Reviews Discussion

upupandaway

Misunderstanding:

GameStar.de didnґt say they donґt like it. Itґs a little more complicated. They said that since this second installment of the DCS-Series has become even more complex and accurate with respect to former sims (including F 4.0), they would no longer even classifiy it as a game. They state this to be an "astonishing piece of technology for hardcore fans" and also comment on various aspects of the game with a rather positive and respectful undertone. On the other hand they state that this is a product which, when evaluated under mainstrem criteria, would necessarily have to fail (I also commented on their article and I would have to agree with most of the points they made). Thatґs why they felt they wouldnґt do it any justice by simply putting up a score for meta-whatever and leave it to the readers to draw their own conclusions. The whole idea of reviewing the game in the first place was motivated by the small fraction of simmers who still read their magazine.

Who said they didnЯt like it? Babelfish? :smilewink:

The header of the review reads like this:

While DCS: A-10C Warthog works brilliantly as a simulation, it no longer resembles a video game. Itґs a feast for aircraft afficionados without any appeal (or access) for casual gamers.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Yes, I think Gamestar handled that very appropriately, they do have to consider their audience and in that context they gave it a fair and honest review. With DCS: A-10C ED has basically absorbed and reverse-engineered a significant fraction of the technology which makes up the real-life A-10C, and the Gamestar reviewer seemed to appreciate what a monumental feat this represents. He argues that the sim is pretty much outside the scope of his publication and therefore declines to rate it as that would not do it justice.

I agree with him in a way, DCS: A-10C and other hardcore simulations are really closer to being interactive reference books, i. e. infotainment rather than pure entertainment products. Think Fomin's Su-27 book, as opposed to Flight of the Intruder or even a Tom Clancy novel. Not everybody will appreciate the former as a fun read ;)

Edited by Trident

Does any review mention this awesome community, instant support and constant flow of patches?? Lots of games this year came out just for the money, buggy console ports. This aspect is important as the game itself, imo.

True that!

I could say a lot about that right now, but itґs all 100% OT, so Iґll just zip it. While DCS of course has its own necessary shortcomings you at least get a certain sense of transparency.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

While he acknowledges the fine work by ED, he spends most of his writeup complaining about the things which make this simulator precious to me.

I too remember my "playing" with FS, a long time ago, and just to show who's talking, I know how much i know nothing about planes when I remember what I had to go through in another demanding discipline involving taking a car engine appart, everything all around the bench, reparing some and put them back together and be prepared for the first vrooom :pilotfly:... or clang :joystick: !

If I've been pretty close of this kind of plane, I never touched any! So with all this stated, I manage to keep my mouth shut on subjects requiring a big part of a professional life before you can say anything good enough to be said.

This is typical of those who claim that the majority is always right... In this case, that will never be true... he just lost an occasion to shut up :doh: I'm quite new in sims... and I enjoy those months of hard work before me :harhar:

Edited by ivanwfr
typos

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

Computer Active review (UK) - Issue 344, which hits the shelves on 28 April.

Taster here - "Buy It" 5 stars

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/review/2041774/dcs-10c-warthog-flight-simulator

Hmm last paragraph...

If you enjoy military simulators and have a powerful computer, DCS A-10A is a must. Even if you don't enjoy combat there are rewards to be had in mastering the navigation system and tricky in-flight refuelling.

Nate

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't like the IGN review... but I never liked IGN reviews, because they are a little...over-critic...

What he criticises about the manual maybe partly true, but all of the abbreviations are explained and the manual has a list of all abbreviations in the supplements. He criticises that the manual doesn't tell him, where to adjust the graphic options, well, they are located in options -> video...like in every other game. Where can he find the tutorials, well maybe under "Flight School" and ingame via Training... He criticises that self eplained things like tat are not explained in the manual...

Then he criticises about Missile smoke trails, that disappear. Well, what does he think how a rocket motor works? Burning fuel all the time while in flight? Maybe the Sidewinder should get a space shuttle fuel tank attached then...

I think the author thought he will test H.A.W.X. 3 or something like that... and not a hardcore study sim with its balance laid on realism

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Then he criticises about Missile smoke trails, that disappear. Well, what does he think how a rocket motor works? Burning fuel all the time while in flight? Maybe the Sidewinder should get a space shuttle fuel tank attached then...

I thought that too, but you'd be astounded how little people know that most missiles travel the majority of flight just on inertia.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

You will experience cranial overload, and you will, unless you're a devout ED disciple, curse the developer for being so damned cryptic.

Yep, luckily real life A-10 pilots learn the plane in one day.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought that too, but you'd be astounded how little people know that most missiles travel the majority of flight just on inertia.

Many, thanks to HAWX and Hollywood ;)

But it's not quite fair to criticise that in a sim...he should have wondered why the trails disappear so fast, and maybe inform about how the things really work..

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Metacritic is biased! DCS: WH now has a score of 87, but doesn't show up under the "current PC games" down in the bottom right.

SPECS: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.2 Ghz +turboboost enabled, 12 GB DDR3 1600 @ 1500 Mhz, ATI Radeon 5850, TrackIR 5, X52 Pro and Saitek pedals