Funny fact: Am I the only one who starts all missions from cold start?

Frag

320 members have voted

1. 1. Funny fact: Am I the only one who starts all missions from cold start?

• Yes, the cold start is my way to get in the mood.
    • Pfff no, it's a lost of time.

I would even say that I do not like missions that starts in mid air ... this is such a buzz killer for me.

Don't ask me why I don't know, but I DO have to start that thing by myself to get into it.

Cold starts here too. When you're constantly practicing bringing everything on-line from a cold start, you're better-prepared to do those things in emergency situations.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Cold starts here too. It gets me in the proper mindset before a mission. If I know that I can spawn and get airborne quickly, then I take too many risks in the AO that would be unrealistic.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I think the question has been answered. You are not the only one who does cold starts.

The beauty of DCS is it gives you the choice:

have all the time in the world, then cold start

have limited time/distractions/family/pets/etc use autostart or airstart

Choice is good.

Anyone who thinks they are especially awesome for only cold starting and anyone else is inferior because they don't always should back away from the keyboard and go outside to get some perspective. This community has room for everyone no matter what their preference is :)

I think the question has been answered. You are not the only one who does cold starts.

The beauty of DCS is it gives you the choice:

have all the time in the world, then cold start

have limited time/distractions/family/pets/etc use autostart or airstart

Choice is good.

Anyone who thinks they are especially awesome for only cold starting and anyone else is inferior because they don't always should back away from the keyboard and go outside to get some perspective. This community has room for everyone no matter what their preference is :)

I don’t think anyone in this thread feels superior for cold starting.

Speaking for myself I am just exercising one of the choices (that you correctly pointed out) that allows players to experience DCS on their own terms.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for all missions. When I do test missions, and I test a lot, I place aircraft as close to initial position as I can. It would be ridiculous to repeat a test 50 times from cold and dark scenario - complete waste of time.

Ah yes. I think we all do this. Air starts and hot starts for testing, but when it’s go-time, cold starts to set the mood.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I used to be a hard-core dedicated study sim guy and wanted to always do cold-starts. But after having started up thousands of times in the real thing (military helicopter pilot), it gets a bit old (it's the same thing over and over again)! Plus my attention span in my old age (39) is getting the best of me.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I used to be a hard-core dedicated study sim guy and wanted to always do cold-starts. But after having started up thousands of times in the real thing (military helicopter pilot), it gets a bit old (it's the same thing over and over again)! Plus my attention span in my old age (39) is getting the best of me.

Haha, exactly what I was going to say! I spend all day at work doing checks and maintenance flights, on my downtime I don’t want to feel like I’m at work.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Sometimes cold starts. Sometimes not. With more complex modules, playing my own missions, I tend to start on the runway, because I don't really see the point of going through such a long procedure when I know that I will be dead in a few minutes anyway! Those missions are all about quick and easy fun!

If I am doing a proper campaign mission though, cold start is all part of the atmosphere.

One exception is the MI8 cause I find its immersion breaking in VR to have to constantly switch between seats!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Yes. Cold starts only, too. Anything else doesn't feel good. :D

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I have my valet do it. Starting the thing is just too beneath my social standing.

Actually, when I fly with my squadron, it's always cold and dark to cold and dark with the occasional sudden stop mid-air due to circumstances created by other circumstances... or, the surprise landing in some welcoming mountain side.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I perfer to cold start it is kinda of:thumbup: jarring otherwise

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Yeah, what do those filthy casuals even think what DCS is about? It's called Digital Cold Start for a reason...

This :megalol:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I can't even answer the poll. There is at least one middle-ground answer. I practice cold-starts in most of the DCS modules. I bought all that were ever offered for sale, but never got to fly the P-40 and have lost the ability to fly the Hawk. But I am an air-to-air fanatic. So, I play a lot of the instant action missions or a few I have created for myself. But when I am in VR and just tooling around, I prefer to cold start. VR + complete flight from cold start to shut down is an amazing experience. But I don't always fly with VR and I don't always cold start.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]