[VIDEO] AGM-65F shot

Schmidtfire

Nice find!

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Couldnt quite make out the target impact time, was looking for the time of flight for the given range at 5000ft.

Nice clear lock for 7nm though and the rest of the numbers gave good supporting information.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

That's got to be just off the coast of NAS Jax in the Jacksonville Fleet Concentration Area. I did a couple of months carrier quals on the Forrestal many years ago. That was back when the VP squadrons were all trying to go to the new (at the time) Charlies (P-3C). I never knew they could carry Mav's. Harpoons, yes.

Nice video. Opposed to DCS, the Mav in the video was not locked with a flashing cursor but WAS locked with a solid cursor. (Not that it matters. Just a bit odd to see it.) It seems to me that the Mav's trajectory looks like it was curving left. I believe this is because the chase plane was bracketing left for tracking angle. What was all that yellow? Marker powder?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

That inspired me to make this little video this morning before work... Thanks!

https://youtu.be/w5kD4_W-b4w

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

That's got to be just off the coast of NAS Jax in the Jacksonville Fleet Concentration Area. I did a couple of months carrier quals on the Forrestal many years ago. That was back when the VP squadrons were all trying to go to the new (at the time) Charlies (P-3C). I never knew they could carry Mav's. Harpoons, yes.

Torpedos, Harpoons, Mavericks, Sidewinders ... the Orion does it all :D

D4lXy6f.jpg

tijOq3saKG1eTZ2vnQqh-tl9oWA_k-J1XkgqfwJpxZQ.jpg?auto=webp&3c780984 tijOq3saKG1eTZ2vnQqh-tl9oWA_k-J1XkgqfwJpxZQ.jpg?auto=webp&3c780984

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Side by side comparison versus DCS AGM 65D @250kts and 5000ft (same as video)

AI firing 2 shots at 4.55nm, the DCS missile took:

32 seconds. Peaked at 800kts at end of burn phase (1481.6kmh) which is an average speed of:

511.9kts

In the video with an AGM-65F in 2018 with whatever differences this might have, including possible air density:

20-21 seconds over 4.5 - 5.0nm gives an average speed of between:

771.5kts - 900 kts

Burn times looked similar, difficult to tell, but I'd say our DCS Maverick was considerably slower than that real life video, in the acceleration phase at least, given that the DCS maverick at it's fastest point, was plum in the middle of the possible average speeds of it's real life counterpart.

Lots of variables there not considered, but quite a difference.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The weight difference is almost 200 lb between D and F model.

AGM-65E would be a better comparison. AGM-65F is a D seeker combined with the E body and warhead. The AGM-65E version is around 30 lb lighter than the AGM-65F. Otherwise same body, warhead and propulsion.

Edited by Schmidtfire

I’m on mobile so it’s difficult to replicate your calculation, interesting though. 900kts seems high launched from a p-3 cruising at 300 kts. Are you going by a time stamp or video length/assuming no editing? Makes me wonder about trajectory

Also, someone above said the F has twice the explosive of a mk-82- you’re mixing up payload and warhead, the terminology in bombs vs middles are different. There’s a lot of variants now but standard mk-82 has a payload of 200lb, the remainder fragmenting iron casing. The F has a 300lb warhead (which isn’t 2x), but more importantly that’s the total warhead weight, not payload. I don’t remember the Explosive weight but it’s like 80lbs or something, less than half. Misses reference warhead weight bc of propulsion and guidance systems, in that sense unguided bomb weight is all warhead

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Per Harrier TACMANs, a ~20-21s TOF fired from 5,000' HAT at Mach 0.5 (~325 knots) equates to a horizontal launch distance of ~3.3 NM and an impact velocity of roughly 975 fps (577 knots).

EDIT: He actually fired at 205 KTAS, closer to M0.3.

Harrier charts compute a ~20-21s TOF from 5,000' HAT at M 0.3 (195 knots) equates to a horizontal launch distance of 2.6 NM and impact velocity of 900 fps (533 knots).

Edited by ChickenSim

Here is a video of a P-3C Orion launching the AGM-65F. At around 2:15 into the video we can see what happens to the seeker symbology as the missile uncages. Very cool :)

]

Wow! Nice video! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb