Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

He guys....

I had an real weird issue with this cool app....

The last month it won't run. It hangs right at the splash screen....

So what are my findings:

After deleting everything which was createt by Kneeboardbuilder I could knock it down to the fact.....

I do have FC3 as module and I do have the F15C, Su27 as well as the Su33.

Don't ask why....

But if all modules are installed Kneeboardbuilder doesn't like it that there are some double Aircraft!!!

After uninstalling the standalone modules via "DCS Updater Utility" from Skatezilla....

Kneeboardbuilder runs again like a charm!!!!!

Maybe this help somebody?

Regards

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

Won't Save DCS Install Location

I have DCS installed on my F drive. I point Kneeboard Builder to it, close it, and it shows up as C drive again in Kneeboard builder. I can't get it to save my F drive as the DCS location. Any ideas?

Capture.PNG.be898beb81eeca85c583c2d6a245db64.PNG

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Edit the config file manually?

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

It's weird, but it seems to save it in there properly, but still shows up as C: in the application, which would be OK, except that none of my settings are saved, such as the location. I’ve configured the settings to have the kneeboard at the top left (x=0, y=0) and it shows up at the bottom right instead. If I knew where the kneeboard location is stored in DCS I suppose I could edit it manually...

Capture.thumb.PNG.0934b05999b240aa026673432865ce53.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.8ee0360eabcb3ba62e2ae64a6f870274.PNG

IMG_2727.thumb.jpg.1245a250bc40fdbd864d5cb610de2578.jpg

Edited by steven43291

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is pretty much the advanced kneeboard thread, I have a question:

I have somehow managed to squish my kneeboard into a non-3:4 aspect ratio and it's making everything look a bit silly. This is on a completely fresh install, without KneeboardBuilder installed, but with some user config files carried over from older installs, so my immediate assumption is that there is some setting hidden in that lot that is screwing me over.

The question, especially for AlaskanGrizzly since he has built a utility that can alter the sizes and positions of the kneeboard, is where on earth I find that setting? I've looked around, but nothing immediately leaps out.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 2 weeks later...

Great tool! However I'm having issues with the custom kneeboards for each aricraft (SU27, SU25T, UH1H) only having the first page of the default (Caucusus) kneeboard showing in-game (MP). Oddly it seems intermittent and sometimes coincides with my kneeboard previous/next page joystick binds being removed?!

Even then using the default keyboard binds, the pages won't advance or don't seem present. It also only happens to some aircraft but not others in the same session e.g. custom kneeboard pages for SU25 but only the first/single default kneedboard page for the SU27. This is despite all aircraft specific directories containing the required custom kneeboard images. This combined with the weird joystick bind removal, makes me think it's a DCS specific issue.

I do not have the stable DCS branch installed, only the OpenBeta. Upon start-up for the Kneeboard Builder, the path to this beta install is always blank, despite setting each time the builder starts, and even editing the config file then setting it to read-only! Unsure if this 'blanking' is related to the above issues but the drop-down menu above the path is also correctly set to "OpenBeta".

Any suggestions for troubleshooting or bug testing?

edit: I'm also finding that the Kneeboard Builder program is not unloading from memory leading to multiple instances. I'm running with Win10 x64 with latest .NET Framework 4.5 or higher.

Edited by mad rabbit

Iirc you must load each pad in its own file like namep1.pdf namep2.pdf etc

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I'm having issues with the custom kneeboards for each aricraft (SU27, SU25T, UH1H) only having the first page of the default (Caucusus) kneeboard showing in-game (MP). Oddly it seems intermittent and sometimes coincides with my kneeboard previous/next page joystick binds being removed?!

Even then using the default keyboard binds, the pages won't advance or don't seem present. It also only happens to some aircraft but not others in the same session e.g. custom kneeboard pages for SU25 but only the first/single default kneedboard page for the SU27. This is despite all aircraft specific directories containing the required custom kneeboard images. This combined with the weird joystick bind removal, makes me think it's a DCS specific issue.

Related thread. Seems to be a persistant bug with DCS as suspected c.f. problems with Kneeboard Builder.

http://forums.eagle.ru:8080/showthread.php?t=179389

Related thread. Seems to be a persistant bug with DCS as suspected c.f. problems with Kneeboard Builder.

http://forums.eagle.ru:8080/showthread.php?t=179389

Have you selected in the preferences "Don't use default charts"?

If so. Deselct it!

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

Have you selected in the preferences "Don't use default charts"?

If so. Deselct it!

I've never selected it. However to be sure I've selected and then deselected it again.

Interestingly, an error message appeared in regards to not being able to find 'DCS.exe' in the '/bin/ directory. I believe this relates to the previous issue I mentioned above in regards to the Kneeboard application not keeping the path to the OpenBeta directory, despite numerous reattempts to set it (whilst running the program as admin). This pathing field always remains blank.

I've even tried to set it myself before startup by editing 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config' and '<add key="DCSpath" value="" />', but this field always stays blank!

EDIT: Being unable to turn kneeboard pages after create a custom kneeboard also encountered by another on a different forum: http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?3102-DCS-Knee-Board-Builder&p=59617&viewfull=1#post59617

EDIT2: Another mention of the kneeboard key assignment and inability to change pages bug in these forums here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178610&

EDIT3: And here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181335&

EDIT4: And here:

Edited by mad rabbit

Incorrect Kneeboard position

I have been using the Kneeboard builder for some time but now have a problem with the position of the kneeboard.

The attached images show the settings and the actual result. I left the screenshot whole to include all screens to explain that I am running the four screens separately, i.e. 3 over 1 and not in surround, which is a fairly recent change from surround so it may be the cause, also I can't be sure how it relates to DCS updates as I haven't used DCS for a few months.

I also attach my

/Kneebuilder/Config/All/klem's profile.prof

and

/Kneebuillder/KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config

in case they help.

Settings.thumb.jpg.db918d24952296c18c8ade1a5f9efe89.jpg

1465671433_FA-18Actual.thumb.jpg.a0077cbbe107004ac1385b06dac35dd9.jpg

klem's files.zip

SettingsDetail.thumb.jpg.1569a21d9886633a71081f91a00caaad.jpg

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Kneeboard Settings are not usually taking effect. On rare occasion, the kneeboard position/size has changed, but now it is not.

Have tried moving the "Saved Games/DCS" directory, toggling lite mode, relocating the KneeboardBuilder.exe application, launching in both VR and NoVR modes, system restarts, etc.

System tray icon does not show up as depicted in the manual.

What could I need to do to apply these settings?

I have been using the Kneeboard builder for some time but now have a problem with the position of the kneeboard.

Same problem here, I can move the kneeboard correctly when I'm using one monitor but when I'm using three the kneeboard sticks to the bottom right corner.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit - CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - MB: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200 - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX2080ti

Controllers: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

Head tracking: FaceTrackNOIR+FreeTrack 3 Points Cap

VR headset: VALVE Index

Same problem here, I can move the kneeboard correctly when I'm using one monitor but when I'm using three the kneeboard sticks to the bottom right corner.

Kneeboard builder doesn’t support multiple monitors. We’ve all got that problem. Go into viewporthandling.lua and set the position manually.

Kneeboard builder is still great to use for the content.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

Thanks. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit - CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - MB: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200 - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX2080ti

Controllers: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

Head tracking: FaceTrackNOIR+FreeTrack 3 Points Cap

VR headset: VALVE Index

Kneeboard builder doesn’t support multiple monitors. We’ve all got that problem. Go into viewporthandling.lua and set the position manually.

Kneeboard builder is still great to use for the content.

Thanks Steven,

I did just find such a file mod in another thread and all fixed now.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Is there a way to have the. Folder structure added to the app. Ie you want to add kB docs to a. Specific aircraft you select. The aircraft tab then. Select the specific aircraft from a pull down list of available aircraft. If you want it for a specific map you select Athens map tab then map from pull down list for general the general tab, for mission specific docs you select the mission tab the browse for the exact mission in this case ir would need to. Change mission type to zip. Then insert the docs in the correct folder structure then rename. To miz type file. The others could be saved to. A specific directory then. You could either manually move the folders or use a game manager to. Add it. Developers could you please add this function in the future?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Is there a way to have the. Folder structure added to the app. Ie you want to add kB docs to a. Specific aircraft you select. The aircraft tab then. Select the specific aircraft from a pull down list of available aircraft. If you want it for a specific map you select Athens map tab then map from pull down list for general the general tab, for mission specific docs you select the mission tab the browse for the exact mission in this case ir would need to. Change mission type to zip. Then insert the docs in the correct folder structure then rename. To miz type file. The others could be saved to. A specific directory then. You could either manually move the folders or use a game manager to. Add it. Developers could you please add this function in the future?

It's a nice idea especially as I have several folders in my FA-18 kneeboard which simply 'roll through' in-game. Unfortunately I think it is a function of the game and not controllable by the kneeboard builder.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

If the kbb(kneeboard Builder). Created the folder structure and placed the new files in the correct folder then all you would need to do is manually copy the folders over to the correct folder in dcs or the better solution imo is have it saved to a specific directory then use ovgme to add the folder To dcs. The folder structure would be determined by which tab and subsequent choices the user makes. If needed I could build an externally app that would take the files and through the same system mentioned above and create the folder structure and place the files in it then create a profile in ovgme that would place the folders in the correct location in dcs. But having this built in to the kbb and hopefully a button that open your game manager in my case ovgme then I could enable the folder in ovgme so that when I run dcs the kB files are in the kB . kB files can be general ie available to all, restricted by aircraft, map or mission or a combo of all three ie all ac in the mission or all ac in the map or just the uh-1 in the mission

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

If the kbb(kneeboard Builder). Created the folder structure and placed the new files in the correct folder then all you would need to do is manually copy the folders over to the correct folder in dcs or the better solution imo is have it saved to a specific directory then use ovgme to add the folder To dcs. The folder structure would be determined by which tab and subsequent choices the user makes. If needed I could build an externally app that would take the files and through the same system mentioned above and create the folder structure and place the files in it then create a profile in ovgme that would place the folders in the correct location in dcs. But having this built in to the kbb and hopefully a button that open your game manager in my case ovgme then I could enable the folder in ovgme so that when I run dcs the kB files are in the kB . kB files can be general ie available to all, restricted by aircraft, map or mission or a combo of all three ie all ac in the mission or all ac in the map or just the uh-1 in the mission

I'm not sure but I think that is effectively what I have done, here's my KB structure under Saved Games. It seems that the DCS kneeboard facility will not recognise subfolders. The folders and contents simply do not appear in the KB when it is opened in-game.

1215809359_FA-18CKneeboardfolders.thumb.jpg.d790980f6671524f60ec452d750f6a3a.jpg

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'