Monstertech Sim Rig for the A-10C

Pixar

Hi guys,

I recently put together my home cockpit for the A-10C and used the Monstertech Sim Rig components for it. You can find their website here:

www.monstertech.de

The structure is build by using aluminium profiles and it is very rigid and stable. Nothing is shaking or moving. I am really impressed! :thumbup:

Everything can be adjusted to you your body dimensions so that you can sit completely comfortable in your cockpit. Also this rig can be easily extended by other components.

I am using two screens for my view. One 27 inch screen for the main view and one 24 inch touchscreen that I am using with Helios.

Thrustmaster Warthog of course and the VKB rudder pedals. As a seat, I used my DXRacer gaming chair.

I set up everything nicely now and velco'd away all the cables. Using a touchscreen and sitting in a "cockpit" moved my flying experience to a whole new level. I am really happy with it and wanted to share it with you guys.

Hope you like the pictures.

Have a great day,

Pete

IMG_E5349.JPGIMG_E5349.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5363.JPG

show?code=XZwvzp7ZyD9Dc8U0fyp0SsHCzyT2IQhqLMyy

Asus TUF Gaming Z690 Plus Wifi D4 ** Intel i9-12900K ** RTX3090 Gigabyte Gaming OC ** 64 GB DDR4-3600 G.Skill Ripjaws ** Samsung 980 Pro M.2 ** Windows 11

• 7 months later...

NICE!!!

How has nobody responded to this! Great looking PIT. I'm going to do the exact same thing. I was already checking out MT and you've sold me. I have to ask some questions. Did you buy their monitor stand or make your own? How did you mount up your helios screen with the correct angle and what size screen is that for your helios monitor. Can you bring the monitor stand any closer or is the center stick stopping you from getting closer. Finally what are the base dimensions for the SIM rig? Great post.

I also have a MonsterTech sim rig. The monitor stand looks like the same one that they sell on their site (note that the site shows a newer version of the stand):

https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/tv-mount-expansion/

With 2 additional horizontal aluminum extrusions for a 2nd VESA mount. The tilt is done by the VESA mount itself:

https://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vesa+tilt+mount

You'll need one with M8 mounting holes so that you can mount it to the 40mm extrusion.

Thank you Ranma. I just ordered from MT. The full setup. $915.00 Euros with shipping :cry:

I have a few questions:

Should I order the additional extrusions from MT? Email them for example, or should I just use framexpert and render/order it from a local supplier? To save time do you happen to know the EXACT length of extrusion to order and which fasteners? I have never worked with 8020 extruded aluminium.

Second I appreciate the links. What length M8 and what hardware for attaching to the rail do I need? I hate to be a a noob but do you have a specific link to a product you would recommend. The closest thing I could see on that last link has one that I think will work (depending on the M8 thing) but it looks like if I mount horizontal on the extrusion it will articulate left right instead of up/down. The only other thing I could find was one from ricomtech that is exactly for aluminium extrusion but doesn't articulate at all.

Next I ordered a sparco R100 as per MT's recommendation from their prototype build video. Does the order include all the hardware to attach the slider and seat mount aluminium? How do you like the product over all? I'm shocked because the cost to build it myself using xpert and buying locally exceeded to base on MT. Shipping was crazy but, hard to tell what that would have been in another procurement local, foreign etc.

What is the normal MT lead time right now, if you know. I didn't see anything on the site and wasn't notified at checkout. I don't presume you will know that, butwas wondering how long it took to get yours.

Thank you! We dropped some serious coin today. Computer, pit, hotas, track IR monitors, cougar MFD's, xk 60and want to make sure everything is right. I REALLY apprecite your reply. OP if you see this please chime in.

Thanks again.

You should buy a 10cm extension for the warthog stick and mount it 10cm lower.

More realistic. More precise piloting

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I haven't seen this rig before. One aspect that strikes me as unique is that nearly everything appears to be adjustable via slots:

Seat forward/aft position

Center stick height

Throttle height

Throttle forward/aft position

Rudder pedal forward/aft position

Display height

etc.

Something like this could be useful to adapt the pit dimensions to match a particular aircraft, especially for VR purposes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's is adjustable on almost every point. Ive done a crap load of research. It seems like the best rig out there you can buy. I was going to build my own in a similar way. Their rig is actually cheaper. Their customer service is amazing so far. Shipping from Germany to US......not so awesome.

I want this rig so bad ....shipping to the US is killer :(

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

The center stock low with a long cyclic would be easy to do with this rig. Two problems. The seat needs a crotch notch to clear the extension and I’ve yet to find someone who makes a crooked extension with the correct geometry. This rig allows the tm warthog to be turned to any angle so your wrist is in line. This makes flying. MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE. As a recovering Elite Dangerous player I can’t say how important this is whether side or center stick. So with the base offset to say 15-18 degrees, you would need a long extension with a crook or set back and a modified seat to clear the hook.

Should I order the additional extrusions from MT? To save time do you happen to know the EXACT length of extrusion to order and which fasteners?

I don't have the monitor stand, so I can't give you the length. If you haven't bought the stand yet, it's probably going to be easier to ask MonsterTech to include them, since they'll fit nicely into the shipping box and the price isn't that much more than what you can get at the retail level. Otherwise, you'll want to look at 40mm extrusions. 8020.net is not the only supplier, but in their catalog the 40 series parts is what you want to be looking at.

What length M8 and what hardware for attaching to the rail do I need?

That will depend on the VESA mount you plan to use. The M8 bolts can't be too long or too short. I used 12mm for my VESA mount. To attach the VESA mount, you'll need M8 bolts/screws and roll-in T-nuts. You'll get some spares with the MT sim rig, but otherwise you can either purchase them from MT or on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=roll-in+t+nut&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=roll+in+t+nut&_osacat=0

As for the VESA mounting plates, the ones I use are the VideoSecu ML302B, which can be mounted horizontally while allowing the monitor to be vertical:

https://i.imgur.com/xzIfw4d.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Plasma-monitor-bracket-ML302B/dp/B001ME9ZUO

But they were discontinued recently and I can't find any in stock. Since this is just an OEM VESA mount, there are other companies that sell basically the same mount:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TygerClaw-Tilting-Wall-Mount-for-13-in-30-in-Flat-Panel-TV-LCD201BLK/206426859

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Inland-Tilt-and-Swivel-Arm-TV-Wall-Mount-for-13-in-30-in-Flat-Panel-TV-s-with-30-Degree-Tilt-50-lb-Load-Capacity-05315/206659971

It's pretty hard to find similar VESA mounts though due to the variety of different mounts out there, and very few of them will tell you how large their mounting holes are.

Does the order include all the hardware to attach the slider and seat mount aluminium?

You're in luck, I have the same seat. You will need additional mounting hardware. Sparco only gives you the seat, and MT gives you the bolts you need to mount the seat, but not the rails. In my case, I picked up the Sparco slider set because not only does it allow the seat to slide, but also adds the least amount of height:

https://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Slider-Seat-Track-Set/dp/B000G0V21U

How do you like the product over all? I'm shocked because the cost to build it myself using xpert and buying locally exceeded to base on MT. What is the normal MT lead time right now, if you know.

MT gets their extruded aluminum through wholesale channels and cuts it in-house, so it's gonna be a lot cheaper than going through the retail level where each piece needs to be cut through a service. Lead time is usually 3 weeks, though they may have pushed that back due to the recent demand for their table mounts.

I like the rig, but that's more because of how customizable it is rather than the product itself; in the end, it's just extruded aluminum and you can buy extra parts and customize it as you would any extruded aluminum rig. I recommend watching the 8020.net video series on the parts that they have, there's quite a few and gives you a good idea of just what you can do with your rig:

And their eBay store is where I would pick up any parts that don't need customization. They only offer UPS on their official website, but on eBay they'll use USPS, which is significantly cheaper:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/8020inc/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I would treat the MT sim rig as a nice base that you can start adding your own customization on top of. If you've never used extruded aluminum before, it will also give you a good idea on how the parts connect together and what placement options are possible.

This rig allows the tm warthog to be turned to any angle so your wrist is in line.

One thing to be aware of: if you're using the Warthog base with the MT mounting plate, you can rotate the base, but it will also rotate your axis in-game, and will feel weird because every time you move the stick 'forward', you'll be fighting against the springs for both axes instead of just one. If you plan to center mount, it's best to use a base that allows the stick to rotate independently of the base.

Also, I used to use the VKB MCG Pro with the curved extension on the center mount, but in order to clear the seat while pulling all the way back, I had to raise the stick higher than what I consider comfortable. I also had issues with it hitting my second monitor while moving it forward all the way, especially with the trigger flipped up. In the end, I went with no extension.

As a recovering Elite Dangerous player I can’t say how important this is whether side or center stick.

I recommend that you go with whatever makes you more effective, regardless if it's 'realistic' or not. A center-mounted stick will make it harder to get in and out of the cockpit, and may also block whatever is behind it, like a keyboard or a MFD. A side-mounted stick can't be used with an extension, but it frees up the center area for any controls you may want to have there.

Edited by Ranma13

Excellent reply Ranma. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions point for point and for giving me links. I think I have a much clearer picture after your response and I think ill be in seat a lot quicker because of it. Seriously, thanks.

One last question about the MT base for the TMW Grip; it looks like the MT base is slotted to allow the entire assembly to rotate on the MT plate which would let the axis be lined up with the angle. So for reference the yellow arrow would be turned offset from the six o clock position more to the 4:30 or 5:00 position so that the wrist is straight. This angle will of course vary depending on my body type but it seems like pushing forward from the say 5:00 position for instance would mean pushing directly against one set of springs and would be consistent with pushing straight forward in a traditional way. I hope i'm making sense. As I rotate the entire TMW grip anti clockwise and tighten against the slotted channels on the MT base will this effectively change the gimbal angle? For reference i'm thinking I would be pushing from the direction of 5:00 o clock and a nose dive would be the stick to the 11:00 o clock position. Thanks again. If this is not correct please let me know or if there is a product that will allow me to rotate the stick and not the base and you think that's better, let me know what I should be looking for.

Is there a Karma or upvote system for users?

This will depend on how well you can acclimate yourself to the new angle. A quick test you can do is to put the Warthog stick in between your legs and rotate it to the 5 o'clock position, then moving it around and see how you like it that way. For me, I couldn't get used to how I have to push 'forward' at 11 o'clock; the stick felt more comfortable in the hand, but I still wanted to move it to 12 o'clock.

Virpil's MongoosT-50 stick allows you to rotate it independent of the base, and you can use it with either the Thrustmaster base or the MongoosT-50 base. VKB's MCG stick and Gunfighter base also allows independent stick rotation. As far as I'm aware though, aside from the FSSB R3 (which is out of the price range for most people), there's no hardware out there that allows the TM stick to be rotated because the rotation feature has to be part of the stick, not the base.

I have some pieces already and was thinking of trying to build the base myself as shipping to the US is killer ....anyone have the measurements of the pieces marked red?

40257944_1844217815668767_3302512392411283456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0c97689061c3b05eb2e733f036e5ad90&oe=5C031A89

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Will do .......where did you look to order parts from?

I used a program called framexpert which you download. You build in 3D in a cad like program and I it tally’s The cost as you go. I think it’s 2015 pricing but that’s bad for us not good. It was so close to MT that for me it wasn’t worth it. I am however looking for a Vesa Mount for the second smaller monitor that will enable tilt and mount as shown in the beginning of the post. It must lock in position because physical controls will be mounted to it. If you stumble across something in your travels please DM me. If you google framexpert you will find the software I’m talking about. If you want accurate pricing build it in xpert pront the materials manifest and go to work at 80/20.net. I believe prices have gone up from 2015. Also know that there are different grades of a given channel type. 40 series for example has a lightweight and standard profile. Make sure your making an apples to apples comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here it is. Wire management and some odds and ends. The finish product is nice and very stable. That’s about the only thing I can really give a glowing review about. Assembly was an absolute nightmare. 14 hours of pure hell on earth. Missing hardware, NO instructions. Nothing of any kind. Not even a link to online instructions. Web and MT.de turned up nothing. YT video still frame from prototype videos were used for the construction of expansion units. Shipping was too expensive. Make your own order plates from them for the specialty stuff. Pics for those who care.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgk6khn09jw141a/Photo%20Sep%2015%2C%2023%2002%2014.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swx1o5x8bnhmjap/Photo%20Sep%2015%2C%2023%2002%2038.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mj97oikol4ssjf/Photo%20Sep%2015%2C%2023%2002%2058.jpg?dl=0

Edited by drmorrish

• 2 months later...

I priced out the 8020 tubing , bulk length , not precut to length . $420 + shipping (estimated $100 to US midwest) All the specialty stuff from MT , including MFD mounts , no rudder pedal mounting straps-$240 + doubtless another $100 shipping . The hardware is also outrageous , and i didn't even bother to make a detailed parts list as it became obvious that yes , you cannot build this as cheaply as you can buy it from MT , even with overseas shipping . And all that is not considering the additional charges to cut to length and drill the access holes needed in several of the tubes . This pricing was for the basic sim rig with an extra center post and MFD mounts , no monitor stand .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2