F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions - Page 11 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 12:50 AM   #101
AusMumbles

Morning Gents,

Progress has been slow going at the moment. Finally got some time to crack on with the model over the last couple of days.

Punk and Dino, any thoughts on how you’re going to do the instruments?

I was thinking 6 Screens across the front instrument panel. If the F-14D gets released swapping out the front façade plate might be the way to go if you want to upgrade.

Cheers,
Mumbles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-14 3d Model 1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	190855   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-14 3d Model 3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	190856   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-14 3d Model 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	190857  

AusMumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #102
Cobra847
3rd Party Developer

I haven't forgotten about this - just swamped

Founder & Lead Artist
Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
Cobra847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:29 AM   #103
Freeroamer

So it's coming soon?
Freeroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #104
Tomcat Driver

following
Tomcat Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:28 AM   #105
Dino Might

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusMumbles View Post
Morning Gents,

Progress has been slow going at the moment. Finally got some time to crack on with the model over the last couple of days.

Punk and Dino, any thoughts on how you’re going to do the instruments?

I was thinking 6 Screens across the front instrument panel. If the F-14D gets released swapping out the front façade plate might be the way to go if you want to upgrade.

Cheers,
Mumbles
I really need to get back to this. I'm going to do each panel individually in acrylic and mount to plywood or other acrylic frame pieces connected by DZUS fasteners. I would like to make it modular enough so I could pop out panels and pop in others depending on the aircraft, but I haven't looked at what sizing and modifications I'd need to do for that. The only major swaps I would need to make would be putting in MFCDs for the A10, so I might try to incorporate those for things like the fuel management panel and HSD if I can't figure a way to make the modular cockpit work.

Rear seat is going to be bare bones with VR. May add panels at a later date if I get bored.

I'm not even to the drawing stages yet, and have no CAD experience. Hopeless ambition is my fuel at this point.

By the way, are you designing in SketchUp? Or another program?

I've got access to solidworks at work, but don't know how to use it yet.

Last edited by Dino Might; 07-31-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Dino Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:00 AM   #106
AusMumbles

Nick,

Absolutely no rush on those dimensions. We all just appreciate the fact that your making time to do it.

Dino,

If your looking to make a modular pit I would potentially recommend using LynxDK's A-10C plans bellow. (Free)

http://lynx.dk/downloads/a-10c-plans-blueprints/

His side consoles are 2 panels wide just like the Tomcat and look like they are setup for DZUS rails from the get go. Making new panels and swapping them out would be pretty straightforward at that point.

The same principle would apply for the instrument panel. I would build a free standing frame that a flat panel TV could be mounted on. If you wanted to swap it out between a F-14 and A-10 at that point just placing a new instrument panel frame into a mounting bracket just in front of the TV would work a treat. The SDA simpit software would allow you to do this pretty easily once you set it up and saved it for the first time.

I'll try and make something up in sketchup this weekend for you just to give a rough idea as to how I would do it.

Yeah I'm using it sketchup. I really haven't had an issue with it so far. I would start with something small like altimeter frame and work your way up to bigger and more complicated parts.

If you’re not sold on a CNC you can always just print the plans full size from the pdf and glue them to the MDF you’re going to cut. Just use a jigsaw to cut the panels out. You will have to spend a little more time cleaning your products up later but it’s far from hard to do.

What are you going to do for your HOTAS? I was thinking a Warthog mod might work

I've gotten a little further with the F-14 model, specifically the instrument panel. If anyone has the dimensions of any of the instrument I would greatly appreciate it.

LynxDK has made a few products for DCS cockpit builders. He is currently working on a F/A-18 is anyone is interested.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216683

Cheers,
Mumbles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f-14 pit 4aug18.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	191410  

Last edited by AusMumbles; 08-05-2018 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Added a pic
AusMumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:03 AM   #107
Freeroamer

Any updates?
Freeroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #108
AH_Solid_Snake

This is some really impressive work, is the sketch file available to download anywhere?
AH_Solid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:23 AM   #109
Dino Might

Okay, time to get serious on this. My Bosch jigsaw just came in and I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow for some plywood.

Anybody got dimensions on the Mk GRU-7A ejection seat? (I think that's the one in the F-14A)

I'd like to build it out this week so I can finally get rid of my desk and floor mount my joystick.

Last edited by Dino Might; 08-19-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:53 AM   #110
Dino Might

This is all I could find, so far:

https://i.imgur.com/8ol0RhV.jpg

Not even sure if this is representative of an actual aircraft, but it gives me a starting point for some possible dimensions at least. Really want that defined headrest on the GRU-7(A), though...