CBU-99/Mk.20 Height of Burst option

arkasha_s_mishkoi

WIP. Even though Wags in a not too recent video showcased that HT function has been developed, that code never made it into any update so far.

The HOF function is indeed in the sim and working, i haven't tested the dispersal height yet so cannot comment but its certainly there in the Weapons DDI, its under MFUZ and then select YT and once the screen goes back to the main view HT appears at the bottom.

Capture.jpg

Cheers Specter

Edited by Raz_Specter
  • Like 1

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I noticed that cbu and rockeye will always burst at 1500ft, and HT option makes no sense. Is it still WIP or i'm doing something wrong?

It is WIP, what make no since of the HT option

HOF is set on the ground, so you cannot change this in cockpit.

This is true for all CBU AFAIK IRL, since we can't go to the ground, normally we set this in the pit in DCS.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

WIP. Even though Wags in a not too recent video showcased that HT function has been developed, that code never made it into any update so far.

I might just quote him. "Let's set it to 1500 for now." That's exactly the Height of Burst these bombs have dropped from the Hornet, regardless of the setting on the DDI. Most probably WIP.

The same bomb (Mk. 20) though dropped from a Harrier has either a 4s burst delay (PR) or 1.2s burst delay (OP), totally independent of altitude.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

What's the difference between CBU-99 and Rockeye? They are both retarded and seem to work the same...

The Mk20 Rockeye is designed as an anti-tank cluster bomb, whereas the CBU-99 is meant to be used against light vehicles and infantry.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Hey guys just so you know, there are many options for HOF and they are set on the ground, dictated by the days load plan, these functions are on CBU's with a(n) FMU-140/B Fuze on it. HOF can be set to 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 22, 26, and 30 [x100ft]. This was always a huge problem with A/C such as the S-3 as the pilots never really understood HOF and would often release them well above their intended altitudes or to low usually resulting in a big water splash. These shortcomings have kind of fazed their use in the Navy out although Marines will still usually load them. With the use of the JSOW now, HOF really isn't important as its all a 1760 program

Now I haven't played with CBU's in this game yet for some reason. Maybe i'll put that old Ordie expertise in the pit for a few.

You guys can search for the NWP 3-22.5FA28A/B/C/D (A1-F18AC-TAC-300) if you want more of a pilots TAC guide.

Edited by CHSStarKiller
Additions

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR

Rockeye I Mark 12

significantly different than

Rockeye II Mark 20 Mod 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

CBU-99 and CBU-99A

CBU-100 and CBU-100A

which are all very very similar. The differences are the dispenser improvements, thermal protection coating, bomblet fuze model, and even just reclassifying from the older naming scheme to the new one.

The biggest operational variable of the Rockeye II-type weapons is the fuzing of the dispenser which can be the Mark 339 mechanical time fuze or the FMU-140 radio proximity device. The most likely model to be used with F/A-18 is CBU-99A because it is thermally protected and has the FMU-140 fuze.

Both are wire-armed devices with a primary and secondary wire arming function. The primary wire alone initiates the primary time function while pulling of both primary and secondary wire initiates the option time function. While the times for each mode are preset by the factory at 1.2 and 4.0 seconds, each can be set within the range 1.2 to 100 seconds by armament crew.

FMU-140 is likewise controlled by primary and secondary wires. The primary wire initiates normal operation while the secondary additional wire causes the dispenser to override normal operation and dispense at 1.2 seconds. In primary operation the dispenser needs to meet the following criteria to function:

1. Decreasing altitude

2. Arming time elapsed (1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10)

3. Proximity distance reached (300-3000')

Arming times and proximity distances are set from a handful of options on the face plate by armament crew.

F/A-18 may only be told which model of fuze is used by WIP but not the particular settings for time and distance. This must be faithfully entered by the pilot to the weapon settings of the cockpit display to match the characteristics of the loaded weapon for correct aiming. SMP code only differs between non-thermally protected "03" for Mk 20 Mod 12, CBU-100 displaying on DDI as "RE" for RockEye and code "02" for Mk 20 Mod 9 or 11, CBU-99 displaying "RET" for RockEye Thermally protected. The thermal protection adds a small amount of weight ~15 lbs and may have slightly more drag.

Edited by Frederf
  • Thanks 1

The Mk20 Rockeye is designed as an anti-tank cluster bomb, whereas the CBU-99 is meant to be used against light vehicles and infantry.

But is it already correctly implemented? They both burst into the same Mk-118 bomblets...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2800 MHz overclocked @ 3400 MHz

A-DATA Extreme DDR2 800 MHz 6 GB

GIGABYTE nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB, overclocked 650/1600/950 MHz

Windows 7 x64

They seem to be relatively ineffective on T72 etc

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

it's a HEAT warhead, not frag.

the reason they aren't effective is just because explosives in DCS are anemic. they should probably massacre at least light armor, and put more than scratches on heavier armor.

why even have this class of weapon if it doesn't do anything (IRL)? looking at DCS you'd think anything that isn't a maverick is 100% worthless against anything with armor <20mm thick.

it's a HEAT warhead, not frag.

the reason they aren't effective is just because explosives in DCS are anemic. they should probably massacre at least light armor, and put more than scratches on heavier armor.

why even have this class of weapon if it doesn't do anything (IRL)? looking at DCS you'd think anything that isn't a maverick is 100% worthless against anything with armor <20mm thick.

That is no lie. Since the A-10, anything other than a maverick is pointless, well many a LGB. With the bug, I have killed a Tugunska with a MK83, but definitely wasn’t a “tank”. I’ve found the cluster bombs pretty much useless, usually using a mix of rockets and iron bombs right now.

Just a quick Q since you guys seem to have dropped a lot of CBUs/Rockeyes recently: Has anyone here had the casing burst immediately after drop?

A few weeks ago I was filming a quick video scene and needed empty racks, so I dropped 4 Rockeyes straight and level at a couple thousand feet just to dispose of them. Looked out the canopy and saw them burst immediately after leaving the rail, with the bomblets raining down a few thousand feet. I unfortunately deleted the track during post-update folder cleaning.

You might have pulled option wire which dispenses 1.2 seconds after release. Only pull the primary if you want the FMU-140 to do radio function based on height.

Also be aware that F-5E CBU which looks to have FMU-140 fuze by visual inspection does not and instead is timed by Mk 339.

Rockeye I Mark 12

[...]

Great information there. This is something I expected to get told when asking what the difference between the Mk. 20 and the CBU-99 is where ED likes to leave us completely in the dark. But even the lot of information doesn't quite much answer that question completely. I get this right the CBU-99 basically is the thermal protected one which is a tad heavier and slightly draggier than the Mk. 20? What is the thermal protection for actually?

Also, do I get this right that the HoB function on the stores page is not able to select the actual HoB since it has to be set on the fuze itself? That would mean the setting most probably just has an effect on the CCIP/AUTO calculation to take into account the different drag characteristics of the bomblets compared to the canister, because there basically must be a reason for the setting's option being there.

Setting the HoB would be something for the kneeboard then, as well as setting up the R/S mode of the rocket pods...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Thermal protection is to prevent/delay weapons for detonating in a ship or land-based fire either on an airplane or more likely in the stowage area. Aircraft carriers are deadly serious about weapon fire protection. You won't find a Mk 83 type bomb without the coating on a CVN, ever (nowadays).

Height of function for FMU-140 is set on the unit by hand. Yes, DDI value is for airplane knowledge only.

Yes of course the CCIP or CCRP math breaks the trajectory into two parts pre and post dispense and patches them together. If you tell it the HOF is 2000' and it's really 500' then it's going to assume weapon spends more time in the slippery flatter trajectory and will travel beyond the predicted aim point. You should see the CCIP pipper jump around as you cycle through program modes which are set at different assumed HOF.

• 5 months later...

Ok, guys n gals, I can't get my rockeyes to burst, I've set everything like in the DCS tutorial, the bomb releases but doesn't open. I've tried every height but the pod just hits the deck. This happens in both CCIP and Auto modes. Any ideas? Cheers

Radar alt switch set

1. Mfuze

2. VT

3. Set height

4. Pickle when CCIP cross is over target

Cluster..trk

AG practice.miz

Edited by mr_mojo97

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Rockeyes work great....

I tried Rockeyes in a home-made test mission - I carried two HARMS and 4 Rockeyes to attack a SAM 6 site set up near Batumi. I took out the radar with a HARM when it locked me, and then dropped 2 rocks on the circle of armoured missile carriers from ~5000ft. I had set the burst height (VT) to 900 feet. I was then staggered when not only the two vehicles I targeted in the CCIP drops were destroyed, but nearly all of the vehicles in the area. The rockeyes were VERY effective against lightly armoured vehicles, and covered a much wider area of dispersement than I had anticipated.

I added the mission and a track to my first message if anyone could a check please.

Sabaton, I've tried all heights

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |