Vulkan API - Page 10 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2018, 11:59 PM   #91
jwflowersii
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Buckeye= View Post
This.
The issue is CPU when it comes to single player missions. Why multithreading solves some issues, it's hard to do concurrent operations when other operations are dependent on each other. CPU is still a major blocker in a lot of complex sims and games. I was hoping to have 5Ghz processsors by now, but alas they went multi-threaded and reduced thermal output.
jwflowersii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #92
bell_rj
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 136
Default

You can easily overclock some CPUs to 5Ghz but unfortunately the physical limits of current silicon based technology seems to be constraining what can be achieved with mass market cooling solutions. There needs to be a step change to get over that 5Ghz barrier for mass market CPUs it seems.
__________________
Rig specs: i7700k @4.45Ghz. 16GB RAM. MSI GTX 1070ti. 27" 1440p G-Sync monitor. SSD.
bell_rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:06 AM   #93
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team
 
SkateZilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 18,231
Default

overclocking CPU is pointless in low overhead APIs
__________________
Windows 7 Ult. 64, HAF922, FX8350 @ 5.31GHz H100 Cooled, 16GB DDR3-2133 GSkill,
2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Plat. Fatal1ty Champion,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050)
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:51 AM   #94
bolek
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: 10S EG74
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
overclocking CPU is pointless in low overhead APIs
That's not true, there is plenty of stuff running on the CPU (e.g. flight model, the world simulation) which has nothing to do with the graphics API.

(I am not arguing for overclocking, only that CPU speed will still be important even with Vulkan)
bolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #95
bell_rj
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 136
Default

Would that not depend upon the other workload that the CPU is running? I.e. if a CPU running at standard clock speeds is heavily utilised, and processes are set to normal priority, then overclocking would benefit the CPU response for all processing.
__________________
Rig specs: i7700k @4.45Ghz. 16GB RAM. MSI GTX 1070ti. 27" 1440p G-Sync monitor. SSD.

Last edited by bell_rj; 08-17-2018 at 10:45 AM.
bell_rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #96
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team
 
SkateZilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 18,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolek View Post
That's not true, there is plenty of stuff running on the CPU (e.g. flight model, the world simulation) which has nothing to do with the graphics API.

(I am not arguing for overclocking, only that CPU speed will still be important even with Vulkan)
right now w/ DCS Being DirectX11.

The Main Benefit of Overclocking is to Process Draw Commands Faster and Feed the GPU Faster and Get Better/Stable FPS.

If CPU cannot Process the Commands Smoothly, then you start to have FPS and GPU usage drops.

w/ Vulkan, most of the Graphics Commands will go directly to the GPU, so you wont need to Overclock to process commands fluidly.
__________________
Windows 7 Ult. 64, HAF922, FX8350 @ 5.31GHz H100 Cooled, 16GB DDR3-2133 GSkill,
2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Plat. Fatal1ty Champion,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050)
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #97
JimmyWA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Same. I’ve got a titan and 32 gigs of ram and still have issues sometimes. I just live with it because I’ll just be told the missions I fly are to complex or have to many objects. :-|
I’ve just rebuilt my high end system, and after discovering I couldn’t overclock >16gb, I removed the other 16gb to get the performance back.

Because I upgraded to Windows 10 and Then wiped my C drive, removing legacy apps, memory usage in dcs VR has gone down to 12gb.
JimmyWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #98
Worrazen
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Combat View Post
So you're mad at ED because Google, Mozilla and Microsoft don't version their software the way you want?
Assumption. No, I simply said I didn't agree with that one little bit, that's quite a far away from madness. ... Maybe some map tech changed so much going forward, because Strait of Hormuz is T5 right now and NTTR being T4 or what, something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Combat View Post
FYI... there was a very significant graphics engine upgrade between 2.0 and 2.5.
AFAIK that was from 1.5 to 2.0 Alpha/Beta, the big changelog ... that's why I don't get the jump from 2.0 to 2.5 because they explained 2.0 and 2.5 will be practically the same except unified maps and an updated Caucus (or not sure if update to caucus was announced back then)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Combat View Post
I've never heard of that version...
Ofcourse, because I'm goofing around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Same. I’ve got a titan and 32 gigs of ram and still have issues sometimes. I just live with it because I’ll just be told the missions I fly are to complex or have to many objects. :-|
That's because it's the other way around, given a fast GPU and lots of RAM, you need to look at CPU and VRAM.

With HBM Memory, VRAM shouldn't be a problem anytime soon, CPUs are going to remain problematic, even if you pair

Single-core CPU speeds are a crisis in the whole indstry, nothing we users can do about it, the whole x86 is a stagnating technology in terms of serial processing, for many years now, most of the media and marketing is hiding this abnomination pretty good from the general public.

Either the industry has to change or the some software magic has to happen on the programming end to use multiple cores as much as possible, but I'm afraid the bulk stuff will still have to run on a single core.

Overclocking just that single core and tying DCS to use that as the primary one would help a bit, if anyone's into that, overclocking just a single core might be easier on the CPU than overclocking all of the cores (but I have no idea about that in detail)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolek View Post
That's not true, there is plenty of stuff running on the CPU (e.g. flight model, the world simulation) which has nothing to do with the graphics API.

(I am not arguing for overclocking, only that CPU speed will still be important even with Vulkan)
Yes, and it's the GPU API that actually speeds up the CPU. EDIT: Opps, that's was a figure of speach, it doesn't speed it up, it lessens the workload to be accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
overclocking CPU is pointless in low overhead APIs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
right now w/ DCS Being DirectX11.

The Main Benefit of Overclocking is to Process Draw Commands Faster and Feed the GPU Faster and Get Better/Stable FPS.

If CPU cannot Process the Commands Smoothly, then you start to have FPS and GPU usage drops.

w/ Vulkan, most of the Graphics Commands will go directly to the GPU, so you wont need to Overclock to process commands fluidly.
But what about giving that a second thought, the CPU isn't just doing draw calls, both would help, overclocking and the new API.

Ofcourse, in a way you're right, but I'm talking (and probably others too) in the saturated scenario, the max potential, always, not in a free flight low activity one.

This only works if the CPU core/thread isn't saturated, you'll get no different FPS, just less CPU load with a newer API and less power consumption, or with an overclock you'd get more headroom, but it won't help FPS if CPU isn't bottlenecking with or without a newer API, in that limited scope scenario, once DCS puts more load on it it'll get saturated, but at a later stage, which means you could have a bit more units/AI/physics calculations going on before you drop frames IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWA View Post
Because I upgraded to Windows 10 and Then wiped my C drive
Oh, I shiver when I think about that ... That's fine for people who use PCs for only a few things that aren't that important, like gaming, but still these things are notoriously unreliable and buggy, you're better off just doing fresh Win10 next time. This is the kind of stuff that causes weird bugs in games and issues with drivers.
__________________
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607AU, SSD Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Asus P9x79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, Saitek Cyborg FLY5 Joystick.

Last edited by Worrazen; 08-22-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:06 AM   #99
JimmyWA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Oh, I shiver when I think about that ... That's fine for people who use PCs for only a few things that aren't that important, like gaming, but still these things are notoriously unreliable and buggy, you're better off just doing fresh Win10 next time. This is the kind of stuff that causes weird bugs in games and issues with drivers.
Ahh - but we aren’t all the same. VR simming is the main reason I built this PC. It is very important to me. Upgrading and wiping the C drive had resolved all my stability issues and improved performance.

My point was that you don’t need more than 16gb.

Please don’t judge everyone else by your own standards.
JimmyWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:54 AM   #100
NineLine
Community Manager
 
NineLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 22,428
Default

There are so many variables when it comes to computers and performance, for about a month I was having a horrible 10-15 second pause, and only in DCS, I tried everything, I mean EVERYTHING... it ended up being a voltage out of whack on my card, when I ran the EVGA Precision tool for my card and smoothed out the voltage curve, its been as smooth as a babies bottom, and that's a simple 1070.

So anything and everything can have an impact on your computer, even things you would never think of, sure DCS will always need love, and moving it forward, and optimizing for new tech and things like Vulcan, but it's not always on DCS either which makes it very tough for a software company to counter every possible configuration or issue out there.
__________________
Nick Grey - "I have had the privilege of flying most marks of Spit, the I, V, IX, XIV, XIX and enjoyed working with Eagle to make this simulation of the IX the 'mutt's nuts'."
Artist formerly known as SiThSpAwN
Forum RulesForum Rules Guidelines
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.