Operation Black Bear - A 10 mission campaign for the JF-17 Thunder

• 1 month later...

Sorry i havent gotten to read the thread. First it was one of the best sfripted campaifbs i ever played in dcs.

2... the killbbn the awacs mission. Is that It? Because i have a weird bug that happens only in that mission - my pilot will get hypoxia and blackout no matter what. Yes i know abr the co2 and plug. Hell u can yse ram air and no mask below a certain height.

It doesnt matter in this mission

But th3n again i had a weird hypoxia issur creep up today in a dce camp i swifched a kf17 in for su27s. However today also same dce i had grnd steering isssues. Aga8j seems isolated to 1 sortie.

So odd

I Rlly hope u keep making campaigns. Where can i gove u a donaton?

Well, I’ve tried everything to get past mission 2 in this campaign. Even if you CCIP the GBU16s onto the bridge, it claims that the bridge has been destroyed yet the mission fails. :dunno:

I’d be interested to know how the others got passed mission 2.

Either the campaign needs a serious rework, or a later DCS update broke it. Or both. It’s a shame as there are very few campaigns for the Jeff and this one had some promise.

Thats so weird i dont recall any issies on mission 2.

Can yiu descrine or paste the briefing?

Sometimes allied d flights have to also d9 something or its no good. An airfield attaxi where a tu16 launches a missile at the ad and viggens hit the runway e5c - alot can go wrong. The migs are taking off so fast i ve often shot one downbsith a hsater andbhe wasnt just getting airborne he was maneuvering.

So one time i did all of it landed and itnjust didnt pass.

Idk why - the air defenses i just ignofed and somehow got away with it. But that bkmber jettissoned or ffkd up firing the missile..so it didnt hit airfields sam site and mission no go

Thats so weird i dont recall any issies on mission 2.

Can yiu descrine or paste the briefing?

Mission 2 is the mission where you destroy the bridge and due to the creative methods I have to use to make the mission trigger, you HAVE to use the GBU-16. There was also a problem with mission complete trigger This made a lot of people "fail" the mission even tough the bridge was destroyed.

Confirmed fixed in 1.4:

Where can i gove u a donaton?

Thanks but no donations necessary.

I Rlly hope u keep making campaigns.

My current goal is to update Operation Black Bear to Version 1.5. I am playing through it and see what I need to fix or update and recording it on my Youtube Channel. Once done, I will cut the material to a trailer and call it done and hopefully nothing will break the campaign in the future :P

signature.png

Mission 2 is the mission where you destroy the bridge and due to the creative methods I have to use to make the mission trigger, you HAVE to use the GBU-16. There was also a problem with mission complete trigger This made a lot of people "fail" the mission even tough the bridge was destroyed.

Confirmed fixed in 1.4:

Thanks but no donations necessary.

My current goal is to update Operation Black Bear to Version 1.5. I am playing through it and see what I need to fix or update and recording it on my Youtube Channel. Once done, I will cut the material to a trailer and call it done and hopefully nothing will break the campaign in the future :P

we want MOAR lol

MOAR JF17 camps. or F14! or huey! (can u guess my fav modules?)

To answer a question from Twitter:

The reason there are no overview maps of the flight path is to simulate the reduced resources available to Kuban Security. They essentially get handed a target from Russian Command and a timeframe.

The second reason is that I want the player to trust the JF-17 Thunders systems. Navigation is fairly easy in the Jeff but a person who may simply look at a flight map and the F-10 Map may never learn it properly. So I rather force the player to rely on the built-in navigational aids.

we want MOAR lol
I have not decided what the next project will be but there is a part of me that considers sending Kuban Security and their Jeffs to the Syrian Civil War. It would be interesting but considering the sensitive topic would be difficult to write a story around. I don't want to make it "Syrian Warfare" style.
Edited by JonathanRL

signature.png

OPERATION BLACK BEAR 1.5 PATCH NOTES

This is intended to the be final version of the Operation Black Bear Campaign. Most of the bugs I come across has been fixed, including some I discovered by off chance. I have also changed a few things to better suit the timeframe; mostly aircraft and made some missions less frustrating i.e compensating for the game engine.

I have furthermore added a Co-Op Campaign, meant for two Players.

To implement these effects, you have to download the package again. If you do not wish to lose progression, simply install the mission files and not the .cmp file.

MISSION 1:

Add "mission complete" message. - ADDED

Clarified Briefing about Radio Channels - ADDED

MISSION 2:

Add "mission complete" message. - ADDED

Add Briefing note about GBU-16 - ADDED

Clarified Briefing about Radio Channels - ADDED

Removed SD-10 Missiles from loadout - FIXED

MISSION 3:

Add "mission complete" message - FIXED

Clarified Briefing about Radio Channels - FIXED

Score Bug - FIXED

MISSION 4:

MISSION 5:

Scramble Aircraft are now more dangerous - FIXED

MISSION 6:

LD-10s switched for C-701T Missiles- FIXED

MiG 21s replaced with MiG 23 - FIXED

Anti-Frustration Mechanic added - FIXED

Fix Viggen Attack - FIXED

Fix Mission Score - FIXED

MISSION 7:

Missing Voice Line - FIXED

Reduced Wind and Turbolence; caused problems with low end machines - FIXED

MISSION 8:

Anti-Frustration Mechanic added - FIXED

Altered Mission Threats - FIXED

MISSION 9:

Bug unlikely to happen removed - FIXED

MISSION 10:

MiG 21s replaced with MiG 25s - FIXED

signature.png

Can't seem to get past mission 3. I get there on time and destroy the Bears and Floggers. Then, I get BRAA call for the Flankers and are told to RTB, but when I land and end the mission, it says I've failed.

I do get the Mission Complete pop-up after I am told to RTB on the top right, but again it says I failed on the debrief.

J20Stronk: Are you playing the latest version? If you do, you should get a popup that says "MISSION COMPLETE. YOU MAY NOW RTB AND END THE MISSION. "

If this does not show up, download the latest version but ONLY replace the .miz files so your progression is saved. Mission 3 contained a bug that could cause the mission to not be completed but it has been fixed in the latest release.

If you are playing the latest release, let me know and I will look at it again.

EDIT:

Download this one. Just replace the .miz file in the Campaigns and tell me if that solves your problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egcus7rxbmaq1mu/Mission3.miz?dl=0

Edited by JonathanRL

signature.png

J20Stronk: Are you playing the latest version? If you do, you should get a popup that says "MISSION COMPLETE. YOU MAY NOW RTB AND END THE MISSION. "

If this does not show up, download the latest version but ONLY replace the .miz files so your progression is saved. Mission 3 contained a bug that could cause the mission to not be completed but it has been fixed in the latest release.

If you are playing the latest release, let me know and I will look at it again.

EDIT:

Download this one. Just replace the .miz file in the Campaigns and tell me if that solves your problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egcus7rxbmaq1mu/Mission3.miz?dl=0

Yes I get the pop-up, but I still only get 50 pts out of the 100 and fail the mission.

I opened the mission in the editor and checked the win conditions.

After 30 seconds I do get awarded the 50 points, and flying into the Sochi trigger zone also awards me the other 50 (I moved and spawned myself over the area at mission start.).

But for some reason playing the mission all the way through, coming back to base after successfully flying to Sochi and destroying the targets I still only get 50 points in the debrief and the mission ends in failure.

I know that you don't have to destroy anything, just flying into the Sochi trigger should be enough to pass the mission.

I even changed the parameters so that you DO need to damage at least one of the parked aircraft, and that worked also, but only when I was testing it in the editor. In the actual mission I still only got 50/100, even after completely wiping out all targets at Sochi.

My guess is that for some reason the 50 pts you get in the first 30 seconds are removed later in the mission, and only the SochiDetection pts are kept.

Check the file I posted above and see if that helps the problem. My guess is not that the "basic" score disappears but that the second part is never applied. In general, mission objectives bound to flag triggers are far superior to any triggers bound to anything else so I changed it around a bit. Otherwise I will dig into it this weekend. Wierd thing is, the previous solution worked for me. I had the same bug, fixed it and could proceed the campaign normally since I played every mission to make sure progression worked as it should.

Things like this is btw why I just asked ED to give us a better Mission Win option:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4431840#post4431840

signature.png

I have tried the fix for Mission 3 two times now and had a friend test it once. It should be hammered out now. If it keeps bothering, I will add a skip mission button. Something I really ought to have done either way I suppose.

New package updated with fixes for mission 1, 3 and 10.

signature.png

• 1 month later...
Thanks for this excellent campaign (I would pay for a commercial one)
I will probably never make a commercial one; the entry ticket for DCS is high enough as it is. If Deka Ironworks wants to include it in the module however, all they have to do is drop me a message.

I'll check Mission 6 later today. Most likely one of my altered mission victory triggers acting up.

signature.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(Version 1.51) I think there is a bug for Mission 3. The AJS37 team which should be bombing the runway will crash into the sea before dropping bombs. I think their waypoint 4 and 5 has incorrect altitude.

Edited by cjffly

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2020 at 2:02 PM, cjffly said:

(Version 1.51) I think there is a bug for Mission 3. The AJS37 team which should be bombing the runway will crash into the sea before dropping bombs. I think their waypoint 4 and 5 has incorrect altitude.

Sorry for getting to this one late but I did take a look at it.

The waypoints themselves are fine; however the use of of Time on Target makes the Viggens fly very slow. Coupled with the Runway Attack seemingly not working as intended, they will follow this period of slow speed with sharp manoeuvrers. This may cause them to end up in the water tough during the five times I ran it, I could not reproduce the bug.

Since I expect 2.7 to cause further headaches, I have scheduled a check through as well as toggling the clouds for the Campaign when it is released. Will include a fix then.

Edited by JonathanRL

signature.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okey so with Desert Thunder 2.7 out the door, I will revisit Black Bear and since I am the person I am, the campaign will receive an overhaul. I am simply not pleased with the quality currently and will make sure the Campaign has the basics I come to expect from myself. That being "Skip Mission" function, Briefing Flight Map and more efficient triggers as well as mission specific fixes (for example making Mission 3 take less time to play)

I do not have any time estimate of when this will be done but know that is being worked upon.

• Like 1

signature.png