Mig15bis vs. B52?

animaal

Hi, I'm new to Soviet jets generally, and the Mig15 in particular, and looking for a little advice on realistic missions.

I set up a little intercept mission, with the target being a B52. Is this a natural situation? I ask, because the Internets tell me that the wingspan of the B52 is 185ft, which translates to 56m However, the wingspan dial for the Mig-15 gyro sights only goes to 45m.

Secondly, at 25000ft, the B52 seemed to be as quick as I was. I spent ages chasing him in a circle, 1-2km away, with me at maximum power. I eventually caught him somwhow, and downed him with a single cannon round. What power those cannons have!

I know the Mig15bis appeared in 1950, slightly before the B52 in 1954, but wouldn't the Mig-15 have been Russia's primary defense against it?

Or am I on the wrong path? Is there a more suitable/realistic intercept target for a Mig-15?

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Well, I think the MiG-15's primary target was the B-29, which had a top speed of 357 mph / 570 km/h compared to 650 mph / 1,047 km/h for the B-52H and 1,076 km/h / 669 mph for the MiG-15.

So for the MiG it would be hard to catch up with a B-52, which I can imagine, was one of the design criteria for the B-52 (to be hard to intercept).

But based on service dates, MiG-15 vs B-52 is a reasonable matchup.

Personally I like hunting B-17's with the MiG-15. Maybe not historical, but lots of fun.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I would not recommend the B-52 for hunting when in the MiG-15 (perfect for the 21 though). The BUFF is just too fast for the MiG-15, and IMO the MiG-15 was definitely outclassed by 1955 (think about the difference in aircraft from 1940-1945). The MiG-19 which also entered service in 1955, is a much better matchup (keep in mind B-52's during this period all had tail gunners), but we won't have the MiG-19 for a little bit.

If I was you I would use C-130 or ideally the B-17 as a stand-in for the B-29, B-52 is just from a different period from the MiG-15, even if it was just a few years difference.

Or am I on the wrong path? Is there a more suitable/realistic intercept target for a Mig-15?

Sorry to be the one saying that but you had just experienced the less appealing side of DCS. Which is that as afar as the MiG-15 is a great module by itself there is almost zero content for it. You may try to look on the forum for the B-29 but the B-52, especially modern H variant which we have in DCS is way too fast for MiG-15 which was created in prop engine bombers era.

Unfortunately MiG-15 is not the only module facing problems with a lack of content and AI units to simulate environment from its native era.

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Sorry to be the one saying that but you had just experienced the less appealing side of DCS.
Although I fully agree on the general lack of period opponents for the MiG-15, one could argue that the (early version) B-52 is actually a period opponent for the MiG-15 and a quite interesting one at that.

Imagine the problems that Soviet air defence had at time of the introduction of the B-52 and similar fast nuclear bombers. Although the MiG-19 and 21 followed quite rapidly, I imagine that the MiG-15 was still the Soviet Unions most numerous fighter/interceptor in the late 1950's. After all it was produced in massive numbers and it would have taken time to replace all of them by newer types.

Actually I couldn't find out when the PVO (and VVS) phased out it's last MiG-15's. This information would be interesting to know.

Edited by Zius

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Actually I couldn't find out when the PVO (and VVS) phased out it's last MiG-15's. This information would be interesting to know.

It's usually not that easy to find such information. My general comments was related to the current state of DCS - in which we have the modern H variant of B-52. While I could imagine the MiG-15 fighting the B-52, it would be more probable to see it intercepted by MiG-21, 19 or even 17.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

MiG-15 was replaced by MiG-17 in most units by 1954-1955

http://www.ww2.dk/new/air%20force/regiment/iap/iap.htm

Thanks, really interesting!

Both the speed of development and production was really amazing in that era, especially compared with the modern age where the bulk of most airforces still consist of 1970's designs (F-16, F-18, F-15, MiG-29, Su-27 etc.) and the total number of fighters even for countries with a decent sized economy is below 100...

I must say, this is the best thing about the DCS community. I came here wondering why I was finding my canned mission difficult, and I end up understanding how disruptive the introduction of the B-52 must have been, and how worrying it would have been to any remaining Mig-15 units. Not to mention the pace of development back then.

Thanks again!

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick