TrackIR+BS

I'm guessing: a must?

How do people find TrackIR 4 Pro? I'd want a large head movement for small head movement in-sim, with a large null-zone. Is this do-able?

I'm sat back 6ft from the desk when the sensor would be - is this a problem or an advantage?

Best regards,

Tango.

Yes, this is doable. TIR4 is a great piece of equipment, and worth your while. It might take a little time to get used to it and get it setup just the way you want at first, but it'll enhance your experience. Imagine suddenly finding out that you can lean forward, look out the window, and you can suddenly see your rocket pods ... or the ground almost directly under you. Or most of the nose :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Once you have used it you tend not to bother with any game that doesn't support it. Well that's how I found it anyway :)

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

I'm guessing: a must?

How do people find TrackIR 4 Pro? I'd want a large head movement for small head movement in-sim, with a large null-zone. Is this do-able?

I'm sat back 6ft from the desk when the sensor would be - is this a problem or an advantage?

Best regards,

Tango.

TrackIR 4 pro is brilliant, I wouldn't be without it, even in LOMAC/FC with 3DOF I wouldn't be without it. 6DOF is just...well it's amazing, it is game changing. Having problems with a piece of the cockpit blocking your view? Lean around it! Can't see a monitor properly? Move close to it it, it really is amazing.

You may have issues with the distance your sitting, but TrackIR is just on the end of a USB cable, so you can extend it with no issues. Remember if your using the IR expansion the dots of lights will get bigger to the camera the further you are away, so you will loose some accuracy/precision. If you HAVE to sit that far away, I would suggest putting the sensor either closer to you or behind you and invert it in the settings.

The null zone and acceleration your asking about is definatly and very easily achieved in the settings.

There is a chap on here called Gary who recently purchased it for BS (I don't own BS yet, waiting for the western release) and I know he spent quite a bit of time setting his up until he figured it all out. He may be a good person to speak to when you come to purchasing it (I assume from the way you have written your question you haven't got one yet).

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a tir question perhaps you can help with as it is probably just something i have missed.

I have dusted off my tir version 2 and installed the correct software from natural point. It works fine on desktop and will also move the cursor around the cockpit inBS but i can 't get it move the view/headmovement? I am obviously having a dumb day so could someone point me in the right direction please?

also do i need a profile as such for tir or can i just use any stock one for BS. I know i wont get the full 6dof with v2 but it will have to do until santa has been!

thanks

drummer

Used to be a casual simmer. Then, two years ago, I got TIR4. Now I sim a lot. It just became so much more of a natural, immersive experience. With BS and 6DOF, it's flat out bonkers. Bonkers, my friends. I can almost feel the cockpit glass against my face as I strain to see out and under the aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I finally broke down and purchased TIR4 PRO also, very happy with the investment. It has given a refreshing outlook on Arma, FSX and it is amazing with this game. You can tweak it til your hearts content. I'd recoment the trackclip pro also, I got it as a package from their website. Lots of places link to it and you can get a discount also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

@drummer

NaturalPoint have broken compatibility with TrackIR 1 and 2 by changing the interface to try to stop other programs from working with it.

well that is an unpleasant surprise!:mad: I didn't expect much from the old version 2 but for it to at least work as inteneded until the xmas spendingfest was over and a version 4 arrived. I did write to them telling what i wanted it for and what was the latest version software I cold use with it and then propmtly replies with v3.13

Are you saying they deliberatley 'broke it' for some commercial reason?

Is so then I shall be them strking off my xmas list and going down the freeview route.

thanks for your help

drummer

Are you saying they deliberatley 'broke it' for some commercial reason?

Is so then I shall be them strking off my xmas list and going down the freeview route.

thanks for your help

drummer

Well they didn't "break" it, they encrypted the data passed between the hardware/drivers and the software built into BS, and presumably TIR 1 & 2 don't support that.

So the question is, why after all this time did they decide to encrypt that data? The answer is because other 3rd party software was using their interface without authorisation - so it's those other tools that mean you have a problem now with TIR 1 & 2 (in the same way as we bear the pain of Starforce because of pirates for example).

Having said that, the lack of 6DOF in those old versions of TIR really don't do BS justice - but the cost for upgrading is never a nice one to bear.

Best I can suggest is you talk with NP again about this specific issue and see what they say - they might have another plan. I would have thought though that you can still use the TIR in mouse emulation mode - with a TIR 1/2 you don't really get any more than that with BS anyway (I'd imagine - ditched my old TIR 1 about a year ago now).

r.

• Like 1

Well they didn't "break" it, they encrypted the data passed between the hardware/drivers and the software built into BS, and presumably TIR 1 & 2 don't support that.

So the question is, why after all this time did they decide to encrypt that data? The answer is because other 3rd party software was using their interface without authorisation - so it's those other tools that mean you have a problem now with TIR 1 & 2 (in the same way as we bear the pain of Starforce because of pirates for example).

Having said that, the lack of 6DOF in those old versions of TIR really don't do BS justice - but the cost for upgrading is never a nice one to bear.

Best I can suggest is you talk with NP again about this specific issue and see what they say - they might have another plan. I would have thought though that you can still use the TIR in mouse emulation mode - with a TIR 1/2 you don't really get any more than that with BS anyway (I'd imagine - ditched my old TIR 1 about a year ago now).

r.

Hi,

well thanks for your input. I have also had a personal message from a TIR representative who explained that version 1 & 2 have different hardware and are not supported in BS. A pity as i understood it would not be 6dof but just wanted the head movement till xmas. Still find it difficult to fathom as my old v2 still moves the cursor around the cockpit, why it can't move the views is really beyond my non techy brain. I could go and buy an update now but family are clamouring for gift ideas so i have to wait.

maybe those kind NP will offer me a discounted upgrade as a long standing customer:music_whistling: I SAID MAYBE THOSE KIND.........

DRUMMER ;)

Hi,

well thanks for your input. I have also had a personal message from a TIR representative who explained that version 1 & 2 have different hardware and are not supported in BS. A pity as i understood it would not be 6dof but just wanted the head movement till xmas. Still find it difficult to fathom as my old v2 still moves the cursor around the cockpit, why it can't move the views is really beyond my non techy brain. I could go and buy an update now but family are clamouring for gift ideas so i have to wait.

maybe those kind NP will offer me a discounted upgrade as a long standing customer:music_whistling: I SAID MAYBE THOSE KIND.........

DRUMMER ;)

Hi Guys,

Well my old TIR2 is giving full head movement and in Enhanced mode too. If you scour these forums there is a software workaround I DLed the day after I installed BS. But I am expecting TIR4 and clip this week. I am worried about what other gadgets I will now be tempted to buy....

As someone who has been simming since zx spectrums were the pc of choice(!) this Sim is the piece de resistance. A quite astonishing level of commitment to detail and credible realism by ED has given the simming community the best experiences we could hope for, from Lock On to FC and now BS. EXTRAORDINARY work. And hours of fun. I miss my wife though, but she hasn't complained yet!

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

@ryuzu

Face it, they broke it, putting their own interests ahead of users. If you think competition sharing a software interface is illegal and comparable to piracy you couldn't be more wrong. The opposite is true, it is a serious crime in the US for a monopoly to try to prevent competition from sharing an interface.

TrackIR 1 and 2 were capable of 6dof with FreeTrack until they were forced to remove this feature.

With TrackIR 5 coming I wonder how long it will take for TrackIR 3 support to become broken.

I have a comment on original post... why would you want actual head movement to be more then in-game movement? You are aware for you to look sideways (or even to your rear) in-game would require you to still look at your screen in front of you? So this is actually NOT workable.

You need to turn head in game and still be able to look at your screen which means at max you can turn your head in real life some 40deg-45deg and be able to look at the front (although not comfortable at this position) in order to look to your rear in-game.

Other than that I find having clickable cockpit in game and HOTAS/RudderPeddals/TrackIR is all you need in this (or any other) flight sim and all are well worth the purchase.

No longer active in DCS...