Huey Engine Failure? - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #81
Lehmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1330 View Post
That’s a design philosophy decision, where they have not left anything for emergencies
This is where the problem lays. For me it is hard to grab the concept, that significant part of control input is deliberately made to be damaging to the machine. But if you say that it is really so for Bell helicopters - I'm not arguing anymore.

Last edited by Lehmen; 08-18-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Lehmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #82
Sandman1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehmen View Post
This is where the problem lays. For me it is hard to grab the concept, that significant part of control input is deliberately made to be damaging to the machine. But if say that it is really so for Bell helicopters - I'm not arguing anymore.
This design decision saved the lives of some of my friends, so I’m not complaining
R5 1600X @ 4Ghz / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (@2933... for now) / Samsung 960 Evo M.2 / Saitek X55 / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Rift CV1
Sandman1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #83
Tippis

Quote:
This conception is nothing new in military vehicles, and usually called "emergency power", or something similar. And usually require special means to activate it. The fact that Huey have no emergency mode
Again, this just flat out incorrect. It is even marked as EMRG.

Quote:
and also that civilian Hueys are exactly the same as military ones, tells me that Huey governor is NOT designed to routinely kill the engine, as DCS Huey does.
No. The governor does not routinely kill the engine. Pilot mismanagement of the engine does. You can do this in any civilian vehicle you care to get your hands on. If you routinely fly in such a way that you wreck your engine, the fault is not with the engine or governor or any part of the machine, but with your routine disregard of how to fly properly. It's really not more complicated than that.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #84
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
This is where the problem lays. For me it is hard to grab the concept, that significant part of control input is deliberately made to be damaging to the machine. But if say that it is really so for Bell helicopters - I'm not arguing anymore.
Hm, ok maybe I can give a last analogy that helps to understand.
If an engineer in most western society's constructs a bridge, he plans with a certain percentage stress resistence as required by the regulations, say 80 tons. If he is worth his money he will allow for exceeding the required limits up to 130% to 200% to ensure it can hold in an emergency, yet this situation will require to fix a lot of damage the bridge have taken without killing somebody.

Eastern philosophy is more like building the same bridge with a limit of 100 tons which is more and "better" than the 80 tons.
Only if a couple trucks or tanks with an overall load of 102 tons drive over the brifge... Well, you get the idea.

The throttle (gaspedal) in your car with a shift gears, can be put to the floor and overrev the engine... You are not supposed to go pedal to the metal in 1st gear, a simple limitation everybody follows without thought.

It is how it is and not a flaw.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #85
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
So and so. As I've tested it again today, the OGE / IGE performance is pretty OK, you just need to be careful as you have a time constraint from the EGT, currently.
Unless something major has changed in the latest Open Beta patch - the torques required to hover OGE / IGE were close to the published charts.

However that is NOT the same as maximum available torque

Quote:
... max torque available is pretty close to the charts.
Please post a track of a UH-1H (104% loadout, no need to takeoff) at a FARP at 4000ft / 8°C OAT (16°C at MSL) maintaining 50 psi torque on the gauge.

Note: When tested in 1.5.8 Max torque was 40 +/- 2 psi at 4000 ft / 8°C OAT and limited due to EGT.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...8&d=1515893895
Ramsay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #86
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
Unless something major has changed in the latest Open Beta patch - the torques required to hover OGE / IGE were close to the published charts.

However that is NOT the same as maximum available torque

Please post a track of a UH-1H (104% loadout, no need to takeoff) at a FARP at 4000ft / 8°C OAT (16°C at MSL) maintaining 50 psi torque on the gauge.

Note: When tested in 1.5.8 Max torque was 40 +/- 2 psi at 4000 ft / 8°C OAT and limited due to EGT.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...8&d=1515893895
I am aware we are currently limited by the EGT getting critical, when going beyond 37 to 40 psi.
Still you can Take-Off (load out at maximum 112%), with 49-50 psi hold that for a while and then need to be careful as you are nearing the incorrect modeled EGT limits.

And sorry for the bad start was looking too much at the gauges

UH-1H_4kft_16degC_2992InHG_90eng.trk

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller

Last edited by shagrat; 08-18-2018 at 07:42 PM.
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #87
Lehmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
Hm, ok maybe I can give a last analogy that helps to understand.
No need. My problem was, I couldn't understand why do we always have that much additional collective and power, that can't be normally used, so I was thinking that Huey is broken. Now that I know that it is intentional (and if you think about it, having some additional power always available is a smart thing for helicopters) - I know that DCS Huey is not broken, it is indeed become much better after implementation of EGT.

Anyway, it was a very long time since I had fried my Huey engine, it is not that hard to fly respecting the limits.
Lehmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #88
FragBum

Quote:
This is where the problem lays. For me it is hard to grab the concept, that significant part of control input is deliberately made to be damaging to the machine. But if you say that it is really so for Bell helicopters - I'm not arguing anymore.
However that is how it is at least for an R44, you have a significant amount of input that if used incorrectly can and will damage the aircraft with conciquences. You as the pilot need to apply any input in a very measured way so as not to damage the aircraft which includes engine and transmission and flight parameters, you are at liberty to push any and all parameters but there are concequences to your actions.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:56 AM   #89
rtimmons

in the latest openbeta release it feels like the engine power is much greater with the EGT in the green. I was able to fly over 100 knots with 50% fuel and front mini guns/door gunners today and the EGT was staying well in the green. Still had trouble at 4500 ft altitude but it didn't catch on fire but rather would not stay air born. I think that may be normal. Not sure how real hueys fly at higher altitude but I have always had problems with DCS hueys in the mountain tops.

slyfly
rtimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:48 AM   #90
jaznit

Is this a specific fix in this release? I didn't see it in the notes
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...81#post3597281
- 16GB ram
- 250GB SSD, plus 2 x 2TB HDD
- Acer X34
- Saitek HOTAS X55
jaznit is offline   Reply With Quote