Active carrier

Teetwo

Depends if you fly on public or private multiplayer missions where you are sure no one will spawn afterward.

That just goes back to my statement of more than X number of people at once. On a private server this number is likely going to be low anyway, and in no way resemble the real capacity of the carrier. On a 60+ client public server after the hornet launch think about how many people are going to want to fly carrier ops. The 104th has its own carrier for the harrier right now, and it possible to spawn on top of someone with like 5 jets if you don't radio in with some 3rd party solution that everyone might not be using, never mind the fact you spawn in the landing area. IRL jets don't magically appear out of thin air and become hazard in previously clear spaces.

It's very obvious that Blkspade has put a lot of thought into this and I couldn't agree with him more. The facts surrounding the multiplayer environment are pretty hard to get away from, regardless of how real some may wish to have it. I once proposed that the collision box for all of the aircraft be altered, if not done away with altogether while on the flight deck in order to avoid accidents while taxiing to or from the cats or landing area. You would have thought that I was suggesting that ED port DCS World over to X Box!! I couldn't believe the responses from some of the folks. No matter how good Wags makes it, we will never be able to fully recreate the real carrier deck environment for the public server. It's just too complicated for most casual simmers to deal with.

With that said, I still have all the confidence in the world that Wags and ED will make it an awesome experience and one that we will all have a ball with! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That just goes back to my statement of more than X number of people at once. On a private server this number is likely going to be low anyway, and in no way resemble the real capacity of the carrier. On a 60+ client public server after the hornet launch think about how many people are going to want to fly carrier ops. The 104th has its own carrier for the harrier right now, and it possible to spawn on top of someone with like 5 jets if you don't radio in with some 3rd party solution that everyone might not be using, never mind the fact you spawn in the landing area. IRL jets don't magically appear out of thin air and become hazard in previously clear spaces.

Hopefully they can make a queue system where if an airplane is already in that spot it will tell you that you are in position # in queue and maybe give you an external view of the carrier so you can see the action going on while you are in queue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hopefully they can make a queue system where if an airplane is already in that spot it will tell you that you are in position # in queue and maybe give you an external view of the carrier so you can see the action going on while you are in queue.

A queue seems like a logical/easy implementation since a Queue is nothing more than a collection. Not sure ED's coders use their own custom classes though. Your solution seems simple enough for an initial release.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I can only come up with problems to Players moving on deck. What happens to the AI system if the player decides to stop taxiing and hold up the "queue"? What happens to virtually moving a player from the spawn point to the cat if some joker parks in the way? What happens to player planes that are abandoned? Does AI stop launching? Does AI forcibly despawn you and send you back to spectators after a few minutes idle? Ever watched a traffic jam at an existing AI airfield? The best one yet is, what happens when (not if) someone crashes and leaves wreckage on the flight deck? I can tell you now, wreckage isn't despawnable, ever seen THOSE messes? What happens when someone doesn't contact the tower for landing and planes are still taxiing? AI just continues right now. If you touchdown on the runway and AI is taxiing, the entire runway stops and AI stands still.

There's way too many things that can go wrong to allow players to stop in a plane on the catapult area. Any solution will have to forcibly remove them. I strongly believe that an automated take control with an active despawn mechanism will be the only way it could work happily in multiplayer and even then, what happens if you don't actually start up? Or you reach the cat and one of the engines dies because your Warthog decides to idle cutoff by itself? I'm concerned even cold starts could work well. I'm yet to see AI work on the Tarawa, so there's a bunch of ifs needing sorted. Setting my expectations low initially.

Edited by Pikey

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

That sounds like a very sleek and timeworthy(glamour shots!) solution to the spawning problem. +1 sir if rep still existed

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

• 4 weeks later...

From the NATOPS manual:

8.2.4 Hangar Deck Operation. Occasionally the aircraft is manned on the hangar deck. Follow the

same procedures as those concerning flight deck operation.

Tiedowns shall not be removed from the aircraft unless emergency brake accumulator pressure

gauge indicates at least 2,600 psi. The emergency brake shall be used for stopping the aircraft anytime

it is being moved while the engines are not running. If the aircraft is not already on the elevator, it will

be towed or pushed (with the pilot in the cockpit) into position to be raised to the flight deck. Close

the canopy, ensure tiedowns are in place, and put the parking brake on anytime the aircraft is on the

elevator.

The signal to stop an aircraft that is being towed is either a hand signal or a whistle blast. The whistle

signifies an immediate or emergency stop. Leave the canopy open and helmet off to ensure hearing the

whistle; keep the plane director in sight at all times. If unable to see the plane director, or if in doubt

of safe aircraft movement, stop the aircraft immediately.