2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

Noone had ever said anything about Linux support as also support for vulcan does not make DCS able to run on Linux.

[Edit] On negative side of vulcan. Think for a while about an effort which had been done by ED to re-unify the code streams. It took years untill 2.5 arrived. With Vulcan they'll open the same patch again - 2 code streams, splitting the dev effort on supporting current DX11 and creating a new Vulcan engine. The fact is also that there is no guarantee that we will actually benefit from Vulcan. As an example look on some other titles that are both DX11 and DX12 and provide zero (if not negative) performance boost when switching to DX12.

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Noone had ever said anything about Linux support as also support for vulcan does not make DCS able to run on Linux.

[Edit] On negative side of vulcan. Think for a while about an effort which had been done by ED to re-unify the code streams. It took years untill 2.5 arrived. With Vulcan they'll open the same patch again - 2 code streams, splitting the dev effort on supporting current DX11 and creating a new Vulcan engine. The fact is also that there is no guarantee that we will actually benefit from Vulcan. As an example look on some other titles that are both DX11 and DX12 and provide zero (if not negative) performance boost when switching to DX12.

Relevant point.

However, they could take the route of a transition to only Vulkan, with a potential goal to drop DX11 support completely, just as they've done with non-Deferred shading.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thank you for announcing the dates, ED :thumbup:.

No more speculation and hoping each Wednesday and Friday.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I’m not sure why, but this new launch trailer video really got me chocked up with emotion… had to fight against the misty eye. Not sure why, but I would imagine it has everything to do with fallback of everything I’ve always wanted in a military flight-sim. I remember the first days in the early 80’s flying on my IBM hoping that someday this technology would be available to vividly give us the impression of realism. Meeting Matt at E3 in 2001 with Lomac… I was confident we would get where we are today. Plus, that great music track didn’t help!

The next 2 Wednesdays are going be probably the most anticipated ever in the DCS series. Thanks ED for giving us dates to look forward to and I hope the community can understand that they could shift a tad bit also due to unforeseen issues.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Yup. But I'm sure ED will work very hard to meet those dates.

Most definitely! I am sure Matt will express some urgency to the staff if it came down to it also. He hates being burned by missed dates :) , thus the reason we have not had any until now.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Most definitely! I am sure Matt will express some urgency to the staff if it came down to it also. He hates being burned by missed dates :) , thus the reason we have not had any until now.

I am pretty sure, if they were confident to lay out a couple of dates this close, they are very confident they will meet those dates. I would even bet on it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

All I hope is to get SA-2 and SA-5 in 30 may patch too...

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Not to get off topic but:

Linux Support is not mentioned, DCS is still compiled on Visual Studio and using Microsoft Visual C Runtimes.

Because they took their DX11_0 Code, Ported to DX12_0 and didnt Re-Write the code to use DX12_0 Features, Instead it's a DX_11 Engine Running on DX_12 Libraries.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Because they took their DX11_0 Code, Ported to DX12_0 and didnt Re-Write the code to use DX12_0 Features, Instead it's a DX_11 Engine Running on DX_12 Libraries.

I wouldn't assume that in case of AAA titles like Bf1.

To get back on topic. Just watched the latest hornet video on ED channel... 5 times in a row. I'm speechless.... Amazing work :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Link that video here please?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I wouldn't assume that in case of AAA titles like Bf1.

To get back on topic. Just watched the latest hornet video on ED channel... 5 times in a row. I'm speechless.... Amazing work :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:thumbup:

Yeah me too, can't seem to get enough of that video.

What a great job they did with that!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not to get off topic but:

Linux Support is not mentioned, DCS is still compiled on Visual Studio and using Microsoft Visual C Runtimes.

Listen I want Vulkan so I can continue to use Win 7. I don't want my operating system to be

a virus tyvm.

Anything using DX12 is going to FORCE me to use Win 10. Vulkan ftw. Running it on Doom 2016 no prob.

On a more fun note the latest newsletter caused me to BUY BUY BUY F-18 + Persian Gulf.

I tried to pull my hand away from the confirm order button but I just couldn't gah !

Just too damn good to wait anymore. DCS is amazing !!! Can't believe my dream sim has

finally arrived. Ya there's gonna be bugs but I know we're on the home stretch. Yee Haww !!

Edited by Slap_Chop

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Just read on todays newsletter that ED and Belsimtek have now officially combined forces under the Eagle Dynamics banner. :thumbup:

A BIG congrats to both teams on this. It's great to see both combine forces and it proves without any doubt that ED have a great future and I for one can't wait to see how it unfolds.

It's going to be a wonderful ride...…….well done and congratulations to all involved. :beer:

PS...….Thanks for fixing my beloved Spitfire in the latest update, that tail wheel bug was causing chaos to my gut in VR! :)

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Totally agree. ED + Belsimtek is a match made in simulation heaven.

Too bad that these development times mean that we all will be quite a bit older before we see those modules released... sigh.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Weekend News

Not sure if its a typo, But as quoted:

Normandy 1944 Map for DCS World Update

Working with the Ugra Media, the developer or the Normandy map, we will be releasing a free update to this map in June. This map is the ideal battleground for our warbirds that focuses on northern France in the summer on 1944.

As i paid for the map im in no doubt i should get free updates :megalol:

Edit: Nice clip wing tho.

Edited by Coxy_99