DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

Home Fries

DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

• Keep DH/DT with Hdg Hold and BA/RA with Alt Hold (keep apples with apples)
    • Map BA/RA with Hdg Hold and DH/DTwith Alt Hold (like actual panel switches)

flyingflatfour,

Thank you for your reports. I will look into the issues.

Regarding your first post, you are correct that you need to rename the modifiers to JOY_BTN3x to match the modifiers listed in the diff.luas. I was unaware that these changed in non-English versions, and I have updated the Setup Guide to bring attention to this requirement.

Regarding S3 bringing up the comms menu, that's a F-5 thing. The NWS button doubles for a comm switch, so you do get that on the ground, though I believe it only happens before engine start.

Best,

HF

Edited by Home Fries

flyingflatfour,

After reviewing your issues, I have fixed the flap and commswitch mappings for the next release. I have also updated the controller map JPGs to reflect the proper DM/DG alignment.

The engine start, however, requires the MFDs to properly use, as the MFD buttons call the engine start macros for each engine. I highly recommend the use of MFDs for this profile not only for being able to hot-swap modules and functionality on the fly, but the LEDs provide status indicators for additional states (e.g. whether the profile thinks the landing gear is up or down).

Best,

HF

Good morning Home Fries,

Thank you for looking into these issues and for addressing them! :thumbup:

Concerning the S3 button bringing up the comms menu, I’m not sure of what you mean by it being an F-5 thing? Will report further...

As for the MFDs and the start routine: since I play in VR I don’t see how they could be of any real use... would it be possible to trigger the engine start by clicking the actual eng start buttons in the virtual cockpit instead of the MFD physical buttons, or else to map the throttle movements from CUTOFF to IDLE to the HOTAS?

I have another question regarding VAICOM + SRS implementation. The CTS manual seems to be a little outdated and confusing regarding this, so that in the end I don’t understand how to map the directx buttons in SRS and I don’t understand how the HOTAS mapping works with with these utilities?

Ideally I would need to have one mic switch to talk to VAICOM for instance to have the ground crew connect the ground air supply, and another mic switch to talk on the radio via SRS to other players in a MP session, but right now I don’t understand which buttons on my TQS are supposed to do that...

Thanks for your help!

FFF

I'll play with the A-4 and see about putting something in for the next release.

Thanks Don!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

Concerning the S3 button bringing up the comms menu, I’m not sure of what you mean by it being an F-5 thing? Will report further...

The F-5 uses the Nosewheel steering button as a Radio Push to talk in real life, and this is modeled in DCS. When you use the NWS (or shift), you sometimes get the radio menu as a result. It's a module thing, not a profile thing.

As for the MFDs and the start routine: since I play in VR I don’t see how they could be of any real use... would it be possible to trigger the engine start by clicking the actual eng start buttons in the virtual cockpit instead of the MFD physical buttons, or else to map the throttle movements from CUTOFF to IDLE to the HOTAS?

I've always done multi-engine starts with the single throttle as timing routines, but this doesn't work with the F-5 since you need to manually add air to each engine. I don't see a way to make this work with the throttle and not MFDs.

I have another question regarding VAICOM + SRS implementation. The CTS manual seems to be a little outdated and confusing regarding this, so that in the end I don’t understand how to map the directx buttons in SRS and I don’t understand how the HOTAS mapping works with with these utilities?

Instructions on setting up SRS and VAICOM start on page 14 of the Setup Guide PDF.

which combination centers the view in VR with the specific VR UI layer loaded and CTS configured accordingly? I couldn't find the information in the manual or references yet there is a mapping apparently.

Page 11 of the Setup Guide PDF shows how you can change the macros for third party values. In this case, you'll change the TrackIR Center value to what you use for your VR setup.

Hey there, first of all thanks for this amazing utility !

I'm wondering if the issues I am experiencing with the FA18 module while using AGM65F are wide spread or if I am alone.

As you probably know TDC has to be depressed so to slew the AGM65F cursor while looking for targets.

No matter which TDC DOWN key I am using (either slew control or H2 up), as soon as I push it down the cursor starts moving down left or down right, and any effort to move it in different directions doesn't work.

It seems that as soon as the TDC DOWN is depressed, also a direction gets selected as well without any slewing happening.

Of course if I don't keep TDC DOWN depressed I can't move the cursor.

So at the moment there's no way I can target anything with the AGM65F, as getting a target locked by slewing the target designator is pure luck.

Is this something happening just to me ?

The F-5 uses the Nosewheel steering button as a Radio Push to talk in real life, and this is modeled in DCS. When you use the NWS (or shift), you sometimes get the radio menu as a result. It's a module thing, not a profile thing.

Right, got it now ;-) I guess I should be able to remove that mapping in the controls menu ? On the other hand if I can get VAICOM to work properly I will eventually configure it to disable the comms menu altogether.

I've always done multi-engine starts with the single throttle as timing routines, but this doesn't work with the F-5 since you need to manually add air to each engine. I don't see a way to make this work with the throttle and not MFDs.

May I suggest that you offer an alternative by making the script customizable for the F-5E with an option for manual engine start? In this case the player is still responsible for calling air supply (comm menu or VAICOM) and pressing the engine start buttons in the virtual cockpit, whilst still providing a routine that uses the TQS detents to move the throttles one by one from CUTOFF to IDLE? From my perspective as a VR user I believe this gives the most realistic and immersive experience.

Instructions on setting up SRS and VAICOM start on page 14 of the Setup Guide PDF.

I have been going though that section several times, but I still can’t figure out how to assign DX buttons 20-23 to SRS: I can only assign a physical button by pressing it on the HOTAS...which physical buttons do they correspond to? Plus, the SRS GUI has evolved and doesn’t correspond to the manual anymore :smilewink:

And I still don’t understand how, once everything is setup, CTS manages to integrate VAICOM and SRS at the same time? Which TQS buttons are used in this case and how can I as a player choose to speak to SRS or to VAICOM? For instance if I want to request air supply from the ground engineer how is that prevented from being transmitted over SRS at the same time?

I am really sorry for bothering you with these questions but I am totally lost when it comes to this... :doh:

Page 11 of the Setup Guide PDF shows how you can change the macros for third party values. In this case, you'll change the TrackIR Center value to what you use for your VR setup.

Thank you, I will be looking into that.

One more issue I am having concerns the TQS throttle axis mapping: even though I checked that CTS is properly configured for the various detents, in DCS when in IDLE detent the engines spool way above idle and will only sit at idle if the TQS is pulled all the way back to CUTOFF... should I play with DCS axis settings?

Have a good day! :thumbup:

Hey there, first of all thanks for this amazing utility !

I'm wondering if the issues I am experiencing with the FA18 module while using AGM65F are wide spread or if I am alone.

As you probably know TDC has to be depressed so to slew the AGM65F cursor while looking for targets.

No matter which TDC DOWN key I am using (either slew control or H2 up), as soon as I push it down the cursor starts moving down left or down right, and any effort to move it in different directions doesn't work.

It seems that as soon as the TDC DOWN is depressed, also a direction gets selected as well without any slewing happening.

Of course if I don't keep TDC DOWN depressed I can't move the cursor.

So at the moment there's no way I can target anything with the AGM65F, as getting a target locked by slewing the target designator is pure luck.

Is this something happening just to me ?

It's not just you. The slewing in-game needs work, and the devs have acknowledged it.

FWIW, for the next release of the script, you will be able to double-tap the TDC to keep it on (either H2U or SC/T1), then quick-tap the same button to release the TDC.

Right, got it now ;-) I guess I should be able to remove that mapping in the controls menu ? On the other hand if I can get VAICOM to work properly I will eventually configure it to disable the comms menu altogether.

Not much you can do with this, unfortunately. Unmapping the nosewheel steering means you won't have NWS either. However, I think that once the engines are on, this comm menu is disabled in-game.

May I suggest that you offer an alternative by making the script customizable for the F-5E with an option for manual engine start? In this case the player is still responsible for calling air supply (comm menu or VAICOM) and pressing the engine start buttons in the virtual cockpit, whilst still providing a routine that uses the TQS detents to move the throttles one by one from CUTOFF to IDLE? From my perspective as a VR user I believe this gives the most realistic and immersive experience.

I won't be able to use the Throttle idle detent because it's just a single axis, but one thing I have done in other planes that have 2 throttle detents is apply it to the speedbrake button during startup. I'll look into a timing routine that remaps the speedbrake while you call for engine air, but this won't be quick and there are no guarantees, especially since I already have engine air mapped to the MFDs.

I have been going though that section several times, but I still can’t figure out how to assign DX buttons 20-23 to SRS: I can only assign a physical button by pressing it on the HOTAS...which physical buttons do they correspond to? Plus, the SRS GUI has evolved and doesn’t correspond to the manual anymore :smilewink:

And I still don’t understand how, once everything is setup, CTS manages to integrate VAICOM and SRS at the same time? Which TQS buttons are used in this case and how can I as a player choose to speak to SRS or to VAICOM? For instance if I want to request air supply from the ground engineer how is that prevented from being transmitted over SRS at the same time?

VAICOM and SRS are integrated at the same time because they use the same buttons. For example, pressing the button for radio 1 (DX20 I think) presses it for both VAICOM and SRS. It just means that people with whom you fly online will hear your VAICOM commands, but that's just the nature of the beast.

I realize that VAICOM has updated since my coding (it's been about 10 months since I coded the routine), and I haven't kept up with the changes. I know there's a "multiplayer" option now but I'm not sure what it entails. Integrating VAICOM was such a massive undertaking that I'm really wary to change it now until I have a good plan moving forward.

As far as which buttons to assign, think of the comm switch as the A-10C mic switch, where forward is Radio1, down is Radio2, and aft is Radio3. Up is your TS3/Discord PTT. That's how you should assign your DX buttons in SRS (the VAICOM profile is already included with the script). Ideally, your configuration should match Figure 10 on page 15 of the Setup Guide PDF.

Because you're using a Cougar, you can reassign the alignment of the comm switch to match what intuitively works for you (see page 11 of the Setup Guide PDF), but map your DX based on the Mic Switch assignments.

One more issue I am having concerns the TQS throttle axis mapping: even though I checked that CTS is properly configured for the various detents, in DCS when in IDLE detent the engines spool way above idle and will only sit at idle if the TQS is pulled all the way back to CUTOFF... should I play with DCS axis settings?

No need to mess with the DCS axis settings, but you may need to adjust your throttle settings in CTS. On the CTS Values tab, go to the Global -- Throttle Options - Cougar category and tweak the Idle Detent low and high end values to match your axis.

Evening Home fries, I have had a lot of misbehaviour since the latest update for the harrier linked to the detent, its not recognising any movement past the detent for power

Clarification: Previously the left axis when pushed to detent resulted in 0 Degree Nozzel - this is still true.

Right axis to detent resulted in approx. 103% RPM, and when you pushed past detent it pushed up to Max rpm - now max rpm is reached at detent.

Is there anyway for me to down grade my cts?

Edited by tea_cypher
ClarificatioUn

I have a question about the detent settings as well, this has been ongoing so I don't think it's related to any of the recent stuff. Before I go too far down a rabbit hole I was hoping you could confirm that the import files for the WH have custom user curve values built in?

The reason I ask is because for at least the F18, F15 and F5 my afterburner (with physical detent) would juuuuust barely engage at the top. I played with the CTS settings for this for a while one night and couldn't ever get it quite right. Finally, I just unticked user curves and everything worked fine.

This could be a few things...

1. I do have the custom 3d printed detent that allows for pushover, it might be a mm or two short causing the 'issue'
  2. I once upon a time followed a guide to add my own throttle curves, they might be stuck
  3. While unlikely there is an issue on the CTS side or I got a bunk throttle etc

As an aside, would it be possible to have a toggle in the software to map either the coolie switch or TMS to serve as slew controls for the TDC? I hesitate to call it VR favored option but maybe it is considering the trades in various profiles. I used to use NOiDS profiles in my jets and that is the biggest thing I miss, not having to use that little makeshift mouse.

For the F-18 in particular if you wanted to stay as true to life as possible the coolie would make sense as the current function is redundant to the TMS and you could always map the radar elev as a /I for the TMS up/down. For the FC3 (I just fly the F-15) I think the same thing is basically true where you could use the DMS switch, which TBH works better as a TDC controller but I understand and appreciate how you try to keep it realistic as possible.

Hi HomeFries,

Reporting back on 2.27, I can confirm that the T7 button mapping is fixed for the F-5E. :thumbup:

The mappings on the COMM SWITCH for the radar mode and range are still half-broken though: CW and CCW are still inverted:joystick: :D.

Concerning the VR center issue I was having, you suggested modifying the TrackIR center command in CTS settings to the one used by my VR setup. However, I did configure CTS for VR and loaded the corresponding .lua for the UI layer in DCS.

What I did instead was to directly edit the Thrusmaster Virtual Device assignment in the DCS controls menu under UI layer - VR - VR center and pressed S3+S4 on my Cougar, which now works.

Maybe the VR lua that you provide was broken for this function?

Concerning the TQS detents, I carefully read the references and I am confused at to what the Idle detent actually is: do we agree that it is the second click when you move the TQS from full aft?

If yes, then measuring the axis values I find 1.5% and 8.4% respectively which I have setup in the CTS GUI. The behaviour I now get is that I need to set the TQS in between the two clicks for the engines to run at idle. Is this correct?

As a sidenote, by default the HOTAS CCP axis values have a 5% upper and lower deadzone for the throttle, making it impossible to read the appropriate raw values for the calculation. Maybe it would be useful to add this information in the references? BTW, do the CCP settings for axis have any influence when using TARGET?

Keep up the good job :thumbup:

VAICOM and SRS are integrated at the same time because they use the same buttons. For example, pressing the button for radio 1 (DX20 I think) presses it for both VAICOM and SRS. It just means that people with whom you fly online will hear your VAICOM commands, but that's just the nature of the beast.

I realize that VAICOM has updated since my coding (it's been about 10 months since I coded the routine), and I haven't kept up with the changes. I know there's a "multiplayer" option now but I'm not sure what it entails. Integrating VAICOM was such a massive undertaking that I'm really wary to change it now until I have a good plan moving forward.

As far as which buttons to assign, think of the comm switch as the A-10C mic switch, where forward is Radio1, down is Radio2, and aft is Radio3. Up is your TS3/Discord PTT. That's how you should assign your DX buttons in SRS (the VAICOM profile is already included with the script). Ideally, your configuration should match Figure 10 on page 15 of the Setup Guide PDF.

Because you're using a Cougar, you can reassign the alignment of the comm switch to match what intuitively works for you (see page 11 of the Setup Guide PDF), but map your DX based on the Mic Switch assignments.

I think I am starting to understand but things are still confused in my head - how can the MIC SWITCH Left / Right on the TQS be used simultaneously for Radio2 / TS3 and for Radar Range DECR / INCR on the F-5E ? :helpsmilie:

Furthermore how do I assign the proper buttons in SRS ? When the script is running and configured for the F-5E module, pressing the MIC SWITCH forward or aft doesn't make SRS react when trying to assign radios. MIC SWITCH Left and Right works but shows up as Keyboard 13 and 12 respectively... :helpsmilie:

@Home Fries, I think you have a minor issue in the "SnapsView.lua" from SnapViews Classic Default v227.zip for SnapViews["F-86F Sabre"]

Array member 14 for VR is out of membership, lines 1677 to 1688

[13] = {--default view
	viewAngle = 85.000000,--FOV
	hAngle	 = 0.000000,
	vAngle	 = -7.591541,
	x_trans	 = -0.053361,
	y_trans	 = -0.066925,
	z_trans	 = 0.000000,
	rollAngle = 0.000000,
},
} <---------- THIS SNEAKY CRITTER
[14] = {--default view - VR
	viewAngle = 85.000000,--FOV
	hAngle	 = 0.000000,
	vAngle	 = -7.591541,
	x_trans	 = -0.053361,
	y_trans	 = -0.066925,
	z_trans	 = 0.000000,
	rollAngle = 0.000000,
},
},
}

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

One more question regarding the VAICOM + SRS integration: would it be possible for the F-5E, since it only has one radio, to affect the COMM SWITCH aft button to interphone (TX5) instead of AUTO (TX4)?

That way I could talk to the ground engineer for air supply without everyone else hearing over SRS in multiplayer sessions :thumbup:

Edited by flyingflatfour

Evening Home fries, I have had a lot of misbehaviour since the latest update for the harrier linked to the detent, its not recognising any movement past the detent for power

Clarification: Previously the left axis when pushed to detent resulted in 0 Degree Nozzel - this is still true.

Right axis to detent resulted in approx. 103% RPM, and when you pushed past detent it pushed up to Max rpm - now max rpm is reached at detent.

Is there anyway for me to down grade my cts?

There's no way to downgrade CTS (I don't have that level of version control), but I haven't messed with the Harrier's throttle routine in some time. It could either be a module FM change or the fact that engine RPM in the Harrier as a percent isn't static, but based on pressure altitude and outside air temp. The best way to check your axis is to run the Device Analyzer and move the throttle to make sure it goes to its logical limits.

I have a question about the detent settings as well, this has been ongoing so I don't think it's related to any of the recent stuff. Before I go too far down a rabbit hole I was hoping you could confirm that the import files for the WH have custom user curve values built in?

The reason I ask is because for at least the F18, F15 and F5 my afterburner (with physical detent) would juuuuust barely engage at the top. I played with the CTS settings for this for a while one night and couldn't ever get it quite right. Finally, I just unticked user curves and everything worked fine.

This could be a few things...

1. I do have the custom 3d printed detent that allows for pushover, it might be a mm or two short causing the 'issue'
  2. I once upon a time followed a guide to add my own throttle curves, they might be stuck
  3. While unlikely there is an issue on the CTS side or I got a bunk throttle etc

You can always adjust the AB detent settings in CTS (under Throttle Options - Warthog) to match your own detent, then see if the curve works as is.

As an aside, would it be possible to have a toggle in the software to map either the coolie switch or TMS to serve as slew controls for the TDC? I hesitate to call it VR favored option but maybe it is considering the trades in various profiles. I used to use NOiDS profiles in my jets and that is the biggest thing I miss, not having to use that little makeshift mouse.

For the F-18 in particular if you wanted to stay as true to life as possible the coolie would make sense as the current function is redundant to the TMS and you could always map the radar elev as a /I for the TMS up/down. For the FC3 (I just fly the F-15) I think the same thing is basically true where you could use the DMS switch, which TBH works better as a TDC controller but I understand and appreciate how you try to keep it realistic as possible.

Maybe in the future, but right now that ship has sailed.

The mappings on the COMM SWITCH for the radar mode and range are still half-broken though: CW and CCW are still inverted:joystick: :D.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the report.

Concerning the VR center issue I was having, you suggested modifying the TrackIR center command in CTS settings to the one used by my VR setup. However, I did configure CTS for VR and loaded the corresponding .lua for the UI layer in DCS.

What I did instead was to directly edit the Thrusmaster Virtual Device assignment in the DCS controls menu under UI layer - VR - VR center and pressed S3+S4 on my Cougar, which now works.

Maybe the VR lua that you provide was broken for this function?

I don't use VR, but programmed the buttons based on the inputs of others, and I have no way to test it. If I need to make changes in the code or the manual, please let me know with specifics.

Concerning the TQS detents, I carefully read the references and I am confused at to what the Idle detent actually is: do we agree that it is the second click when you move the TQS from full aft?

If yes, then measuring the axis values I find 1.5% and 8.4% respectively which I have setup in the CTS GUI. The behaviour I now get is that I need to set the TQS in between the two clicks for the engines to run at idle. Is this correct?

You can actually feel two detents very close to each other, which are the lower and upper limits to input for the values in Throttle Options - Cougar. I coded it so that you go to idle when the throttle clears the upper detent, and to stop, when the throttle clears the lower detent. The zone inbetween is a dead zone as far as idle/stop logic goes.

As a sidenote, by default the HOTAS CCP axis values have a 5% upper and lower deadzone for the throttle, making it impossible to read the appropriate raw values for the calculation. Maybe it would be useful to add this information in the references? BTW, do the CCP settings for axis have any influence when using TARGET?

Try using the Device Analyzer on the Cougar without the profile loaded. This should give you the values you need. The Throttle Options - Cougar section in the Advanced Configuration Guide tells you how to convert the value to the percentage you need. You can get there from the hyperlink associated with that value in CTS. Just select the Cougar Idle Detent row (either low or high), then click on the question mark icon to load the Advanced Configuration Guide.

I think I am starting to understand but things are still confused in my head - how can the MIC SWITCH Left / Right on the TQS be used simultaneously for Radio2 / TS3 and for Radar Range DECR / INCR on the F-5E ? :helpsmilie:

The F-5 has only one radio (UHF), so the other comm switch mappings are freed up.

Furthermore how do I assign the proper buttons in SRS ? When the script is running and configured for the F-5E module, pressing the MIC SWITCH forward or aft doesn't make SRS react when trying to assign radios. MIC SWITCH Left and Right works but shows up as Keyboard 13 and 12 respectively... :helpsmilie:

I recommend loading the A-10C, or a FC3 aircraft with 3 radios. You should have the proper assignments then.