The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

16 hours ago, boapiu said:

oops. as soon as I set the path, or try to, the app crashes. are there any instructions?

where are you setting the path too?

This behavior sounds like the file path exception bug I've fixed internally, when you point to a directory incorrectly as it crashes looking for files that arent there.

Should be pointing to \DCS World\ root...  not \Bin\ or \Bin-mt\ etc.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Good day, I am reaching out for a little help.

I have oculus rift s.  Yesterday all was good.  Today when I try to start DCS, either through this launcher with VR on, or through the desk top icon, it crashes on the load, with only the start icon appearing below then disappearing.

If I start with this utility with VR off, it flashes up right away.

Any idea what the gremlin may be between DCS and starting in RIFT S VR?.  Like I said, this is the first time this glitch has reared its ugly head since I reloaded the game months ago.  All good until trying to flash up today.  Curses!!!

Any advice appreciated.

Wally.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 200740.png

Sometimes I get this far into the boot up, but then it stops.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 201552.png

Disregard my VR problems, I found this is a common issue on thread. 

Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

However, if you have an idea on how to fix, please share.

Probably nothing if you upgraded to Oculus v63 because v63 PTC is rolled out into release and the problem started there.
ED needs to come with an update.

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, majorandme said:

Disregard my VR problems, I found this is a common issue on thread. 

Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

However, if you have an idea on how to fix, please share.

Change the API to Oculus API in th4e Adv. Launcher Page.

4 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Probably nothing if you upgraded to Oculus v63 because v63 PTC is rolled out into release and the problem started there.
ED needs to come with an update.

ED has a fix internally from what they've said, However, they are not required to rush any updates to fix something Meta broke themselves. Plus there is a alternate launch method that side steps the problem *Using Oculus Runtimes instead of OpenXR.

ED Rushing a update will not fix the problem with 75% of Meta's own library apps crashing with the same problem.

Meta's QA team seriously dropped the ball on this, as the problem was reported in their tester forums long before it went to preview and release builds.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

11 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Change the API to Oculus API in th4e Adv. Launcher Page.

ED has a fix internally from what they've said, However, they are not required to rush any updates to fix something Meta broke themselves. Plus there is a alternate launch method that side steps the problem *Using Oculus Runtimes instead of OpenXR.

ED Rushing a update will not fix the problem with 75% of Meta's own library apps crashing with the same problem.

Meta's QA team seriously dropped the ball on this, as the problem was reported in their tester forums long before it went to preview and release builds.

No effect.  Crashes on boot up, except if SteamVR selected, then it opens in 2D

12 hours ago, majorandme said:

No effect.  Crashes on boot up, except if SteamVR selected, then it opens in 2D

I will check the behavior on my end in debug mode, but it maybe a argument issue w/ the launcher.

I will also check w/ Meta, as they might be putting out a patch or rollback instructions, 

I think it *ONLY* effects Quest I II II through Oculus Link, they integrated changes that causes the Headset to timeout and crash the app using it and / or the Display driver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

I will check the behavior on my end in debug mode, but it maybe a argument issue w/ the launcher.

I will also check w/ Meta, as they might be putting out a patch or rollback instructions, 

I think it *ONLY* effects Quest I II II through Oculus Link, they integrated changes that causes the Headset to timeout and crash the app using it and / or the Display driver.

Thanks Z.  Appreciated.  BTW, I have a cable Rift S.  I can launch with VR off, but when VR on, as soon as DCS tries to boot or connect to Oculus, DCS crashes. 

On 3/9/2024 at 12:22 PM, SkateZilla said:

The real question should be: did anybody who is not Meta's AI noticed the bug and reported it in the tracking system... And also how widespread the issue is.

BTW, is it possible to launch different external apps based on the selected profile? E.g launch oculus for VR and trackir for default? 

10 hours ago, Blazkovitch said:

The real question should be: did anybody who is not Meta's AI noticed the bug and reported it in the tracking system... And also how widespread the issue is.

BTW, is it possible to launch different external apps based on the selected profile? E.g launch oculus for VR and trackir for default? 

As for Meta, that issue been discussed endlessly in the thread for the v63 update no need to filter it over here more than it already has.

As for the App, the External Apps launching is not linked to profile or launch mode.

• Like 1

Hey Everybody, Been using the latest version of the App with only DCS Open Beta installed and launched via the App. Everything is working fine as advertised.  Since the new version consolidation I have noticed no difference in launch behavior. Going forward, will I need to or should I change anything in the App? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , I know this has been asked before , is there any way to resize the window to fit the screen , at the moment to very hard to see the bottom of the screen, thanks in advance

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

6 hours ago, Vector1 said:

Hi , I know this has been asked before , is there any way to resize the window to fit the screen , at the moment to very hard to see the bottom of the screen, thanks in advance

there currently is no re-sizing option due to the amount of data presented and the format of the controls.

Current size is ~66% of a 1080p Screen.

OK thanks for the reply

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

21 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

there currently is no re-sizing option due to the amount of data presented and the format of the controls.

Current size is ~66% of a 1080p Screen.

Not a prioity at all, but it would be very nice to see a screen resizing option in the future, as a lot of the text is hard to read on a 4K screen. I think we may have touched on this sometime ago already.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

8 hours ago, imacken said:

Not a prioity at all, but it would be very nice to see a screen resizing option in the future, as a lot of the text is hard to read on a 4K screen. I think we may have touched on this sometime ago already.

yes we have, high DPI mode and scaling is on the future plans, but there are several larger things coming before it, and major UI Changes and Code changes required to facilitate the DPI Scaling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, strange. Today a DLSS option dissapeared in Rendering tab. I can only select FSR and NIR. 

In logs I found "04/11/2024 | 10:16:42 PM | SUPPORT  | NVIDIA RTX GPU NOT INSTALLED"

Ah, OK. SO I think this is becuase it detected Virtual Desktop as my primary GPU card and Quest 3 as secondary... Interesting 🙂

Edited by Blazkovitch

2 hours ago, Blazkovitch said:

Hmm, strange. Today a DLSS option dissapeared in Rendering tab. I can only select FSR and NIR. 

In logs I found "04/11/2024 | 10:16:42 PM | SUPPORT  | NVIDIA RTX GPU NOT INSTALLED"

Ah, OK. SO I think this is becuase it detected Virtual Desktop as my primary GPU card and Quest 3 as secondary... Interesting 🙂

Correct, App only pings DXGI for 2 devices, I have no way around that, I'll ask MS if there's a better way.

• Like 3

The Launcher use to tell you if there was a DCS update available within the slot. It doesn't do that now?

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

22 hours ago, DAZnBLAST said:

The Launcher use to tell you if there was a DCS update available within the slot. It doesn't do that now?

It should.

It pings ED's server directly for latest version.

It may have been broken when ED Removed OB from the server list, I fixed this internally already.

*ie if you look at the home screen under latest versions available, it's a bunch of random text from the updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com site

On 4/11/2024 at 6:44 PM, SkateZilla said:

Correct, App only pings DXGI for 2 devices, I have no way around that, I'll ask MS if there's a better way.

On 4/11/2024 at 4:12 PM, Blazkovitch said:

While waiting for MS, I tried to expand the DXGI WMI Get Video Controller call to more than 2 devices and it throws an exception, so I don't think it's possible.

I may look into another route.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

While waiting for MS, I tried to expand the DXGI WMI Get Video Controller call to more than 2 devices and it throws an exception, so I don't think it's possible.

I may look into another route.

I’m wondering if there’s a way to list devices in order, e.g. start with the one that is used to display the primary desktop. I have zero knowledge about the API though so… 🙂

2 hours ago, Blazkovitch said:

I’m wondering if there’s a way to list devices in order, e.g. start with the one that is used to display the primary desktop. I have zero knowledge about the API though so… 🙂

its the way windows prioritizes them, but the limit of only getting device info for 2 adapters is a WMI Limit for that category, I'm waiting to hear back from MS.

For example, my Desktop, shows the 6800XT as Primary, but when I remote login, it shows it as secondary, w/ Microsoft Remote Display Adapter as the Primary./

My laptop shows Intel as primary, RTX3060Ti as Secondary, but when I remote login, it doesn't show the 3rd adapter. so I see Microsoft Remote Display Adapter, then Intel as Secondary, and no RTX 3060Ti

Edited by SkateZilla

@SkateZilla Yes, I see it shows the info bottom right under "Latest Versions Available". It use to show "Update Available" inside the "Sim Build Slot#1" window. Now it doesn't.

It's no biggy, cos I can always just click update, but wanted to let you know.

Edited by DAZnBLAST

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

1 hour ago, DAZnBLAST said:

@SkateZilla Yes, I see it shows the info bottom right under "Latest Versions Available". It use to show "Update Available" inside the "Sim Build Slot#1" window. Now it doesn't.

It's no biggy, cos I can always just click update, but wanted to let you know.

Yup, it's fixed internally, as ED removed OB from their site, so the parser is parsing the wrong lines and reporting the wrong strings to compare.

• Like 2