IAS meter ruined with diving

It happened to me at least twice. The IAS got stuck on the 600-700 kmh mark even though I recovered from the dive and slowed down to landing speed it just remained on these ticks. Is there a precaution I am not aware of? No I cant reproduce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 1 month later...

Never seen this... Usually when I go that fast in a dive it ends up with me drilling a hole in the dirt :)

It's possible they could stick at excessive speeds or be damaged by over-pressure, but I've never seen it happen before. I could give it a try sometime, but right now I'm still waiting for DCSW 2.5 and possibly the Spitfire module, so I'm playing Il-2 :)

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

+1 The IAS will stick if the pitot freezes.

Gotcha! I haven't flown it in really cold-weather missions for long duration, so I've never seen it happen. Now I'll remember it if it does. Thanks :)

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

I had this same thing happen the other day.

First thing I did was try and tap the gauge!

Whilst diving before starting a loop, the IAS got stuck around 600kmh mark, I figured that maybe the g forces during the loop had somehow jammed the needle. Managed to get it free again by throwing the aircraft around a bit.

I've also had sudden blackouts without having the usual slowly fading vision when pulling out of a dive.

I was putting that one down to old age.....:smilewink:

I had this same thing happen the other day.

First thing I did was try and tap the gauge!

Whilst diving before starting a loop, the IAS got stuck around 600kmh mark, I figured that maybe the g forces during the loop had somehow jammed the needle. Managed to get it free again by throwing the aircraft around a bit.

I've also had sudden blackouts without having the usual slowly fading vision when pulling out of a dive.

I was putting that one down to old age.....:smilewink:

The whole sudden-blackout thing is caused by applying high G excessively quickly... pulling back smoothly and easing it into the Gs will give the usual slow-onset blackout effect, whereas yanking it back in a mighty hurry will cause your field of vision to go black instantly. Same way it works in real life.

Kit:

Gotcha! I haven't flown it in really cold-weather missions for long duration, so I've never seen it happen. Now I'll remember it if it does. Thanks :)

You don't necessarily need cold weather to freeze it up, at high altitude the ambient temp is well into the negatives and even a short cruise up there will bring the outside of the plane to a similar temp. I think what actually causes the ice is plunging a freezing cold aircraft into more humid low alt air during a dive.