Helicopter Purchase

iKyrThraad993i

I am currently looking into the SA-342M Gazelle but I read so many other threads around the forum and want to make sure that the Gazelle is going to be supported and developers are not going to run away.

I am not looking to start a bashing contest here and want to make sure my purchase is well worth it.

Not sure what you're expecting here.

After all, only the development group are going to understand the financial health of their company and whether they'll still be in existence.

As for the Gazelle, bought it myself last Thurs. I already own the Huey, Mi8 and Ka50.

Have to say, I really like the Gazelle. Feels miniscule after the other helicopters and requires more subtlety to fly it smoothly. Damn good fun though.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Agree fine control and to that end what you get out of the Gazelle will largely come down to setting your controls up to best suit.

To be honest the Gazelle old flight model got a lot of flack but the guys have supported their product with updates and even a new variant. the current Gazelle is for me at least awesome that's not to say perfect and the guys at Polychop are also working on a new model so I don't expect them to disappear. Worst case as I understand if they did the code would be handed over to ED so it wouldn't be the end.

Now for input I have cyclic and collective and pedals and I'd consider that as needed for heli's in general and the Gazelle especially.

Some info on using a joystick with the Gazelle.

I fly all the Heli's but the Gazelle is my goto for FUN! And as I discovered last night you can do loops in the Gazelle without causing rapid disassembly of the aircraft. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I bought it two days ago. It is my first helo, so I can't comment on the difference with the others but all I can tell you is that I have already clocked 4 hours in all 3 variants + probably the same in training missions.

I'm loving it.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of missions and content, but thanks to that I'm finally messing with the mission editor. I already have two practice missions for the Mistral and the L variant.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No other dev have ever abandonned support of a developped and sold module.

Yes support and bugFix can take some time (hawk, mirage, [you name it]...) but eventually they all get upgraded.

(and btw, i got the gazelle during the sales, and despite its "different" FM, i love it)

Oh, I haven't noticed. Since instant missions were very basic and it has no custom missions, I didn't bother with campaigns.

Good to know!

If you really like the gazelle, I really advise you to join a squadron to fly with it. it is in a group that the gazelle gives its full potential in the role of recognition and destruction of heavy armor

If you really like the gazelle, I really advise you to join a squadron to fly with it. it is in a group that the gazelle gives its full potential in the role of recognition and destruction of heavy armor

I know, my problem is that currently my rig cannot run 2.5 so I can't play MP. I bought it looking forward to being FAO in MP games and also because it is fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Gazelle is relatively easy to fly and is truly aerobatics capable. Spritely machine and a lot of fun.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Just to point out, in my experienced opinion I am unimpressed with both the flight model, the joystick implementation and the force feedback implementation. I absolutely adore the gaz in theory but it just doesn't fly like a helicopter.

Bare in mind that what I want from the module is authentic flight modelling, not so much the weapons, so that's where my analysis is coming from.

Hope this helps you.

Ben :)

i5 4690K, GTX1070, 24GB 1800mhz, HP WMR, Custom FFB helicopter controls.

Hi ben1101,

can you express your knowledge (experienced opinion) or your testimony about Gazelle's non "prototypical" flight model as a helicopter with any profound and / or professional knowledge, e.g. as a (helicopter) pilot underpin? The OP should be very interested in a professional opinion.

Thanks

birkenmoped

For what I have read, the "on rails" sensation the flight model has is because of the SAS, but the Gazelle flies that way. In fact I had the same sensation when I transitioned from the Su25T to the A10C. The SAS just makes everything easier. And in case you don't want to use it, just disconnect it. You will experience raw helicopter madness then.

I'm not a Gazelle pilot, but if the developers said real french Gazelle pilots tested the flight model and said it was close to reality, why should we be suspicius?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's difficult to call, on seeing how nimble this helicopter is plus stability systems, it can do what we see of the actual thing. I fly real world too, though never touched rotary.

Edited by ouPhrontis
irrelevant noise

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Bear in mind this helicopter is incredibly nimble, it will loop without loss of altitude; given sufficient airspeed, and these helicopters are in many private hands too, so you don't need to take my word for it.

Claims made without evidence can just as quickly be dismissed without evidence.

Fly well.