Phoenix changes?

MobiSev

Can someone give me a rundown of what changed with the phoenix, specifically? What exactly was changed with the PN and lofting parameters?

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

I noticed the lofting is less drastic. The missile seems to have more energy during the terminal phase. AI planes have not been very lucky. Rest in pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Seems to go active when TWS is lost and goes to last contact location

I even saw one re engage a TWS after being lost and going active

Also chucking them in general direction active off the rails works far better

Made a kill at about 35 nm like this.

I believe so.

I noticed the lofting is less drastic. The missile seems to have more energy during the terminal phase. AI planes have not been very lucky. Rest in pieces.

Seems to go active when TWS is lost and goes to last contact location

I even saw one re engage a TWS after being lost and going active

Also chucking them in general direction active off the rails works far better

Made a kill at about 35 nm like this.

Sorry if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer lol, but what is PN? What's it stand for?

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Phoenix missile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

All i know is they fixed the lofting and what the missile does when it comes back down and goes active. It was making a hard turn and bleeding all of its energy instantly. Now it is matching the real world test specifications.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Still feels like fire and forget missile. Shot three missiles with different targets and all hit.

Yeah that's an AWG-9/AIM-54 design spec. As long as you're in TWS and the targets are drastically spaced and at drastically different directions and airspeeds you can do that inside of...60nm I think? Don't remember the max range of muti-bogey TWS shots. Once you fired, if you immediately broke radar lock and turned away- that's the only way they would be considered fire and forget...and they are like that inside of 12 miles.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

Sorry if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer lol, but what is PN? What's it stand for?

Proportional Navigation - missile guidance calculations for intercepting the target

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Yeah that's an AWG-9/AIM-54 design spec. As long as you're in TWS and the targets are drastically spaced and at drastically different directions and airspeeds you can do that inside of...60nm I think? Don't remember the max range of muti-bogey TWS shots. Once you fired, if you immediately broke radar lock and turned away- that's the only way they would be considered fire and forget...and they are like that inside of 12 miles.

Except that in real life the Phoenix would never go active on a TWS launch if you turned away before the AWG-9 told them to go active and you didn't launch them hot off the rails (which I don't think could be done in TWS mode).

I'll definitely be interested in testing the new PN model. The sudden 60 degree turn from loft to target was really irritating... Now if only Jester could maintain TWS locks on targets :P

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

Except that in real life the Phoenix would never go active on a TWS launch if you turned away before the AWG-9 told them to go active and you didn't launch them hot off the rails (which I don't think could be done in TWS mode).

I believe it can if you select BRSIT.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239053

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Fireing it with "PH ACT" should be going active right off the rails in TWS. If it can't find a target with its own seeker, it falls back to the WCS guidance.

Basicly "the better" TWS mode, unfortunately, it doesn't loft with that, so the range will be decreased dramaticaly. Also I think, that there is a higher risk that it maybe locks to a wrong target.

But I don't know if the sim is doing that all correct at the moment, have not tried it yet.

Boresight sounds basicaly like the same, except that firing without a lock would be a mad dog and that it is not clear if it falls back to WCS if the seeks looses lock or doesn't find it.

There are still plenty of questions open which the manual is not answering. Unfortunately HB also not.

And the thread you linked to, well, that also got stuck with no more sense...

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Having played around with the changes, I'm a bit less happy with their performance... Backfires aren't that evasive but launched on two at 40nmi and missed with both... still smoking MiG28s at that range. Pretty much guaranteed to never hit anything with a half decent RWR unless inside 20 nmi and the missile is still under power when it finds the target.

Jester is still struggling in the back seat with keeping TWS tracks though... pretty annoying on long range intercepts to loose targets that ate definitely burning towards you at a constant altitude to have the radar lose the track and thus Phoenix guidance. Jester is still horrible at finding targets between 30nmi and when pilot override modes become usable at about 18nmi.

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

Having played around with the changes, I'm a bit less happy with their performance... Backfires aren't that evasive but launched on two at 40nmi and missed with both... still smoking MiG28s at that range. Pretty much guaranteed to never hit anything with a half decent RWR unless inside 20 nmi and the missile is still under power when it finds the target.

Jester is still struggling in the back seat with keeping TWS tracks though... pretty annoying on long range intercepts to loose targets that ate definitely burning towards you at a constant altitude to have the radar lose the track and thus Phoenix guidance. Jester is still horrible at finding targets between 30nmi and when pilot override modes become usable at about 18nmi.

100% agree... wish I could slew the damned radar myself.

I've just started getting into the AIM54 myself and can't hit squat either. I've got three F-4E 'drones' orbiting around, with ROE set to "No reaction", and yet they still react and managed to kinematically defeat an AIM54 even when launched at 16nm, high aspect; flanking, so not ideally head on, but still.

The other 50% of the time Jester loses lock because the enemy pilot sneezed. The only way I can kill anything is with 'winders or guns.

AIM 54 in SARH / STT mode is a beast though, works very well but basically acts as a super sparrow, you have to maintain STT lock. TWS so far is ineffective.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

AIM 54 in SARH / STT mode is a beast though, works very well but basically acts as a super sparrow, you have to maintain STT lock. TWS so far is ineffective.

Yup, set up a head on 1v1 against a MiG-29 and I've nailed him every time, up to 50 or 60 nm if I recall. And that was on the old lofting behavior. Came straight down on him and he didn't even try to evade...

I've just started getting into the AIM54 myself and can't hit squat either. I've got three F-4E 'drones' orbiting around, with ROE set to "No reaction", and yet they still react and managed to kinematically defeat an AIM54 even when launched at 16nm, high aspect; flanking, so not ideally head on, but still.

The other 50% of the time Jester loses lock because the enemy pilot sneezed. The only way I can kill anything is with 'winders or guns.

When the F14 was first available I found the TWS mode to be very good, could take out four tightly packed mig15 from 50 miles easily. Since the recent updates I can't even get a tws lock on a lone mig21 at 40 miles.

Um, guys? We are all flying open beta VS AI right? I tried BVR engagements in the F-14B this Saturday for the first time. I don't count that instant action VS the MiG-23's at launch.

Anyways, i avoided BVR as Heatblur themselves mentioned the RIO and the AWG9 are still WIP, but this weekend my hand finally decided to take commands from the central neural system again and decided to try and regain some of that lost muscle memory. I tried with some ACM at first, then some touch and goes, cold starts and landings. Then before i decided to punish myself and try AAR, i figured i should finally try and lob some buffaloes in anger.

My setup was 1 VS 1, angels 25, distance of 80 nautical miles, intercept course by both AC. The red side was an F-15C armed with 4 AMRAAM C's and 4 Winders, AI set to excellent. I did 6 engagements myself and let the AI do another 6. I used both Mk60 54A's and Mk47 54C's. My launches were at 60+, 50, 40, 30 and 25 miles. The AI fired all its missiles at around 30. The AI scored 5 out of 6 kills. The Eagle evaded the launch via notching and counter measures, then proceeded to counter launch a 120C and score a victory. My own launches were also 5 out of 6 successes. The one launch that failed, was a 54C Mk47 from 40 nautical miles, performed from a relatively low energy state (around 300 KIAS at the time). The Eagle notched, then spoofed the Buffalo. Jester managed to reacquire the bandit however and i proceeded with another launch from around 25 nautical miles. This one homed true.

So my observations are that the AIM-54's are excellent against the AI's. The Eagle actively engaged me and was proactive in its evasive maneuvers, but still got absolutely fried every time. I have no idea how these missiles performed before the update, but they are quite dangerous right now. Unfortunately, i can't say if the Eagle was jamming or not.

If i have any negative issues with this iteration with the AWG9-AIM-54 weapon system right now, it's that the RIO switches to a RWS every time i request a change in the radar range display. I don't know of this is a bug or a feature, but it means you have be aware of it, and be careful not to request the change in critical moments. Maybe Heatblur can say more on the topic.

Hope this helps guys. Cheers and safe flying! :pilotfly:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I'll definitely be interested in testing the new PN model. The sudden 60 degree turn from loft to target was really irritating... Now if only Jester could maintain TWS locks on targets :P

Yeah I know.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk