AIM-54A Mk 60 Year of untroduction? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 06:16 AM   #1
BonerCat

Question AIM-54A Mk 60 Year of untroduction?

Hey, I m looking to do some time accurate missions for the Tomcat, but I can't for whatever reason find what year was the Phoenix with the Mk 60 motor introduced to the fleet. I'd greatly appriciate any info.
Thanks!

Maps and others:
Persian Gulf, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430
BonerCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
near_blind

My understanding is that the Mk-60 and Mk-47 were acquired at the same time during the AIM-54's IOC. So 1970. It wasn't considered an upgrade like we treat it, it was a strategy to source components from two separate suppliers to reduce possibility of a parts shortage.
near_blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
Banzaiib

Quote:
Originally Posted by near_blind View Post
My understanding is that the Mk-60 and Mk-47 were acquired at the same time during the AIM-54's IOC. So 1970. It wasn't considered an upgrade like we treat it, it was a strategy to source components from two separate suppliers to reduce possibility of a parts shortage.
you got a source on that? (not tryin' to be snarky, just interested in further reading)
Banzaiib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
near_blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzaiib View Post
you got a source on that? (not tryin' to be snarky, just interested in further reading)
Nothing direct at hand sadly. If you Google the aerojet mk 60 motor you'll get a few articles and some technowonk forum threads (including one here). None of the sources I could find last night though cursory googling makes a distinction between the mk47 and Mk60 as far as appropriations are concerned, no staggered dates, no impression one is preferred over the other. It's just that both were so option for the AIM-54A.

Compare that to the coverage in the 80s when the Navy pulled a similar move with regards to the AIM-54C, and much Ado is made of Raytheon's selection as a second source supplier. I check tonight if any of my hard copy sources mention anything more.
near_blind is offline   Reply With Quote