INS Alignment crash

BigMac

Did you watch the track at all? Did you do anything different to what I did?

Just watched your track and the EHSD INS alignment timer crashed/reset to zero at 1:10 during ground alignment i.e. the time at which the map should appear.

I'll see if I can reproduce your bug in my own mission (I don't usually have the EHSD on the RH MPCD).

Edit: The INS 'crash' Didn't reproduce in my regular 'sandbox' mission, so I'll need to look at your mission more closely.

What setting do use in DCS>Options>Special>AV-8B NA>Default INS default alignment=UNALIGNED?

Edited by Ramsay
Try to reproduce alignment timer crash on RH MPCD in a sandbox mission

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Was your parking break switched off at that time?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Was your parking break switched off at that time?

No, he keeps the brake on but there is a 3 m/s ground wind.

However if I take control of the track @ INS alignment 1:10 it correctly switches to the map @1:16.

After the alignment bugs out, the timer flashes 00:00 about once per second with what looks like one bad MPCD frame that looks like a timer overflow.

I used Shadow Play to capture the bad MPCD frame from the OP's track.

attachment.php?attachmentid=201838&stc=1&d=1547170338

I tried turning off the INS, re-entering new data, etc. but it looks like once the INS bugs out, it needs a respawn ?

1357931201_AV-8BINSAlignmentTimerbugafter1min16secofalignment(mostMPCDframesgoododdflashof.thumb.JPG.12d3acfed4827a62280ad8b79751df01.JPG

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Oh this is a legit bug. Never seen that before. Messing with weapons or another system at the time of the bug out.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Oh this is a legit bug. Never seen that before. Messing with weapons or another system at the time of the bug out.

I reproduced the bugged alignment (that can't be reset) in my sandbox mission by taking the parking brake OFF during alignment, so you had the right idea, perhaps the ground wind in the OP's mission caused his aircraft to move ?

Tested in DCS Open Beta 2.5.4.25729

That's the only way I've ever gotten the alignment to stop. And it overflows the 0s ever time?

And it overflows the 0s ever time?

Yes but it's approx one video frame in 30 ? (res of cockpit displays 512, not every frame) and in step with the flashing 00:00 timer.

Releasing the parking brake - stops the GND alignment and the timer flashes 00:00 once a second with one video frame momentarily flashing a INS timer overflow ("00:0000:00..." etc) across both MPCD's

If the alignment was stopped BEFORE the map appears - putting the parking brake back on won't restart the alignment timer - to do that:

• I switched Alignment Mode to NAV or IFA

• entered aircraft Lat/Long again using the ODU (EHSD>Data>A/C)

• returning Alignment Mode to GND Align

would then restart the alignment timer.

AFTER the map appears on the EHSD, releasing the parking brake stopped the alignment (flashing timer, etc.) but if reapplied - the alignment continued without the need to reenter Lat/Long in NAV or IFA modes.

Note: IFA has perfect alignment despite any 'bad' GND alignment but it's a known bug reported elsewhere.

Yes but it's approx one video frame in 30 ? (res of cockpit displays 512, not every frame) and in step with the flashing 00:00 timer.

Releasing the parking brake - stops the GND alignment and the timer flashes 00:00 once a second with one video frame momentarily flashing a INS timer overflow ("00:0000:00..." etc) across both MPCD's

If the alignment was stopped BEFORE the map appears - putting the parking brake back on won't restart the alignment timer - to do that:

• I switched Alignment Mode to NAV or IFA

• entered aircraft Lat/Long again using the ODU (EHSD>Data>A/C)

• returning Alignment Mode to GND Align

would then restart the alignment timer.

AFTER the map appears on the EHSD, releasing the parking brake stopped the alignment (flashing timer, etc.) but if reapplied - the alignment continued without the need to reenter Lat/Long in NAV or IFA modes.

Note: IFA has perfect alignment despite any 'bad' GND alignment but it's a known bug reported elsewhere.

Cool, good. Should be useful to the dev team.

Guys thanks for taking the time to investigate this issue I'm having, I really appreciate the assistance.

I have just tried my mission again using the RMPCD for the alignment process, and it has worked fine. During alignment I waited for the process to complete before continuing with my startup sequence so as not to risk anything but I'm baffled as to why I had no problem this time. On previous startups, the only things I touched during alignment were DMT = On, TCN & ALT = On and FLIR = On, however, as I said, this time I touched nothing until the process completed.

I noticed that the wind direction changed from about 109° to 098° and back to 104° during the alignment process but the plane sat solid with wheelbrake on and the process completed normally.

Thanks for the feedback, we will check this issue.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Hello everyone,

For the past 7 or so start ups, my INS alignment process crashes at about 1:10, anyone got any ideas? Feel like I'm going round in circles.

trk and mission files attached.

W7(64) DCS OB 2.5.4.25729

Hi there,

Firstly thank you for providing these Track files. I have watched you Alignment one ( then again but taking control prior to the actual alignment)

And cant replicate this crash im afraid. Can you provide you keep this post updated if it repeats.

Thanks in advance

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

• 1 year later...

I just started having the same problem: DCS crashes as soon as the the INS knob is turned from "Align SEA" to "Align GND" the crash files have been sent via DCS.

Here is how to replicate:

1) start cold and card

2) make the usual startup procedure

3) turn off parking brake so you can advance throttle, throttle to idle, parking brake on

4) continue until INS alignment

5) Turn INS knob to "Align GND"

6) DCS Crashes.

The interesting thing is: I ontice dthat this only happens with certain mission files.... Scratching my head about this problem....

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I take it that it is just the INS that is crashing?

Mine crashes every time I do something else on an MPCD while it's aligning. I will have it aligning on the left MPCD and sometime I forget about the bug and switch the right MPCD to EW. I can guarantee that it will crash the INS.

In terms of taking off the parking brake, it's not necessary to fire up the engines. You don't need to take it off until you're ready to move off.

I have not found a way of getting the INS to reset so that I can continue the start-up once it bugs.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive