Too few parking spaces at the airport.

Padonis

At many airports, the number of parking spaces is limited to 3-5 pcs. Is there any possibility of setting them freely, but not on the runway? Just as it can be done with helicopters or static objects.

An example is the Fujiyrah airport, only 5 parking spaces, there are more seats in the original. Such a small amount of parking spaces, it limits the possibilities of creating missions.

• ED Team

Probably reasonable to ask for a few more spots and I will mention it and see what ED says, but it is a public airport, not a military base, so its probably not the best for planning military missions out of it, or park a carrier near it for added support.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
During the war, all airports pass under the rule of the army. I create combat missions, not civil flights. :) Besides, I really like this map.

Plenty of places to launch planes from, more than you would ever need I think. Be creative. I will ask if a few more spots could be added though.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The problem concerns many other airports, not just those of large civilian ones. I'm just saying that this makes it difficult to create multi-player missions. Placing the aircraft carrier does not cause anything, especially in the case of aircraft such as Su-27, F-15.

Personally, I managed it somehow, the converted .lua file allows you to put more machines in any place. Unfortunately, it does not work on FC aircraft, but allows you to leave free parking spaces for these aircraft.

And which are military airports? I did not see one like that. Any shelters, bunkers, I did not see anything like that? Maybe I need to look more closely?

Edited by padonis

Probably reasonable to ask for a few more spots and I will mention it and see what ED says, but it is a public airport, not a military base, so its probably not the best for planning military missions out of it, or park a carrier near it for added support.

Is the team also aware that none of the Iranian airfields/bases/ports allow for larger aircraft such as C-130s and IL-76s to be parked at the ramp on start (and I imagine larger bombers such as the Tu-160/Tu-95 which I've not tested)? Is that going to be addressed as well? Bandar Abbas can accommodate 747s. It's kind of a deal breaker when Iran's airbases can't support cargo aircraft and strategic bombers thus limiting REDFOR options mission-editor wise...

I agree that there could be some more spots available at some civilian-oriented airfields but I also agree with you in that the primary focus should be on the military airbases (where military aircraft would obviously be kept, deployment to civilian airfields wouldn't be en masse).

They arent, guess it isnt a combat environment there right now. Or maybe those are armed commercial aircraft parked there.

Well I think it's silly to block any of the parking spots. In a war the spots would definitely not be used by civilian aircrafts. I think someone in ED have forgotten what this sim is about.

The problem concerns many other airports, not just those of large civilian ones. I'm just saying that this makes it difficult to create multi-player missions. Placing the aircraft carrier does not cause anything, especially in the case of aircraft such as Su-27, F-15.

Personally, I managed it somehow, the converted .lua file allows you to put more machines in any place. Unfortunately, it does not work on FC aircraft, but allows you to leave free parking spaces for these aircraft.

And which are military airports? I did not see one like that. Any shelters, bunkers, I did not see anything like that? Maybe I need to look more closely?

Don't take anything I say as gospel, as I'm going off memory here, but Al Minhad and Al Dhafra in the UAE are definitely military airbases - I'm not sure of any others, perhaps one of the islands closer to the UAE coast but that's just me speculating.

For Iran, the only one currently implemented that I know of for sure is Bandar Abbas which is a joint civil-military base (the military complex is the northern most area of Bandar Abbas International Airport). I also use Havadarya as an Iranian military base however I don't believe it is (or was) in reality.

In time we'll also see Shiraz and Kerman implemented (for Iran) but both are further north (of Bandar Abbas). Although information contained on a Wiki should be taken with a grain of salt, you can find useful information on Iranian military bases here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Republic_of_Iran_Air_Force#Facilities

Well I think it's silly to block any of the parking spots. In a war the spots would definitely not be used by civilian aircrafts. I think someone in ED have forgotten what this sim is about.

Unlike the Caucasus region, which I believe is modelled on the area at the height of the Cold War, the Persian Gulf is modelled quite closer to our current time and space. Therefore, like it or not, it makes sense that the lion's share of parking spaces go to the currently active military airbases in the region. For 'BLUFOR' that means Al Minhad and Al Dhafra airbases, for 'REDFOR' predominantly Bandar Abbas International Airport (which also doubles as a military airbase). Later we will see both Shiraz and Kerman being implemented (both are joint civil/military).

More space *could* be opened at some of the civilian airports (Fujiryah included) however, even in war-time, the lack of available resources, security and protection would mean that military deployments to civil airfields would not be large-scale. Certainly not to the scale you might see at bases such as Al Dhafra (which, as you can tell in-sim, is HUGE).

The advent of air-to-air refuelling means that any air operations taking place over areas, like Fujiryah, would mean that the aircraft would take off from Al Dhafra or Al Minhad, conduct their mission (such as CAP) and refuel as required before end of mission and returning to base.

Unlike the Caucasus region, which I believe is modelled on the area at the height of the Cold War, the Persian Gulf is modelled quite closer to our current time and space. Therefore, like it or not, it makes sense that the lion's share of parking spaces go to the currently active military airbases in the region. For 'BLUFOR' that means Al Minhad and Al Dhafra airbases, for 'REDFOR' predominantly Bandar Abbas International Airport (which also doubles as a military airbase). Later we will see both Shiraz and Kerman being implemented (both are joint civil/military).

More space *could* be opened at some of the civilian airports (Fujiryah included) however, even in war-time, the lack of available resources, security and protection would mean that military deployments to civil airfields would not be large-scale. Certainly not to the scale you might see at bases such as Al Dhafra (which, as you can tell in-sim, is HUGE).

The advent of air-to-air refuelling means that any air operations taking place over areas, like Fujiryah, would mean that the aircraft would take off from Al Dhafra or Al Minhad, conduct their mission (such as CAP) and refuel as required before end of mission and returning to base.

So you think civilian airliners will land and take off from any of these airports if there is a full sized war with Iran? I'm sorry but then you don't know much about war.

So you think civilian airliners will land and take off from any of these airports if there is a full sized war with Iran? I'm sorry but then you don't know much about war.

Let me break it down for you, Sun Tzu.

1. Pre-MH17, probably. Post MH-17, less likely but airline operations are governed by their CEO and board of directors. Local airlines would likely still operate. International ones probably not so much. Airlines would take advice from the appropriate authorities whilst also attempt to meet customer expectations. If the monetary reward outweighs the risk, someone will fly there.

2. Fujairah (the area of concern for the OP) is not a military airbase. It's a civilian passenger terminal. It does not possess a dedicated taxiway, meaning aircraft need to taxi down the runway and turn around (at either end) to take off. Fujairah is of importance, strategically, due to its oil storage facility however unless Iran truly wanted to piss off the majority of South East Asia (and by extension their allies) such wanton destruction is not likely. If Iran put on some big-boy pants and wanted to go to war by itself, pissing off a quarter of the world (not including allies) would not end well for Iran long-term.

Even if ED decided to pull the 5 static aircraft in Fujairah, there's a maximum of 7 extra spaces (as estimated by me) at Fujairah. 10, maybe 11, if you include the offshoot ramp area west of the main gates. The downside to that is a) that means 14+ human players need to try and workout who's taxiing/landing/taking off from a single runway, b) even a coordinated player effort means that aircraft are stuck waiting for those before them to take off/taxi/land before they can do the same.

Like I said, the focus of this map is on the ACTUAL MILITARY bases, not the POTENTIALLY COMMANDEERED IN TIMES OF WAR airbases.

3. I don't profess to know how to prosecute an air war, but ED were kind enough to model the buildings I stayed in at one of the UAE airbases during part of my time in that region. So while my knowledge of war doesn't extend to how to fight a war in the air in reality, my knowledge, and educated guesses, come from personal experience in the region in question.

What are your credentials on the knowledge of war, sunshine?

I agree that the bases are limited, but I'd rather them be this way than unrealistic. The only change I could see them making (and it really would be welcomed by mission creators and MP servers) is to change the spawn in system itself for MP. Instead of assigning each spot for the potential of only one aircraft type, they really should allow any aircraft type (allotted to that particular base by the mission designer) to spawn in any free slot at the airport. That way. An airport with 4 parking spaces could handle a flight of 4 F15s one minute, and a flight of 4 F18s the next, without having to recreate the mission in the editor. Also for servers with base capture mechanics, it literally cripples the airport. Now only 2 each blue/red can fly there? Which 2 airplanes would you assign?