE for cover.

Fighters are my Worst enemy. I've been killed by them flying just above a road between trees and buildings. They can snipe you anywhere.

Edited by 3WA

I said 'SAMs'. :)

That people can't IFF or that some choose to fly their heli into contested (or uncontested, to their own detriment) airspace is their problem ... not sure what you'd want the RWR to do about this. Right now DCS makes helis stealth when they drop below the notch gate value ... and this should really be corrected.

At this point, what good will an RWR do compared to a warning by AWACS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

At this point, what good will an RWR do compared to a warning by AWACS?

And this is why we need Ka-52 as a Group Leader, so it can pass the Ka-50 that info.

I said 'SAMs'. smile.gif

DOH! Took me a sec to get that. Corrected.

And what do you mean by "notch gate value". I've never really understood exactly how that targeting gate works on the Ka-50.

Edited by 3WA

As soon as you reduce speed to a certain level, you disappear off the radar screen of fighters that are at a higher altitude than the helo. It's 'free stealth' for helis that shouldn't be there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

As soon as you reduce speed to a certain level, you disappear off the radar screen of fighters that are at a higher altitude than the helo. It's 'free stealth' for helis that shouldn't be there.

In the DCS there should be no Doppler radars? :)

Original in Russian

В DCS не должно быть доплеровских радаров? :)

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

THIS I shall remember! But, actually it doesn't work. Because I take on the fighters a lot, and even moving very slowly near the ground, they get me. Usually with their guns. I'll try hovering, and see if it works.

But, yeah, as Bulba points out, we should show up in the Doppler like a BonFire.

For Doppler radars, the Notch is generally where the target is not moving much relative to the radar (so, flying at the same speed in the same direction or crossing perpendicular without rapidly reducing or increasing range. ) which makes it harder to detect as doppler detects targets based on their movement toward or away from the radar).

Helicopters, can instead exploit their ability to fly very low and slow to become indistinguishable from terrain. This works two ways:

1) Doppler radars will start to reject contacts that are travelling below a certain speed relative to the ground. This is so the air-to-air radar isn't picking up cars driving along roads, trees waving in the wind, boats etc. Helicopters can easily get below this speed if required.

2) Pulse Radars, which rely on a distinct reflection from a contact with nothing else around it work best when not looking at the ground (which is one giant reflection for them). It is possible for a Pulse radar to see an aircraft that is high enough above the ground to give a reflection before the ground reflection comes in, but for air-to-air radar, this altitude is several hundred feet. So, a helicopter in the trees will usually blend into the ground reflection.

Now, Modern Radars get around this by looking to detect the one thing a helicopter cannot hide, its rotors. The Rotors present a very distinct Doppler effect as the blades are rapidly moving towards and away from the observer as they rotate. If set up for it, the radar will return anything that matches that rapid Doppler flickering as a helicopter. However, due to the smaller comparative size of the rotor blades, a hovering helicopter will be detected at a shorter range than a fast moving one (which presents a normal doppler return just like a plane).

So: To avoid detection, your best bet is to stay low and <60kph when moving in areas likely to have radars that can immediately target you. This is on the premise that any of what have just written is modelled properly in DCS (my experience with AI F5Es suggests it isn't really).

Once you get close enough to fire Vhikrs it is likely that Tunguska and TOR systems will detect you if you are line of sight to them anyway, so you are simply better off exploiting the game mechanic of the countdown they require before launching. ID them at range, mark on the data link and then use DL Ingress to acquire them and fire at closer range before they can react.

This doesn't alleviate the need for an RWR for self protection and target location, but I guess we'll see what ED actually fits. Relying on the Missile Launch Warning is a poor choice as it means a missile is already on its way and it also won't allow you to sniff out search radars either. The fundamental mismatch here is that we are forever flying the KA50 in missions where the threat is far higher than it was equipped for (Chechnya, so no real radar threats) and as there is no other attack helicopter available it keeps getting thrown into MP missions particularly where there are a whole mess of Radar threats.

Mmm, yeah, but usually they won't come at you till they get close. I think only once have I had something like an R-27 fired at me. And yeah, without RWR, you have no warning. You're toast.

Usually, they come at me with their guns.

If you being engaged by a fighter you are either making bad tactical decisions or your pushing the KA-50 into a combat scenario that she wasn't designed for. RWR wont help you in either situation.

Is not really like that. Most of the missions are designed without front line and with poor air defenses units. Of course the choppers will be in a weak situation

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is not really like that. Most of the missions are designed without front line and with poor air defenses units. Of course the choppers will be in a weak situation

Well exactly as i said if you put yourself in a weak situation it's tactically a bad decision, but hey, it's a simulator and half the fun is the challenge, just don't complain when you get shot down or blame it on lack of RWR.

I wonder if the Ka-50/52 can really do anything even if it is notified via RWR that a missile is incoming. I do not recall if the Ka-52 is equipped with chaff dispensers, though...

I guess putting a mountain or a building between the chopper and a land based SAM is useful, but against an airborn launch it should be practically defenceless. Maybe that is why they did not use a RWR in the first place - if a radar guided missile is launched against a chopper it is dead...

Edited by Gloom Demon

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

You cover behind a building, mountain trees whatever but of course you need the warning to do it. We can also work asking to AWACS in case we don’t get RWR. A close 15km fighter is of course a potential threat and you better get in cover. But hey... actually the AWACS comms work?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]