Mystery Switch

Vino

I believe it its something like "Missile mode".

It allows to switch between "normal" and "boresight" modes (with the respective effects / functions) to each type of missile the Tomcat carries; AIM-9, AIM-7 and AIM-54.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I believe it its something like "Missile mode".

It allows to switch between "normal" and "boresight" modes (with the respective effects / functions) to each type of missile the Tomcat carries; AIM-9, AIM-7 and AIM-54.

Correct.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

@IronMike/HB

This switch is indeed not very well described in the manual. As far as I can see it is just mentioned once in the AIM-7 chapter, but nowhere the manual says anything about the effects of this switch for other missile types :dunno:

It would be great if you guys could add a description of the switch and its various effects to the manual :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

@IronMike/HB

This switch is indeed not very well described in the manual. As far as I can see it is just mentioned once in the AIM-7 chapter, but nowhere the manual says anything about the effects of this switch for other missile types :dunno:

It is in the Sidewinder and Smokewinder sections too.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

It is in the Sidewinder and Smokewinder sections too.

You're right, it's called "Boresight Switch" there, while it is called "MSL Switch" in the Sparrow section, hence I overlooked it. But that just reinforces that it would be good to have a place in this manual where the switch itself is being described with all its functions, instead of just being mentioned on the sideline.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You're right, it's called "Boresight Switch" there, while it is called "MSL Switch" in the Sparrow section, hence I overlooked it. But that just reinforces that it would be good to have a place in this manual where the switch itself is being described with all its functions, instead of just being mentioned on the sideline.

Yep, it's quite important to add the info for 54.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I LOVE that switch.

It's like giving me 4 1000 lb AMRAAM's for the 'close in' fight, and the Pk at those knife fighting ranges goes WAY up. Particularly useful in a 'vs many' scrum so you can fire and maneuver defensively against the stuff being shot back at you, instead of having to hold the nose on a single bogey so a Sparrow can track in STT.

If I'm carrying a load of 4 Phoenix 'in the tunnel' into a fighter sweep kind of fight, one of my currently favorite tactics is to order my wingman (or my second section) to engage from long range, to get the enemy scrambling. I then usually pincer low myself, supersonic sprint on the deck to get into the phone booth, and start slinging 54's at close range in boresight mode. I've killed up to six planes in a single engagement starting a fight that way, before all was said and done.

LOVE that switch!

I LOVE that switch.

It's like giving me 4 1000 lb AMRAAM's for the 'close in' fight, and the Pk at those knife fighting ranges goes WAY up. Particularly useful in a 'vs many' scrum so you can fire and maneuver defensively against the stuff being shot back at you, instead of having to hold the nose on a single bogey so a Sparrow can track in STT.

If I'm carrying a load of 4 Phoenix 'in the tunnel' into a fighter sweep kind of fight, one of my currently favorite tactics is to order my wingman (or my second section) to engage from long range, to get the enemy scrambling. I then usually pincer low myself, supersonic sprint on the deck to get into the phone booth, and start slinging 54's at close range in boresight mode. I've killed up to six planes in a single engagement starting a fight that way, before all was said and done.

LOVE that switch!

I think you are talking about the ACM switch (red cover)

The OP is talking about the msl mode button which does only two things.

1) put sidewinders into BORESIGHT 2.5* circle rather than 40* for shooting in tight engagements with friendlies or against the sun

2) put sparrows and Phoenixes into FLOOD mode

I think you are talking about the ACM switch (red cover)

The OP is talking about the msl mode button which does only two things.

1) put sidewinders into BORESIGHT 2.5* circle rather than 40* for shooting in tight engagements with friendlies or against the sun

2) put sparrows and Phoenixes into FLOOD mode

I think he meant the button.

Phoenix in FLOOD mode? Seriously?

To my knowledge that switch is also semi redundant considering you can just flip the ACM cover up and accomplish the same task as going to Bore sight

That's not correct.

The ACM switch makes the sparrow and phoenixes drop off the rail faster, and it commands the Phoenix active off the rail. It also overrides the various modes of the aircraft and let's you select air to air weapons, and finally it turns msl prep on and guns rate to high

In no condition does it BORESIGHT any missiles. It does however only allow Phoenix 1second launch cycles if the target is less than 10* ADL. But the seeker head is not boresighted in any way

Edited by DoorMouse

if you use that button, get a sidewinder lock using seam and then move the nose away from the bandit will teh sidewinder seeker track or remain boresighted and lose the lock?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr