F-15E? - Page 133 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #1321
Rainmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk66 View Post
It's true that in the F-15E the pilot can do most of the A/A and A/G actions without the WSO (not RIO, please!); at the same time the WSO can equally do most of the A/A actions (and fly the jet, too, of course). But the HOTAS and some controls mean that the pilot's controls are optimized for A/A, while the WSOs for A/G. There are some very specialized functions (mainly A/G) that are uniquely available in the pit.

But if before takeoff the pilot reaches into the rear cockpit and turns on the tpod, laser, TEWS, and CMD, then he can do pretty much all by himself. But it gets real busy!

Seriously, there are so many sensors, radios, datalink, and weapons that a two-man crew is essential to really use the jet.

And yes, I know this from many years of direct hands-on experience.

Oh, by the way, those videos are really, really old!

Cheers,

Kirk

I can go down a list of reasons why you can’t just “reach in the back seat” and turn a few switches before climbing in the front and have everything work but 99.8% of folks won’t have the first clue what I’m talking about.

In short...it isn’t that easy.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:38 PM   #1322
Roger_Balls

Quote:
It's true that in the F-15E the pilot can do most of the A/A and A/G actions without the WSO (not RIO, please!); at the same time the WSO can equally do most of the A/A actions (and fly the jet, too, of course). But the HOTAS and some controls mean that the pilot's controls are optimized for A/A, while the WSOs for A/G. There are some very specialized functions (mainly A/G) that are uniquely available in the pit.

But if before takeoff the pilot reaches into the rear cockpit and turns on the tpod, laser, TEWS, and CMD, then he can do pretty much all by himself. But it gets real busy!

Seriously, there are so many sensors, radios, datalink, and weapons that a two-man crew is essential to really use the jet.

And yes, I know this from many years of direct hands-on experience.

Oh, by the way, those videos are really, really old!

Cheers,

Kirk

Laughs in F-18
Roger_Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #1323
Kirk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I can go down a list of reasons why you can’t just “reach in the back seat” and turn a few switches before climbing in the front and have everything work but 99.8% of folks won’t have the first clue what I’m talking about.

In short...it isn’t that easy.
Operationally, yes (not smart to arm the laser or CMD on ground, for example) but physically? No problem at all, you would have to secure the seat and set the command ejection to pilot only, but besides that it's easy. I do it all the time while testing in full up F-15E simulators - don't need no stinkin' WSO!

Same with operating the rear cockpit functions; once airborne (gear up, etc), easy setup the pilot stuff (master mode and master arm, mainly) then jump in the back and do the rest of the mission/testing.

Then there is "pilot catches a canadian goose in the face" scenario: blow down the gear and land from the pit, using the hook and emergency brakes to stop. Easy.

The jet really doesn't care.

Would you go to war that way? Only if you had run out of WSOs!

Kirk
Kirk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #1324
Rainmaker

Quote:
Operationally, yes (not smart to arm the laser or CMD on ground, for example) but physically? No problem at all, you would have to secure the seat and set the command ejection to pilot only, but besides that it's easy. I do it all the time while testing in full up F-15E simulators - don't need no stinkin' WSO!

Same with operating the rear cockpit functions; once airborne (gear up, etc), easy setup the pilot stuff (master mode and master arm, mainly) then jump in the back and do the rest of the mission/testing.

Then there is "pilot catches a canadian goose in the face" scenario: blow down the gear and land from the pit, using the hook and emergency brakes to stop. Easy.

The jet really doesn't care.

Would you go to war that way? Only if you had run out of WSOs!

Kirk

Then the sim doesn’t mirror reality. Good luck skipping STBY on the pod, ICMS, etc. chances are slim of powering up generators and having the jet interface correctly. Recipe for disaster and a lot of failed/starred items on the bit page. Ever seen a real pod fire up without EGI/INS? I have. Doesn’t work out well. It may work in a ‘sim’, it’s not necessarily true to real life. The ‘sim’ jet may not care, the real one does.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #1325
nessuno0505

A such complex module as the strike eagle, made by razbam, would mean we'll see it finished for the 2030 (maybe). Nothing against razbam, their modules are good, but they are a too small development group to fulfill such an overwhelming task. I'd prefer they do something else (av-8b plus and sea harrier, for example) and leave f-15e to ED.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #1326
F900EX

Big dreams, not enough pie....
F900EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #1327
Harlikwin
Veteran

From the sound of it ED might have some sort of generic multicrew solution like jester (maybe licensed jester?) in the works for the Hind and F4. Hopefully that is something 3rd party devs can use.

Also I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see them change to a F15C...
Old 10-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #1328
AeriaGloria

They said it’s licensed, it’s their own. One of their screenshots they shared consisted of the AI forgot where it is. I think it showed being able to command certain speeds and headings, would be better then no back seater
AeriaGloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #1329
falcon_120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
From the sound of it ED might have some sort of generic multicrew solution like jester (maybe licensed jester?) in the works for the Hind and F4. Hopefully that is something 3rd party devs can use.

Also I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see them change to a F15C...
I'd really love an F15C from ED. We would get the holy trinity: hornet, viper, eagle.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
falcon_120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #1330
Eaglewings

Oh yeah, it would be great to have those three favorites of mine (Hornet, Falcon and Eagle) adequately represented in dcs.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote