DCS World Sound Mod

This mod aims to offer alternatives to many of the vanilla sound files in order to improve realism and immersion in DCS World.

Version 5 brings the mod up to date for DCS World 1.2.10, adding many new and modified effects (i. e. explosions, tank gun sounds, the Ka-50, the P-51D, the Fw 190D-9 etc.). For a detailed changelog please see below.

The mod is now compatible with JSGME.

-> Instructions for the installation with or without JSGME can be found in README.txt.

What does this mod contain?

-> New weapons sounds for cannons, machine guns, rifles etc.

-> Sounds for aircraft and helicopter engines

-> Sounds for tanks, trucks etc.

-> Explosion effects, ricochets etc.

-> Adjustments to vanilla sounds

-> and more...

I plan to add more comprehensive preview videos of Version 5, but this is going to take some time.

Have fun! :)

---> EDIT (12. September 2014) <---

Updated download-links for Version 5 from ED:

DCS Sound Mod - Part 1

DCS Sound Mod - Part 2

DCS Sound Mod - Part 3

DCS Sound Mod - Part 4

Download total: 209 MB

---> PREVIEW Version 4 <---

More videos:

---> CHANGELOG Version 5 <---

Changes from V4 -> V5:

-BombWind.ogg

-WheelSlide.ogg (modified)

-MG131_L

-MG131_LEnd

-MG131_R

-MG131_REnd

-MG151_L

-MG151_R (added)

-ExB1

-ExB2

-ExB3

-ExF1

-ExF2

-ExF3

-ExS1

-ExS2

-ExS3

-ExIn1

-ExIn2

-ExIn3 (added; P-51D)

-ExhaustStart

-ExSm1

-ExSm2

-ExSm3

-ExSm4

-ExSm5

-ExSm6

-ExSmDeaf1

-ExSmDeaf2

-ExSmDeaf3

-ExSmDeaf4

-ExSmDeaf5

-Shutdown

-ExhaustStartIn

-ExRIn1

-ExRIn2

-ExRIn3

-ShutdownIn (added; P-51D)

-Gun2A42

-Gun2A42Low

-Thunder1

-Thunder2

-Thunder3

-Thunder4 (modified)

-background.ogg

-Field.ogg

-Field_Night.ogg

-Sea.ogg

-Town.ogg

-Water.ogg

-Wind1.ogg

-Wind2.ogg

-Wind3.ogg

-Wind4.ogg

-Wind5.ogg (added)

-M3P

-M3P_End

-Utes

-Utes_End

-M2_Browning

-M2_Browning_end

-ExplodeGround1_1

-ExplodeGround1_2

-ExplodeGround1_3

-ExplodeGround1_4

-ExplodeGround2_1

-ExplodeGround2_2

-ExplodeGround2_3

-ExplodeGround2_4

-Fire.ogg (modified)

-ExB1

-ExB2

-ExF1

-ExF2

-ExhaustStart

-ExR1

-ExR2

-ExS1

-ExS2 (added; Fw 190 D-9)

-Prop1

-Prop2

-Prop3

-PropIn2

-PropIn3 (added; P-51D)

-Browning_1L

-Browning_1R

-Browning_2L

-Browning_2R

-Browning_3L

-Browning_3R

-Browning_EndL

-Browning_EndR

-BrowningIN_1-2

-BrowningIN_1-2_End

-BrowningIN_3-4

-BrowningIN_3-4_End

-BrowningIN_5-6

-BrowningIN_5-6_End (added)

-GAU8Cannon

-GAU8CannonIn

-GAU8CannonLow

-GAU8CannonLowIn

-GAU8End

-GAU8EndLow

-ExplodeAir

-ExplodeAir0 (modified)

-73mmGun_1

-73mmGun_2

-73mmGun_3

-73mmGun_4

-105mmGun_1

-105mmGun_2

-105mmGun_3

-105mmGun_4

-120mmGun_1

-120mmGun_2

-120mmGun_3

-125mmGun_1

-125mmGun_2

-125mmGun_3 (modified)

-MG131IN_L

-MG131IN_LEnd

-MG131IN_R

-MG131IN_REnd

-MG151IN_L

-MG151IN_LEnd

-MG151IN_R

-MG151IN_REnd

-ExhaustStartIn

-ExIn1

-ExIn2

-ExIn3

-ExRIn1

-ExRIn2

-PropIn2

-PropIn3

-ShutdownIn (added; Fw 190 D-9)

(some of the new effects are modifications of ED´s vanilla effects - although similar, they are not identical)

---> CHANGELOG Version 4 <---

Aircraft:

- new Ka-50 sounds

- new APU sounds

- improved IL76 sounds

Weapons:

- improved: Ak-74, M16, L37A2, M249, PKT, 2A72, 2A42, Tunguska 2A38M,

GSh23, GSh301, GShG, M3P, YakB, M242, M2 Browning, M3P and M163 Vulcan sounds

- new 73mm, 105mm, 120mm and 125mm cannon sounds

Ground vehicles:

- new BMP, M1 Abrams, Challenger 2, M2 Bradley, BTR80, Leopard1, Leopard 2, LAV25,

LVTP7, ZSU-23-4 Shilka, Marder, M1126 Stryker, T72, T80, T90 and FV 520 Warrior engine sounds

- new generic tank & truck engine and tank movement (light & heavy) sounds

Explosions:

- complete overhaul

Missiles:

- complete overhaul

Miscellaneous:

- new richochet, ground impact and fire sounds

- new radar rotation and turret rotation sounds

- replaced sounds from other mods in previous versions

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

thanks buddy for the heads up

i will test it and report

also keep in mind to make one video demostration in the future for your work;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Here is a quick video I put together that showcases some of the new effects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpAqnVgB5zU&feature=youtu.be

- 1st part is Ka-50, A-10 and other fixed wing aircraft until 4:55

- 2nd part after 4:55 is rotary wing aircraft

- 3rd part from 7:40 is vehicle effects and explosions

EDIT: The download link currently does not work until it has been reviewed by ED. I´ll update it as soon as it is ready... :(

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

thanks buddy...:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

so what happen to the downloads?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Yeah, sorry. I changed the description and apparently ED doesn´t check the uploads/edits duiring weekends (understandably so) and it might be until tomorrow or so until it becomes available again... I´ll update the link in the first post as soon as it is ready again.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Very good mod!

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Thank you very much for the feedback!

I have compiled a second updated version of the mod in which a number of effects has been improved or replaced.

The download and a detailed description can be found here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/348090/

Once I find the time I plan to make a better video that showcases the mod as well as revisiting the current explosion effects and posibly adding more...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Sounds amazing. Will check it out. Thanks for making them. I love the explosion/gun effects. :D

edit... most of the sounds are only 2 channel. Also,I think the original 1.2.4 flanker and eagle engine sounds are good enough.

Edited by Witchking

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

nice thanks buddy...

Sounds amazing. Will check it out. Thanks for making them. I love the explosion/gun effects. :D

edit... most of the sounds are only 2 channel. Also,I think the original 1.2.4 flanker and eagle engine sounds are good enough.

What do you mean by that? Should they be one channel? ;)

And yes, the jet engines of Su- 27 and F-15 are something I will have to check again, too. The stock files really aren´t bad.

Additionally, in 1.2.4 they seemingly don´t work the way they used to in 1.2.3 (changes in .sdef?! ), so the files included here don´t really have the intended effect...

But thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

hank you :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

UPDATE Version 3:

With the release of 1.2.5 I went back and revisited large parts of the mod to improve some of the old effects and add several more to the compilation.

I consider the current version of this private mod pretty much final at this point, but if further changes are implemented by ED or if I find some more good material, I might revisit and expand it more at some future point.

Next I will try to find the time to make an updated demo video for the mod.

A brief overview of the changes in V3:

- redid the aircraft engine effects (tweaked the ED stock files a little)

- redid/refined some of the explosion effects

- redid/refined several weapon and missile effects

- tweaked some of the stock UH-1H effects

- added new eninge sounds for tanks

- adjusted volume of some effects

With the addition of new effects the mod now exceeds the 100MB upload limit in the user´s files section, so it had to be spilt into two parts.

Download link part 1 of 2:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/436723/

Download link part 2 of 2:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/436724/

PLEASE TRY OUT THIS MOD AND FEEL FREE TO LEAVE SOME FEEDBACK!

Enjoy!

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

NOTE: While I created most of the files myself, I also included/mixed sounds from other people´s packs into this. If anyone recognizes his own material and wishes credit or for it to be removed, please contact me. There are some quite obvious ones, but overall it is too great a number of files to keep track of all the material and where it came from.

I think u should have contacted other people prior to using there sounds first.

my audios are freeware, but does state do not redistribute in user section with mine,

so am hoping u didn't use any of my audios.

good luck with the project though anyway what you've created.

Edited by diveplane

Yeah, you´re right, and I should have worded that differently...

But as I explained via PM, the only files that I included directly are some old Ka-50 sounds that I still had on my hard drive from a previous install and which I couldn´t identify.

The overall goal of this mod is to create new effects.

Basically, during the creation of this mod a very small number of samples may have been mixed together with my own to create nuances or echos, but at a level where they are no longer individually distinguishable. Too many files and versions of each effect to know for sure. That´s why I added the statement (plus the Ka-50 thing).

The process was not to search other people´s existing work and simply take what I like to put together in another mod.

Feel free to check it out.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Yeah, you´re right, and I should have worded that differently...

But as I explained via PM, the only files that I included directly are some old Ka-50 sounds that I still had on my hard drive from a previous install and which I couldn´t identify.

The overall goal of this mod is to create new effects.

Basically, during the creation of this mod a very small number of samples may have been mixed together with my own to create nuances or echos, but at a level where they are no longer individually distinguishable. Too many files and versions of each effect to know for sure. That´s why I added the statement (plus the Ka-50 thing).

The process was not to search other people´s existing work and simply take what I like to put together in another mod.

Feel free to check it out.

well u can always start from scratch and apply only your own work.

Edited by diveplane

Well, at this point I really don´t feel any urge to get back to editing new sound effects. :)

This was mostly a project that started and went on parallel to my masters exam, something I did in between work sessions. I´m just sharing here what I put together primarily to enhance my own experience of DCS.

Over the years I have seen many projects for DCS like this and usually you would very quickly notice which sounds had been taken over from other compilations etc., i. e. it´s common practice. This doesn´t really answer the point about permission, but I searched all mods I still have on my HD and the download section for this particular mod. When I couldn´t identify it, I assessed if I should include them or leave them out - I left them in for the sake of completeness, to mirror the way I run the game audio-wise.

After all we´re talking obscure mods for an even more obscure video game here...

You may judge this as the wrong way to go about things, and I admit that formally it is a little problematic, but until now you are really the only one who feels the need to bring this up.

Cheers.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

You may judge this as the wrong way to go about things, and I admit that formally it is a little problematic, but until now you are really the only one who feels the need to bring this up.

This, its not like people get money for the mods they throw out, you can't pull the piracy rethoric here. (YOU STOLE MAH PROPERTY I AM LOSING X SALES NAO!) I wish people would just say from the start "here is the code, there is my scource, feel free to add/edit/complete/worsen it as you like."

And as I understand upupandaway, he didn't just take the work of others 1:1 and put his own work in here. +1 from me, keep up! Haven't tested this yet, but looking forward to it. Is this compatible with other sound mods? Anyone tested in that direction?

• Like 1

This, its not like people get money for the mods they throw out, you can't pull the piracy rethoric here. (YOU STOLE MAH PROPERTY I AM LOSING X SALES NAO!) I wish people would just say from the start "here is the code, there is my scource, feel free to add/edit/complete/worsen it as you like."

And as I understand upupandaway, he didn't just take the work of others 1:1 and put his own work in here. +1 from me, keep up! Haven't tested this yet, but looking forward to it. Is this compatible with other sound mods? Anyone tested in that direction?

a) Technically you could pull that rethoric but I personally think it is a little unnecessary in this small corner of the world. I´m happy if somebody likes my work and also if they (partly) want to include it into their own mod to improve DCS even further.

b) You are right - out of the 150-200 effects or so which I included in my mod there are no more than a handful that I took directly, all the rest is made from scratch by myself.

c) It should be comaptible with other mods - you simply replace the old files by copy/paste and you are free to choose only a fraction or whatever you like.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!