How do you play, VR or Track IR?

CBenson89

TrackIR here until the next gen VR headsets with increased resolution as well as the VR improvements in DCS and implementation of Vulkan.

+1

Very interested and because of my age - I think it will be the final big item in SIMS for me. Hopefully, a hi-res version will be available sooner than later and that DCS continues to improve the VR interface.

Looking forward to the immersion.

+1

Very interested and because of my age - I think it will be the final big item in SIMS for me. Hopefully, a hi-res version will be available sooner than later and that DCS continues to improve the VR interface.

Looking forward to the immersion.

I have tried out VR in DCS with the Oculus Rift and the immersion is incredible and it is something I will without a doubt upgrade to someday. Like you however, I hope the next generation of VR and higher resolution will be here soon, although; I haven't really heard of anything on the horizon. I am also a little concerned as well about what type of hardware the new VR headsets will require.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

VR for me, I have been flying Rift for 2 years this Jan. Resolution is not that bad and comparable to my monitor comparing the VR portion displayed to the HMD image yes more will be better.

Colour rendition is not as good as it could be but still acceptable my personal consideration is that the colour in Rift seems oversaturated giving images a "cartoony" appearance again first gen devices and apart from a lack of adjustment within the Rift software it's not a deal breaker.

A wider field of vision will be better and I'm guessing 2nd maybe 3rd gen devices will bring wider FoV and higher resolution, just duno if that also means FTW4080Ti and i12 CPU's will be needed and associated mortgage on the house to pay for it. :P

Immersion and depth perception especially for helicopters and low level work it's a complete game changer for me, I doubt I could go back to a flat screen indeed I tried that once and it's no longer a option it's simply just flat.

As for comments re at my age and so forth I'm 60 I wear glasses for reading, driving etc but with rift it's perfectly clear and in focus without them which for me is amazing. so you other ole farts might want to give it a go. :D :thumbup:

As for your rig DCS and VR craves GPU and CPU power not saying it wont work it's just you will probably feel the urge to upgrade, just saying. :music_whistling:

I have never used TiR so can'y really comment apart from there would be a disconnect for me with head movement verses scene movement not being 1 to 1 however I would expect you'd get used to it.

Okay a short video of course you won't get the stereoscopic effect and depth perception but the image is about the same on screen as it is in VR

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

VR for me, I have been flying Rift for 2 years this Jan. Resolution is not that bad and comparable to my monitor comparing the VR portion displayed to the HMD image yes more will be better.

Colour rendition is not as good as it could be but still acceptable my personal consideration is that the colour in Rift seems oversaturated giving images a "cartoony" appearance again first gen devices and apart from a lack of adjustment within the Rift software it's not a deal breaker.

A wider field of vision will be better and I'm guessing 2nd maybe 3rd gen devices will bring wider FoV and higher resolution, just duno if that also means FTW4080Ti and i12 CPU's will be needed and associated mortgage on the house to pay for it. :P

Immersion and depth perception especially for helicopters and low level work it's a complete game changer for me, I doubt I could go back to a flat screen indeed I tried that once and it's no longer a option it's simply just flat.

As for comments re at my age and so forth I'm 60 I wear glasses for reading, driving etc but with rift it's perfectly clear and in focus without them which for me is amazing. so you other ole farts might want to give it a go. :D :thumbup:

As for your rig DCS and VR craves GPU and CPU power not saying it wont work it's just you will probably feel the urge to upgrade, just saying. :music_whistling:

I have never used TiR so can'y really comment apart from there would be a disconnect for me with head movement verses scene movement not being 1 to 1 however I would expect you'd get used to it.

Okay a short video of course you won't get the stereoscopic effect and depth perception but the image is about the same on screen as it is in VR

Thanks for the vid. I'm somewhat surprised at the clarity represented after reading so much about "screen door" effect and other complaints.

FWIW you can add another 13 years to yours and my sooner than later comment was in regards to longevity. :)

What is the resolution of your RIFT?

Thanks again for this.

Thanks for the vid. I'm somewhat surprised at the clarity represented after reading so much about "screen door" effect and other complaints.

FWIW you can add another 13 years to yours and my sooner than later comment was in regards to longevity. :)

Thanks again for this.

Awesome. :thumbup:

Do have a look at Gripes323 vid that looked great I was waiting for the G effects with some of the manoeuvres.

Yes the screen door effect or SDE can be an issue for some people, for me I can see it if I focus on it or effectively filter it out.

There are prescription lenses available for them as well if necessary.

Also keep in mind there is aliasing, moiré and other artefacts in VR again this can be controlled to an extent by settings in game again I can filter these out to an extent if it's at/below a certain level.

DCS is also not as well displayed as some other VR titles however for the immersion VR offers I'm okay (for the time being) with the failings of current VR tech.

I have the CV1 so it's 1080*1200 per eye It's a bit misleading when they say 2160*1200 however something to keep in mind the field of view is something like 110deg so you effectively have half of a 2K screen but it the same res wherever you look and is kinda like flying with a diving mask on. Sigh!

VivePro looks okay at 1440*1600 per eye but may need to consider hardware perhaps someone with experience could chime in with details of hardware requirements. It is near double the pixels.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Thanks again for this.

Just to be clear - that video is taken from the desktop mirror, it's not filmed from the headset, so you're not seeing what it actually looks like inside. This is a better illustration of what it actually looks like if you sat in the position in the middle and then put a camera in front of the lense and zoomed in on the dials (i.e. this looks worse than it does in the headset, but gives you an idea of how the dials look from the normal position):

attachment.php?attachmentid=194152&d=1537196259

Right there with you, got my Rift at same time ( Jan 2017), I am 60 (going on 75 unfortunately) and have never been able to go back to monitor, and yes I tried it once to see.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Vr rulezz no back to 2d screen

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

Just to be clear - that video is taken from the desktop mirror, it's not filmed from the headset, so you're not seeing what it actually looks like inside. This is a better illustration of what it actually looks like if you sat in the position in the middle and then put a camera in front of the lense and zoomed in on the dials (i.e. this looks worse than it does in the headset, but gives you an idea of how the dials look from the normal position):

Mmm no that image really doesn't show the resolution correctly otherwise my Rift CV1 is somehow near as good as the primax 5K and I would expect better from 2.5K/eye. The vids are pixel for pixel mpeg encoded and near enough. :thumbup:

I was Track IR for a few years, until I got the Rift CV1 in may 2016, and then I was all VR. But since 2.5 I have struggled to maintain a certain level of performance. Is easy enough in simple missions or free flight stuff, but in larger missions or MP, im often dropping below 45 fps, and I really hate that, or any x size stutters. Im so stutter sensitive, and really sensitive to sub 45 (VR) or sub 60 (TIR).

So as of a few months I go, I dusted off my Track IR, and have slowly started to use it again, as my main way of flying in DCS. Just got tired of chasing fps in VR really. So VR is grounded until ED release their VR optimization - what ever it brings, and/or their Vulkan API.

Both have their pro and cons, but end of the day, I think either gives me equal amount of pleasure, just in different ways. But if could get as smooth performance in VR as on monitor, with shadows enabled, atleast medium view distance, and a PD at 1.3-1.5'ish, then Id choose VR as my main way of flying again.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Both. With I choose depends on what aircraft and mission I’m flying. Although more often than not the monitor and thus TIR wins over VR due to resolution. I’ll see if that changes when my Pimax arrives.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

VR, because in helicopters the VR downsides don't matter

and all the VR plus points help exponentially.

it even beats trackIR and 3dvision which I had before

even 3d on a monitor is just looking at a 3d world through a flat window.

its is not being there , which is what VR is.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

VR is like a cheap drug you can't shake. Since I started using VR I haven't been able to go back to Track IR despite the shite graphics. It's such a shame to have these unbelievably detailed and beautiful models but only view them blurry. But... the immersion factor is what makes the difference. Nothing makes me 'feel' as if I'm in an actual cockpit like VR does and that's the difference that keeps me using VR.

Wow real old school, tho I do use
in VR.

I use VR with a modified label dot so I can see targets or just use the DOT setting that ED has made Red/Blue which is even easier. I mostly only do small mission, the new F/A-18 missions work well with a PD @ 1.6 to hold 45 fps.

Track IR for multiplayer so I can see the targets.

Once the VR rez gets there, it will be no going back to a flat 2D screen. So for now I just enjoy it where I can with the highest PD, graphic setting and missions to hold 45 fps.

Flying Case 1 and flying choppers in VR is just awesome and much easier because of the depth perception.

how do you use snapviews in vr?...to my knowledge thats not possible, except setting the standard view...

Is there pic like this with a Rift included?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

track ir for me, I really don't like vr at all

Wow how so, did you have issues with your VR.

VR addicted here. Never looked back to 2D. Problem is I have a physical cockpit and integrating VR with a physical cockpit is not complementary. I'm hopeful that a Mixed VR solution allowing for a VR world with a Physical cockpit might be more intuitive down the road ...

no, I prefer to look at a screen...or two, VR although good in some things just turns my stomach in flight sims, plus I think its more immersion breaking hunting around for keys/shortcuts/mouse etc than just playing on a good pc and screen

Okay I understand but I think that's part of it.

When I first got my Rift I took the Huey out and it was AMAZING! I mean I loved Avatar not for the Null Plot but the 3D imagy. Anyhow after the Huey I took the Gazelle out and well after about 10 minutes I had to land it and take a break. It will pass. :thumbup:

Track IR, I have a vive but don't enjoy it in DCS due to the lack of image quality. I have a pimax 5k+ kickstarted specifically for DCS. Once I get that I am hoping to make the move to full time VR in DCS.

Don't get me wrong I'd like more resolution than my Rift has but looking at CPU/GPU requirements just to keep Rift happy @ 4FPS I'm not sure how that will end up under DCS for "5K" as it currently stands. Perhaps the upcoming VR improvements will help with existing hardware.

I've got long-standing neck issues that saw me get a sore neck with a 140g audio headset, so VR is not an option for me. I really like my track IR (with geek antlers on baseball cap) and I don't feel a lack of immersion.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)