Mini Update TDC to Bullseye

TomCatMucDe

Originally Wags wrote: "The bearing and range of the TDC to the bullseye is displayed in the top rightportion of the radar display. See attached."

Is it top right or top left? On the top left I can see and angle and distance. The top right corner is glared.

If Wags really meant top right corner, what is the angle and distance on the top left corner?

Edit: it's corrected to top left corner.

Thanks!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

Edited by TomCatMucDe

Q: B/E

in response to wags' latest hornet mini-update...

looks like BRG/RN _to_ bullseye from ownship is displayed on the b-scope

is there an easy way to see BRG/RNG _from_ B/E?

that is sometimes very helpful information

i know you just subtract 180 (or add) but the less mental gymnastics you've gotta do at critical times the better : )

so i'm just curious if that info is easily displayed somewhere...

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The bearing and range of the TDC to the bullseye is displayed in the top right portion of the radar display. See attached."

Is it top right or top left? On the top left I can see and angle and distance. The top right corner is glared.

If Wags really meant top right corner, what is the angle and distance on the top left corner?

Top Left and BRA is bottom left

"The bearing and range of the TDC to the bullseye is displayed in the top left portion of the radar display.

015o/XX

BRA Option

From the radar DATA sublevel, the BRA option can be selected (boxed) at pushbutton 19. When enabled, BRA (baring) / (distance in miles) of the TDC to the player is displayed within the bottom left tactical area of the display. "

Edited by Alphamale

Top Left and BRA is bottom left

"The bearing and range of the TDC to the bullseye is displayed in the top left portion of the radar display.

015o/XX

BRA Option

From the radar DATA sublevel, the BRA option can be selected (boxed) at pushbutton 19. When enabled, BRA (baring) / (distance in miles) of the TDC to the player is displayed within the bottom left tactical area of the display. "

Wags edited his post. It was originally top right hence my post.

Now it's correct

The own ship position is probably wrong.

You don't want the bearing "TO" the BE, you want your bearing "FROM" the BE, in the the screenshot 083° rather than 163°.

This is how it's done in F-16, Mirage 2000 and all NATO plane I'm sure.

So if some friendly fighter calls "raygun BE 083/ 4.1 " you know it's you, and you can scream "buddy spike" before you get incoming Fox 3 :D

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

You don't want the bearing "TO" the BE, you want your bearing "FROM" the BE, in the the screenshot 083° rather than 163°.

So if some friendly fighter calls "raygun BE 083/ 4.1 " you know it's you, and you can scream "buddy spike" before you get incoming Fox 3 :D

Good point! Maybe it would help reduce friendly kills by 0,0001% :D

in response to wags' latest hornet mini-update...

looks like BRG/RN _to_ bullseye from ownship is displayed on the b-scope

is there an easy way to see BRG/RNG _from_ B/E?

that is sometimes very helpful information

i know you just subtract 180 (or add) but the less mental gymnastics you've gotta do at critical times the better : )

so i'm just curious if that info is easily displayed somewhere...

Drawing a compass rose on paper helps ...... visualize it instead of calculating it, to know approximately where you are in regards to that contact.

Not too different from when ATC gives you traffic information in regards to a VOR NAVAID with radial from and dme distance.

They made a mistake. The correct indications should be:

--------------

Ownship BULLSEYE (bottom middle of display):

(Bearing FROM selected waypoint TO ownship) / (Range FROM selected waypoint TO ownship)

--------------

Cursor BULLSEYE (Top left of display):

(Bearing FROM selected waypoint TO cursor position) / (Range FROM selected waypoint TO cursor position)

--------------

The BRA format (Left bottom inside tactical area):

(Bearing TO cursor FROM ownship) / (Range TO cursor FROM ownship)

Made a quick pic that shows which is which twilightsmile.png

Nice modified pic !

But I do not agree with only one of your 3 arrows : the very small one (relative to the own plane position) !

The "BullsEyes system" is an alternative of the "LatLon coordinate System" for positions on a map.

So when your refer to the BullsEyes coordinates of any object it needs to be the same conventions for everything, the same references !

It means that you need to know quickly your position and the position of your TDC cursor both in B/E coordinates ! So the bearing from the B/E to the point (you or your cusor) !

As it has been previously said here :

Nice modified pic !

But I do not agree with only one of your 3 arrows : the very small one (relative to the own plane position) !

The "BullsEyes system" is an alternative of the "LatLon coordinate System" for positions on a map.

So when your refer to the BullsEyes coordinates of any object it needs to be the same conventions for everything, the same references !

It means that you need to know quickly your position and the position of your TDC cursor both in B/E coordinates ! So the bearing from the B/E to the point (you or your cusor) !

As it has been previously said here :

However the picture shows the relative bullseye point to you not as Jojo said. Look at the coordinates again.

I agree that it makes more sense. Maybe ED has to correct it.

That‘s basically the opposite from Wag‘s mini updates. It also doesn‘t correlate with his screenshot. That‘s a little bit confusing.

Correct.

They implemented it backwards.

The US does not speak from ownship to B/E.. The US speaks from the B/E to the aircraft.

Sif4VkT.png?1

http://www.alsa.mil/mttps/brevity/

ED should know this. Their own AWACS gives bearings FROM B/E to the aircraft/bandit.

There was an interesting Fighterpilot Podcast on this topic recently. At the start of an operation prior to any engagements, AWACS will provide info (on hostiles for example) FROM the BE, as this is useful information to all friendlies listening in. As friendly and enemy groups get closer, individual flights will want info on the nearest hostile in BRA form (as in TO); this is so they can immediately turn in the right direction without having to work out everything from the BE reference point.

There was an interesting Fighterpilot Podcast on this topic recently. At the start of an operation prior to any engagements, AWACS will provide info (on hostiles for example) FROM the BE, as this is useful information to all friendlies listening in. As friendly and enemy groups get closer, individual flights will want info on the nearest hostile in BRA form (as in TO); this is so they can immediately turn in the right direction without having to work out everything from the BE reference point.
That's also in DCS. If you request a picture you get it relative to BE. If you request bogey dope you get it in BRA

Sorry I could have been more clear, but I was backing up jojo's assertion that the BE reference on the RDR display is likely wrong, as well as (hopefully) giving some background info.

I think we pretty much all agree with Jojo here. I hope Wags can have a look at this and correct if it's really as Jojo said. We never know, maybe there is other rationale behind

I think we pretty much all agree with Jojo here. I hope Wags can have a look at this and correct if it's really as Jojo said. We never know, maybe there is other rationale behind

This is unlikely.

As Wag said, the BE is a waypoint. So if you really want bearing TO the BE, just select the waypoint as destination. You will get bearing on HSI and HUD.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

They made a mistake. The correct indications should be:

--------------

Ownship BULLSEYE (bottom middle of display):

(Bearing FROM selected waypoint TO ownship) / (Range FROM selected waypoint TO ownship)

--------------

Cursor BULLSEYE (Top left of display):

(Bearing FROM selected waypoint TO cursor position) / (Range FROM selected waypoint TO cursor position)

--------------

The BRA format (Left bottom inside tactical area):

(Bearing TO cursor FROM ownship) / (Range TO cursor FROM ownship)

So the first one is the other way round and has to be corrected. Makes sense since it doesn't matter to know where the bullseye is at (well, you know it and have it displayed, but don't need exact directions), but it's important to know at glace where you are relative to it. The other ones are as described though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Quick question, I keep seeing the Bullseye being referenced as a waypoint inferring it is part of your flight plan.

Isn't the Bullseye set as it's own separate location apart from your flight plan waypoints or am I misunderstanding the term waypoint?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• ED Team
Quick question, I keep seeing the Bullseye being referenced as a waypoint inferring it is part of your flight plan.

Isn't the Bullseye set as it's own separate location apart from your flight plan waypoints or am I misunderstanding the term waypoint?

Yes, this is what the AI will use in regards to bullseye. Mission designers should set this bulls as a waypoint in the sequence and note it in the briefing so the player can set the A/A waypoint to this waypoint.