What is SSLR?

skouras

Yes, if the function was supported by graphic card as to the Ray Tracing.

A colleague has a 2080 Ti and has a similar drop frames when you activate the SSLR as my 1080 Ti.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

OK, here are 2 comparisons. I can't tell any difference. I'm really not trying to be pedantic here, I just don't see what I should be looking for.

I really can't tell you if there is a difference between the two in this case. Maybe with sslr on, the wings are a little more illuminated.

Edited by The Falcon

In the cockpit is not applied, only noticeable in certain angles of the external view.

Let me add. Note that all the underside of the plane is more illuminated, not only, the reflected colors are the blue of the sea and also the blue of the sky(not just white) around the engine's air intake.

TuUnZ84.jpg

Difficult to tell as you’re not comparing it with anything.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, it may be that it’s not properly implemented yet, but if not, it seems like a big resource overhead for very little gain. Especially as we don’t see anything change in-cockpit!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

These comparisons don't necessarily have anything to do with SSLR. There is no doubt that the overall new lighting system in 2.5.6 is a big step forward from 2.5.5, but it's SSLR that we are debating here.

all the screenshot are sslr on :)

Again, that is not relevant. 99% of those effects are because of the new lighting engine which we see with or without SSLR. A relevant comparison would be 2.5.6 with and without SSLR.

Again, that is not relevant. 99% of those effects are because of the new lighting engine which we see with or without SSLR. A relevant comparison would be 2.5.6 with and without SSLR.

As i said i can't use the pc and test myself since in the changelog these things are not specified...

So are you saying that even with sslr off you have the cockpit illuminated at night with the lights and colors that reflect in the materials?

As i said i can't use the pc and test myself since in the changelog these things are not specified...

So are you saying that even with sslr off you have the cockpit illuminated at night with the lights and colors that reflect in the materials?

I find it a bit strange that you are going on about this without even having tried it out yourself!

Anyway, on my attachments, which has SSLR on?

If there is a better scenario to try, please let me know. I want to be convinced, but I'm just not seeing it.

BTW, ignore the HUD brightness, I think I turned it down manually in one of them.

Yeah, SSLR is mostly unnoticeable and it actually works weird for now, inside the cockpit, although I'm sure it'll be tuned in the future. Depending on your viewing angle, reflective surfaces in the cockpit look vastly different. For example, in a mission at dawn, if I turn my head a certain way, the switches in my F-18 look orange, I assume because of the sun's angle etc. But really orange, it's not normal. You could argue that the sunlight is diffusing through the canopy, but the color is too orange to make sense.

Other than that, you can notice it on the fuselage, drop a 2000lbs bomb for example and if your camera is at the correct angle, you'll actually notice that the bomb's reflection on the underside of the wing and the subsequent change in the reflection as the bomb is dropped. SSLR looks amazing at times, but only in some rare cases and weird viewing angles. I love its potential though and I'm looking forward to it being implemented and optimized properly.

As for the new lighting effects in the cockpits etc, they're all there with or without SSLR.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Most notable change for me is the lost of clarity in the mid-range view, lots of hazy conditions appearing now. Work in progress :music_whistling::thumbup:

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I agree with poster who wrote "Much adoo about nothing."

Don't use it. IMHO, it does not add to experience.

That said, with RTX board, its a small hit. But I suppose in a mission with lots of other units, it may impact more. I am just glad that 2.5.6 works great with RTX that is not $1500 water cooled OC 2080Ti. I have actual Nvidia (not licencee) RTX 2060 Super. It has performance of RTX 2070. I get triple digit FPS. My panel is 2560X1440 @144Mhz. So any FPS above 120 is very smooth. At 90 smooth and playable. At 60 I start to notice FPS drop, but that is because I am now spoiled by RTX triple digit FPS performance.

However, new night lighting needs to be tuned by ED. A-10C nightime pit is difficult to see. Even with green flood. External it looks fantastic. But internal to pit in A-10C and Mirage, it hides too much. What used to be a glance to check, or click, now requires active hunting and clicking. For example , taxi/land light in A-10C. Yes I could bind it, but I'd rather save a bind for something more important on my X56.

TPOD nighttime non-IR display is too weird. It looks like a variation of IR mode. It should just be grayscale version of world. IR is still kind of wacky. Roads and buildings are not as hot as vehicles and personnel. Black-hot display washes out cooler white, I cant use this TPOD mode . So I only use normal TV and IR in white-hot.

Reflection (or illumination) of A-10C landing light on right side of canopy glass washes out everything making impossible to see. 2.5.5 handled landing and taxi lights better. ED should make available some kind of brightness control. Same for UH-1H lights. Way too bright. Mig-21BIS landing lights! ForgetAbout! Those are laser torches. But thats on Mig-21 developer.

That said, with RTX board, its a small hit.

I don't know, I have an OC'd 2080Ti and I certainly notice the performance hit. Not in simple "fly around the map" missions, true, but in proper missions etc, it's there, especially if you use targeting pod, missile video and mirrors at the same time. A lot of situations that comfortably stay at 60FPS without SSLR, drop below that with the option enabled. Maybe because I'm running 4K and RT effects scale badly with resolution, I don't know.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

In the future will be SSLR work in the cockpit, I'm sure.
One can only dream of realistic reflections on glass surfaces.

-

Without the dynamic reflections on the glass it's just not immersion. Just inside the cockpit is a new feature of SSLR needed the most.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

One can only dream of realistic reflections on glass surfaces.

If FS2020 can, DCS should follow suit down the line as well imho.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com