Virpil devices won't allow my PC to sleep after 2004 update

imacken

I updated to Windows 10 2004 yesterday, and I had a problem with my PC display not turning off or going to sleep.

After a long investigative process, I have identified that it is my 3 Virpil devices that are causing the issue.

If I switch off my 2 WarBRD bases and CM2 throttle and have all other devices plugged in - including TM TPR pedals, XBox controller etc. - then everything is good. Whenever I switch on ANY of the 3 Virpil devices, the problem is back.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep, but that is a last resort.

I've contacted Virpil support. Didn't sound too hopeful though. They basically said they were too busy to deal with the query!

At the moment, I am switching off the Virpil devices, which is a pain.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry, no. The problem is that it won't go to sleep or switch display off with any Virpil device connected. I have to switch them off and then everything is OK.

revert back to previous windows version when this was working ok

That can't be the solution. The world is evolving. If everybody had this attitude, we would still use Windows 3.11 today. The solution is rather that Virpil adapts its software to the new Windows version. Of course, Virpil needs some time to do this.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Sorry, no. The problem is that it won't go to sleep or switch display off with any Virpil device connected. I have to switch them off and then everything is OK.

Oh so you cannot use shutdown instead ?

That can't be the solution. The world is evolving. If everybody had this attitude, we would still use Windows 3.11 today. The solution is rather that Virpil adapts its software to the new Windows version. Of course, Virpil needs some time to do this.

Best guess is that the windows upgrade to the new windows 10 version has changed or reset some setting, causing this issue now

Maybe Op can go through his power profile settings and spot what has changed?

Suggesting some options to OP:

1. Try using shutdown instead see if that works

2. Try examining power profile setting in control panel to see if something has changed between old win version and this one

3. Try using Devcon or some other util to disable the virpil devices before going to sleep and then use it again after wake to enable them

4. Un-plug Virpil devices before sending PC to sleep

See which one is easiest for you to do

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Yes, I can use shutdown, but I don't want to as I have scheduled tasks that run during the night.

Nothing has changed in the Windows power profile that I can see.

This is definitely a Virpil issue as my Thrustmaster devices are plugged in along with XBox controllers, VR headsets, etc. etc. and they all work OK. It's only when I switch on one or all of my 3 Virpil device that the issue occurs.

I don't have access to devcon, I'm afraid.

I suspect that the 2004 update has caused some incompatibility with Virpil devices.

Thanks. Tbh, it's easier switching the 3 Virpils off, but it doesn't solve the issue. I tend to walk away from my PC regularly and just let it sleep. I can't do that now. I've raised a ticket with Virpil. Let's see what they say.

On the other hand, it's not only Virpil that causes a problem.

When my Oculus runs, i have the same. When my Garmin Edge 810 is hooked up, it even restarts the computer when i shut it down. And i'm not on 2004 Windows yet.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On the other hand, it's not only Virpil that causes a problem.

When my Oculus runs, i have the same. When my Garmin Edge 810 is hooked up, it even restarts the computer when i shut it down. And i'm not on 2004 Windows yet.

Of course, there are other issues for other people, but my issue is Virpil which has just recently started happening.

OK, so I just borked one of my WarBRD bases as I accidentally loaded in a later version profile.

I watched

but no joy!

Please see attached. Am I shorting the right pins?

IMG_1545.thumb.jpg.3fadf0f7aa58397fc1c4f3d275118873.jpg

Not borked any more, I just couldn't see it as the USB devices were filtered.

So, I reverted the firmware to earlier version and it made no difference. I guess I'll just have to wait for Virpil to get back to me.

I reverted back to Windows 1909 and now everything is back to normal and all OK.

I've basically given up getting my Windows desktop computer to sleep on it's own. It seems every time I spend hours determining what the problem is and fixing it, something else is preventing it from sleeping a few weeks later.

I changed my power button function to put the computer to sleep, and just hit that every time I walk away from my computer now.

Personally, it’s only ever been an issue on this PC when I installed 2004, and even then, that was caused by Virpil devices.

For me, forcing sleep is not the answer as I have tasks that run during the night. They would mean that the PC would remain awake.

Amyway, I’m back on 1909 till this is resolved and all is good.

It has happened to me always when I leave any controller plugged in. I still don't have 2004 and it happens.

It has an explanation though: usually axis are always sending input as there is always some noise. For instance, a throttle value can be moving from let's say 1924 to 1925 and back constantly and without touching it. Windows or manufacturer software filters this and it doesn't translate into inputs in game or any other software however, input from the device is being sent constantly so it doesn't let Windows to go to sleep.

It is a very old problem and I've got rid of it by installing a powered usb HUB with switches so I can turn the devices off easily.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

It has happened to me always when I leave any controller plugged in. I still don't have 2004 and it happens.

It has an explanation though: usually axis are always sending input as there is always some noise. For instance, a throttle value can be moving from let's say 1924 to 1925 and back constantly and without touching it. Windows or manufacturer software filters this and it doesn't translate into inputs in game or any other software however, input from the device is being sent constantly so it doesn't let Windows to go to sleep.

It is a very old problem and I've got rid of it by installing a powered usb HUB with switches so I can turn the devices off easily.

I think we're missing the point here. It is not a 'very old problem' for me. It has only started with Windows 2004. That is the point. Everything is all good again now that I'm back on 1909.

I also have a powered hub, and can, of course. remember to turn off the offending devives, but that is not the solution. Something in this new update has changed and it needs to be fixed by MS or Virpil or both.

• 1 month later...

Windows 10 2004 has been delayed for some time because of the many and varied problems it has been causing. Many systems can't be updated to it at all as of yet and Microsoft have warned against forcing the install. It should only be upgraded through windows update, when they make it available.

Its not Virpil software that is causing an issue because Virpil software is not used to drive the Virpil devices. Its all programmed in to the device that then uses a USB interface chip that is just like any other. Virpil don't make their own so its not likely to be their issue.

Until Microsoft sorts out its recent problems with updates you could look at using a USB hub with individual power switches for each port. They can be had for a reasonable cost. Then you just need to press a couple of buttons if you must have the latest Windows version.

i9 10900X & 5700XT

VPC WarBRD, TM F18C, VPC Alpha, VPC T50CM2 Throttle, TM TFRP Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Mine became available to update to 2004 on Saturday, so far no issues that I have noticed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Do you have any Virpil devices, Don?

Do you have any Virpil devices, Don?

Yes but none hooked up at this time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...

The solution was Microsoft released an update patch to fix what they broke with USB and sleep, nothing to do with Virpil

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

The solution was Microsoft released an update patch to fix what they broke with USB and sleep, nothing to do with Virpil

I know you've got a thing about MS, but we don't know that the solution came from them at all. It could well have been Virpil or some other manufacturer that provided the solution for all we know.

It was only Virpil and TM devices that were an issue for me. Other steering wheels, pedals, keyboards, controllers and mice were unaffected.