New GME software

sedenion

Sedenion;

Great mod, thanks for your effort.

Your mod has some improved features over JSGME.

Pros and Cons of OvGME vs JSGEM (I understand this is a WIP, so its not a criticism of either one, just an observation)

Pro-

1] Able to run the program from anywhere on your computer.

(This is a great plus as I try to keep original games and files on an SSD, and ancillary ones on HDD. Example of my computer... SSD-1 System Operating files, SSD-2 Games, HDD- OS programs folder, OS User folder, and other storage of files that are not needed to be in OS or Game folders)

2] Able to be used for multiple games from one GUI

(Another great plus, as there is no need of duplicating installs to each game)

3] Addition of description of Mod.

(This comes in handy if you have mods that are similar in nature.)

Con-

1] No ability to take snapshot of game files.

(This is necessary to compare files before and after updates, to know what changes have been made to game files or structure, which may impact on any mods you use.)

2] No report of one mod acting on another.

(It is important to know if a mod you are activating is impacting on or changing mods already activated, thus the possibility of braking one or more of the previous mods.)

3] Ease of use.

(Having to go to the menu bar and then choose an option from a list can get tedious if you have many mods to activate/deactivate after an update.)

Wish List- (don't know if its possible to do or not, but would be nice to have)

- Add buttons for activation/deactivation

- Add ability for Snapshot and compare of game files and structures

- (this one is a BIG hope of mine) The ability to use '_OvGME' mod folder from anywhere on computer. Reason for this is some mods can take up a lot of drive space (such as object or texture files. Space that could be used to install more games on your SSD)

Again, thanks for your time and effort. Being a programmer of an earlier era (Fortran and Cobol for those who are to young to know or remember them) I know how daunting it can be sometimes trying to get something to work how you would like.

Edited by DeJohn

I thought that one can use some relative layout and anchor elements to the border.

And... no, this is not css/html... i searched for that, and the answer seem to be: with C/C++ standard WinAPI, we must code all algorithms with algebra to calculate ratios and positions each time window is resized, like a warior (which does not surprise me at all) ... not conceptually hard, but painful and boring. I heard somewhere that with MCF lib it's more easy, but MFC is another kind of labyrinthine system...

In ancient days, one could derive from the tableview and implement this behavior. But this knowledge is pre .Net :-)

I think .NET implements this kind of automatism, and i even guess that Microsoft sell a very expensive WYSIWYG software with their "Visual Studio pouet pouet" to makes this kind of super cool (and utra-heavy ) GUI, but here i use the good old legacy WinAPI with ResEdit...

(This is necessary to compare files before and after updates, to know what changes have been made to game files or structure, which may impact on any mods you use.)

Ok, here you have to explain me how this kind of feature must act, because i never used this feature... what is needed to know, how should it be presented, etc..

(It is important to know if a mod you are activating is impacting on or changing mods already activated, thus the possibility of braking one or more of the previous mods.)

This is implemented... and it works, as far as i tested... When you enable a mod, it check with all already installed mod to verify if files overlap those of already installed mods, if yes, it prompt you a warning window.. it even give you the list of overlaped files for each mod.

3] Ease of use.

(Having to go to the menu bar and then choose an option from a list can get tedious if you have many mods to activate/deactivate after an update.)

You can double-click on mods to toggle enable/disable... but i can add buttons bellow the list (Toggle selected, Enable Selected, disable selected, disable all, enable all)... i even can add some right-click command.

- Add buttons for activation/deactivation

Ok

Here i need explanation

- (this one is a BIG hope of mine) The ability to use '_OvGME' mod folder from anywhere on computer. Reason for this is some mods can take up a lot of drive space (such as object or texture files. Space that could be used to install more games on your SSD)

Ok, you mean, the ability to have the mods stock folder in other place than in the game root folder ?

Again, thanks for your time and effort. Being a programmer of an earlier era (Fortran and Cobol for those who are to young to know or remember them) I know how daunting it can be sometimes trying to get something to work how you would like.

The most painful is the GUI, i hate GUI :D

Ok, here you have to explain me how this kind of feature must act, because i never used this feature... what is needed to know, how should it be presented, etc..

The first time you run jsgme for a game (say DCS) before activating any mods, you click on "Generate snapshot", the app creates and saves text file list of all files and their structure contained in the game folder. The next time DCS is updated, you'd click on "Compare Game Files with Snapshot". Then it reports to you what files remained the 'SAME', which have the same file name but have changed 'DIFFERENT', which have been 'REMOVED' and which are 'NEW' to the game. Once you've made the comparison and save it if you wish too, you would once again click generate snapshot and replace the old one with the new list of files.

Example of Snapshot, and Comparison..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt of Snapshot

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\ADEN_GUNPOD.edm 7ed2a214edb963f6abcf517053e1f407

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\Hawk.EDM a87104461c8a9f401d71463b075cbc14

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\Hawk.lods 6b5d23ee7d1f11ae8d707bfb3f7d24f3

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\hawk_canopy.EDM 6844bbf1f5c84357d71236c55a2b5a96

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\hawk_destr.EDM bb3fbae1085f96bf20d021863ff7eda9

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\Hawk_LOD1.EDM 901393c032264a2a2910f791023255f3

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\Hawk_LOD2.EDM ce988c59f95fe86eca5cf324219373a6

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\hawk-collision.EDM 357c0ae695179b8842a273c08bf05b00

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Textures\

D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Textures\Hawk.zip

Excerpt of comparison (preivouse snapshot to updated game)

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\ SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\ADEN_GUNPOD.edm NEW

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\hawk-collision.EDM DIFFERENT

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\Hawk.EDM SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\Hawk.lods SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\hawk_canopy.EDM SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\hawk_destr.EDM SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\Hawk_LOD1.EDM SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Shapes\Hawk_LOD2.EDM SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Textures\ SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Textures\Hawk.zip DIFFERENT

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Textures\XX100_TFC.zip SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk\Views.lua SAME

CoreMods\aircraft\L-39\ SAME

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is implemented... and it works, as far as i tested... When you enable a mod, it check with all already installed mod to verify if files overlap those of already installed mods, if yes, it prompt you a warning window.. it even give you the list of overlaped files for each mod.

Sorry, you are correct, you've one better than jsgme, in that yours checks the files, not just the folder name

3] Ease of use.

You can double-click on mods to toggle enable/disable... but i can add buttons bellow the list (Toggle selected, Enable Selected, disable selected, disable all, enable all)... i even can add some right-click command.

I'm sorry, I missed the double-click ability

Here i need explanation

With the info attained from the comparison, you are able to tell if there are any mods that need re-structuring, or edit any lua files you may have edited. As an example of this... I have a physical simpit with real switches, knobs and lights. Since most commands are programmed by default for use with a keyboard (aka momentary push button). I have edited some of the lua files so that they reflect the switches I have, ie.. toggle, rotary etc. And use this information to know when the DEVs make changes to anything I have edited, so I don't have to do it from scratch.

-(this one is a BIG hope of mine) The ability to use '_OvGME' mod folder from anywhere on computer. Reason for this is some mods can take up a lot of drive space (such as object or texture files. Space that could be used to install more games on your SSD)

Ok, you mean, the ability to have the mods stock folder in other place than in the game root folder ?

Yes, exactly. As I mentioned, some mods are very large in size and depending on how many games you use mods with, the spaced used could become quite alot of your SSD. It would be better to have the mod storage folder(stock mod folder) on a regular HDD, leaving room on your SSD for games. This should work since only the mods you activate at the time will be loaded to the game, and mods you have but not going to use this time will not take up premium space of the SSD.

Edited by DeJohn

for me, the 1.0 it's perfect!

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

The first time you run jsgme for a game (say DCS) before activating any mods, you click on "Generate snapshot", the app creates and saves text file list of all files and their structure contained in the game folder. The next time DCS is updated, you'd click on "Compare Game Files with Snapshot". Then it reports to you what files remained the 'SAME', which have the same file name but have changed 'DIFFERENT', which have been 'REMOVED' and which are 'NEW' to the game. Once you've made the comparison and save it if you wish too, you would once again click generate snapshot and replace the old one with the new list of files.

Ok, i see what you want... a kind of simplified git/svn for game files.

I'm sorry, I missed the double-click ability

As one say... RTFM :D Anyway i added two buttons + commands on right-click pop-up menu...

Yes, exactly. As I mentioned, some mods are very large in size and depending on how many games you use mods with, the spaced used could become quite alot of your SSD. It would be better to have the mod storage folder(stock mod folder) on a regular HDD, leaving room on your SSD for games. This should work since only the mods you activate at the time will be loaded to the game, and mods you have but not going to use this time will not take up premium space of the SSD.

This is done for the next version... mod stock folder was already an absolute path in game config logic, i just added ability to choose the full path in the GUI, so one can set the mod stock folder anywhere.

Version 1.1 released... Please uninstall the previous version before installing the new one.

See first page for download...

Version 1.1 changelog:

- Adding support for generic 'description.txt' or 'readme.txt' as

description text file for mod archives.

- Adding right-click pop-up menu for mod list with "open folder

or archive" option for quick access to mod content.

- Adding ability to choose a custom backup directory for a game.

- Adding ability to choose absolute path for mods stock directory for a game.

- Adding buttons to enable and disable mods in main dialog frame.

- New mod list view with visible enable/disable icon.

- Larger dialog window

I will see for a game snapshort feature later in the week i think.

I found an issue on my end enabling Starways mod in 1.5.4 stable latest patch and 1.5.4 openbeta latest patch. The textures are missing everywhere but the buildings.

The same mod-folder works flawlessly with JSGME, so there is no zip error or other data corruption.

Any idea ??

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I found an issue on my end enabling Starways mod in 1.5.4 stable latest patch and 1.5.4 openbeta latest patch. The textures are missing everywhere but the buildings.

The same mod-folder works flawlessly with JSGME, so there is no zip error or other data corruption.

Any idea ??

Can you provide some details AND the mod you found a problem please ?

- You enabled the mod using OvGME (yes?)

- Is it a zipped or directory mod ?

- What problem appear exactly ? (missing texture ?)

just saw 1.1....will try with 1.1 and see if that works...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Same error with 1.1

Mod: Starways Caucasus map-mod ver 2.4(latest via torrent)((the file says 2.5 but he renamed it to 2.4 as to not collide with DCS naming convention of 2.5 as a new era )

format: unzipped FOLDER

error see pic attached, think that is textures missing, not being copied correctly.

We can do a TS and/or Teamviewer....sitting here anyway waiting for a call......

yes...I use the same, unpacked folder in EITHER OvGME ...or...JSGME...not both.

I tried it again in JSGME as I saw the glitch in yours, all JSGME was deleted actually.

Ho my god... Starway Black Sea Map 2.4.rar, is that this 2GB file ?...

2GB (compressed)... i think i know why you have some issue...

not compressed !

I unpacked it TWICE with RAR and 7zip before putting it in the game-mod folders. Both folders work in JSGME but fail in OvGME.

Just a measure to exclude crc errors and verify that the folders are integer. They are !

BTW, the mod is FREE for all to dl.

Use torrent, dont even try the other one :)

A true must have mod !

Ok, bug reason found...

Before applying a mod, i create a miror image of all data in memory (yes, this is audacious, but based on what is needed for zip archives to avoid extracting all the archive on the disk), and here, with 2GB of data, the program reach up the maximum available memory address for 32 bits architecture... so, kaboom...

I hesitate between two ways to solve the problem...

The easy way :

Compiling in 64 bits.

The boring way :

Creating a new algorithm to prevent this memory usage while the mod is already on the disk (not a zip archive). However, in this case, this limitation will exists for zipped archives...

For now, i provide an optionnal 64 bits version (see first page for download), which solves this problem.

Please uninstall previous version before installing the new version.

Thank you! I also observed the bug (I entered Blue flag yesterday and all was... green :D ). I wanted first to be sure is not something bad from my part or at least to catch a bit more specific when it appears (I thought that maybe the fact that I use Starway's mod that also has modded files in folders beside the archives might be at fault) but work got its toll for today time and I couldn't post.

Good if 64bit solves it! Why not making only 64bit as it is now the norm?

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Good if 64bit solves it! Why not making only 64bit as it is now the norm?

The 64 bits is a norm for DCS users... but a lot of people still in 32 bits, and since Microsoft does not promote for 64 bits... brief, it's Microsoft...

Yes 64 bits version solve it... but i don't like much use this amount of memory... i also noticed JSGME is faster, and, i think i know why. The copy function provided by Windows seem faster than the legacy C "fwrite" function, at least, in the MinGW implementation...

I can confirm it works now!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least