SSAA unuseable

Title says it all. With SSAA set to 1.5, performance is reduced a phenomenal 50%, and image quality is horribly jagged. With SSAA set to 2, performance is unplayable and image quality just a little better.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

I use MSAA 2X on 1440p monitor.

Tried SSAA 1.5X instead of MSAA, but with a huge fps loss and worse image quality.

I5-7600K@4,8Ghz - G Skill TridentZ 16Gb 3200 CL14 - Aorus GTX 1080TI - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 - Lenovo 24'' 1440p - Hotas Warthog - TrackIR 5

DCS 2.5 OB - M2000C - Mig21Bis - A10C - FC3 - AJS37 Viggen - F5E - AV8B N/A - F/A18 C - L 39 Albatros - Bf109 - Spitfire - P51D - Black Shark 2 - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Normandy

Where there is the most need to use the smoothing of the jaggeds is the cockpit, unfortunately the method of SSAA gives the minimum effect with a huge loss of performance!

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

I imagine thats why its made an appearance in the Open Beta so it can be tweaked and optimised

I used it for some screenshots and managed FPS in the high 80's so it does work and obviously your rig is slightly better than mine @davidzill

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Title says it all. With SSAA set to 1.5, performance is reduced a phenomenal 50%, and image quality is horribly jagged. With SSAA set to 2, performance is unplayable and image quality just a little better.

You would expect a massive performance loss. Its quite literally breaking your image up into 1.5 or 2x the pixels and then applying AA and rendering back into the original resolution.

Gave 1.5 a try in NTTR and PG...

I have a mid-grade to maybe a hair below mid-grade rig where I usually get 45-55 FPS with 4X ASF and MSAA OFF.

NTTR: Minimal FPS Hit with a slight quality improvement

PG: Minimal FPS Hit with a noticeable improvement in quality BUT there is a rendering oddity when out over the water. There is a solid line running perpendicular to your line of flight that passes just about through where your body is in the cockpit (A-10C) with water in front of that line showing lower quality than water that's in your view behind that line.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

That is strange, my fps were ~50fps with the Ka50-FreeFlight, WQHD, maxed out settings and MSAA4x.

With SSAA1.5x it went to 70-75fps same spot on map, MUCH BETTER glimmer, actually non existent with Extreme Visibility. Very very nice, a good balance indeed.

SSAA2x is overkill, 25-28fps with superb graphics....meh...maybe the next GTX or Vulkan will make this usable.

Overall, I love SSAA1.5x, it's the right sweetspot between LOD, clearness and performance for my needs, YMMV.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

For me SSAA at 1.5 or first stage gave me 10 - 15 fps more compared to MSAA set to 4x.

For my aged R9 280X this is a plus about 50%.

And it does look way better than MSAA. The MFDs are much better to read an text is crisp sharp.

Quite weird the performance of SSAA is so different...

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

SSAA is Supersampling.

Think of it this way - if you're running 1080p, and have a video card that is more than what's required to power a 1080p monitor, SSAA is a good option.

If you're already running at a higher resolution that is close to or already maxing out your GPU.. SSAA is going to give worse performance.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

SSAA is Supersampling.

Think of it this way - if you're running 1080p, and have a video card that is more than what's required to power a 1080p monitor, SSAA is a good option.

If you're already running at a higher resolution that is close to or already maxing out your GPU.. SSAA is going to give worse performance.

yep

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

yep

Nope.

I clearly have a rig that can run DCS in higher resolutions and I'm normally between 40-60% card utilization. If I turn on SSAA at all it's constant jitters, <20fps, and no noticeable improvement of image quality.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Nope.

I clearly have a rig that can run DCS in higher resolutions and I'm normally between 40-60% card utilization. If I turn on SSAA at all it's constant jitters, <20fps, and no noticeable improvement of image quality.

that doesn't sound contrary to what i said... im at 4k.. SMAA is not practical... which is what Headwarp was saying... we concur that it is practical for lower resolution monitors where the GPU can handle super sampling a lower resolution.. it is not practical to super sample high resolution because no current gpu can do that effectively... so, that it what is meant by yep..

Edited by DflippinK

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

that doesn't sound contrary to what i said... im at 4k.. SMAA is not practical... which is what Headwarp was saying... we concur that it is practical for lower resolution monitors where the GPU can handle super sampling a lower resolution.. it is not practical to super sample high resolution because no current gpu can do that effectively... so, that it what is meant by yep..

Yes, but I accidentally left out that I'm on a ten year old 1080p monitor. According to the above logic SSAA should be perfect for me, but it's not. It literally makes DCS unplayable. I've never seen a bigger more consistent performance hit from any other settings option.

Edit: I mean, it's nbd. I just turn it back off, msaa back on, and I'm back in business. If ED decides to force SSAA then we're going to have a problem.

Edited by SonofEil

If You understand was SSAA is, then You'd know, Not to use SSAA on anything above 1080p.

Especially On a 4K Screen.

SSAA Is Super Sampling

So:

3840x2160 x 1.5x = 5760x3240

3840x2160 x 2.0x = 7680x4320

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If You understand was SSAA is, then You'd know, Not to use SSAA on anything above 1080p.

1) Ok, the reason you're seeing all the comments is because people don't understand what SSAA is or how to use it, and ED hasn't provided a lick of guidance or explanation . A lot of us are basically getting what we can from wikipedia and anonymous 'forum experts', which of course is often contradictory or just plain wrong. Not everyone here is a software developer nor should they have to be to enjoy the sim.

2) After some testing I discovered that it wasn't working for me because I'd forgotten to turn MSAA off. 2xSSAA + 4xMSAA = No Workie. Mea culpa.

3) As expected, I still get noticeably better performance with MSAA. With SSAA on, flying over Dubai turns into a stuttery mess. The sea floor also doesn't render properly. Areas of the sea floor show up as weird geometric patters that seem to be tied to cockpit shadows, in other areas the sea floor isn't visible at all. I'll try to provide some screenshots in a little while.

4) If SSAA is only for lower res monitors, takes a huge amount of resources, negatively impacts performance, and provides negligible graphical improvement over the alternatives...what on earth is it for and why has it now been implemented in DCS?

Especially On a 4K Screen.

SSAA Is Super Sampling

So:

3840x2160 x 1.5x = 5760x3240

3840x2160 x 2.0x = 7680x4320

It actually does show good results at WQHD too. The quality it delivers is by far superior to MSAA4x with only 1.5x.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

SSAA is Supersampling.

I've got a 1050ti and a 1080 monitor, does this fit with my situation ? I'm not losing any frames I don't know if i'm gaining frames like the guy above with the similar AMD, but i'm getting better visuals with no performance drop.

I've got a 1050ti and a 1080 monitor, does this fit with my situation ? I'm not losing any frames I don't know if i'm gaining frames like the guy above with the similar AMD, but i'm getting better visuals with no performance drop.

sounds good to me... at 1080p your gpu can apparently handle the task and provide better image quality!!.. happy to hear about a 1050ti getting good results too.

It actually does show good results at WQHD too. The quality it delivers is by far superior to MSAA4x with only 1.5x.

I agree,

SSAA 1,5 on a 1440p monitor , i7 7700k, 32gb ram, 1080ti, all maxed out, superb quality :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

It would also help if ED and NVIDIA worked together on an official updated NVIDIA profile so MSAA/SSAA worked effectively with shimmering and jagged edges, The Profile listed with NVIDIA drivers Digital Combat Simulator Black Shark is a dinosaur and needs attention to bring it into the 21st century,....

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

It would also help if ED and NVIDIA worked together on an official updated NVIDIA profile so MSAA/SSAA worked effectively with shimmering and jagged edges, The Profile listed with NVIDIA drivers Digital Combat Simulator Black Shark is a dinosaur and needs attention to bring it into the 21st century,....

Amen

Amen

Don't always think only at Nvidia, there are also AMD graphics cards and soon also some from Intel.

This has to go well everywhere.

Simpit Software by SDA "SIMPIT DEVELOPER ASSOCIATION"

• DCS ExportScript
  • D.A.C. DCS to Arcaze Communicator
  • Ikarus a new Virtual Cockpit Software

Deutscher Forums Thread

English Forums Thread

Hard/Software: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB RAM, extra SSD for Windows 10 and DCS World, AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16 GiB VRAM

Don't always think only at Nvidia, there are also AMD graphics cards and soon also some from Intel.

This has to go well everywhere.

Yes but regardless of which product you use, the normal etiquette is for game developers who release a game/upgrade graphics engines etc, normally have no hesitations in creating a profile in cooperation with GPU designers ie NVIDIA/AMD/Intel etc, and keep it updated as the graphics engine/hardware evolves.

The amount of $$ we invest in a Simulation like DCS and not too mention GPU hardware we buy, i think its fair for us as end user customers to expect and get a working profile much like a another flight simulation i use provides, we end users fought for 2 years with that developer and sent thousands of feed back requests and open letters, heck we even spammed the Geforce Experience feed back tab for months, posting on Nvidia forums and the developers forums as well!

End result was an updated profile and ongoing updates by NVIDIA as that sim evolves.

:pilotfly:

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL