AIM9X

Fonz_408

So i was playing around in my F18 with 2 x mig23's and had something happen that i did not think possible, i was at 40,000 the mugs at 15,000 I locked the lead fired a 120c and waited for it to go pitbull i then locked his wing man fired my second 120c no need to wait for pitbull due to the distance then relocked the lead again firing a 2nd 120c at him as this happens his wingman turned back on me at 7nml i changed to Aim9's x and with out unlocking the lead got a IR lock on the wingman and splashed him with my 9x and also splashed the lead with the 2nd 120c i had fired is this normal in the Hornet?

Acer Predator 500 Laptop i7 8750 @ 3.9MHz /16GB DD4 / GTX1070 / 256 SSD

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

Well, I don't own the F-18, but I would think it is totally possible. One is radar, and Active at that, the other, AIM-9X, is passive infrared. One is looking through your radar, and the other is looking through the missile infrared seeker head.

I guess the question would be, could both be active at once?, and I would think so. Even if you changed your SOI, I don't see why the radar should lose lock.

I guess we'll have to wait for an expert to come on to truly answer it, but it's a really interesting question I'd like to hear the answer to as well.

Edited by 3WA

I was doing the same, and I decided to change to another A-A missile after already obtaining lock on an enemy. I changed to the other, it was either like the ones you used or reverse.... anyways, it kept lock during change and I fired. I don't remember being able to keep a lock while changing weapons before. I would have to look up the missile info. As far as I knows sparrows, by themselves, have never had this capability. But I never got to work with the 120/x series in real life. I thought TWS hadn't been implemented yet in F/A-18C ?

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR