MiG-19P Navigation: The ARK-5 ADF - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 01:28 AM   #1
Zeus67
3rd Party Developer

Default MiG-19P Navigation: The ARK-5 ADF

The ARK-5 Automatic Direction Finder (ADF) is an electronic aid to navigation that identifies relative bearing of the aircraft from a Non-Directional Beacon (NDB), a radio beacon transmitting in the MF or LF bandwith.

It consists for two antennas, a fixed one and a loop one. The loop antenna is rotated electronically to determine the direction of maximum reception from the beacon relative to the aircraft direction.

The ARK-5 is electronically connected to the GIK-1 Navigation Instrument’s thin needle which will rotate to indicate relative bearing to the tuned NDB station.

The ARK-5 has two frequencies memories, called FAR and NEAR. These frequencies can be automatically recalled by clicking on their control switch, located on the upper left bulkhead, below the frontal canopy frame.

Controls
The ARK-5 has the following controls:
1. A FAR/NEAR frequency selector switch. On the upper left bulkhead, below the frontal canopy frame.
2. Frequency Range Selector for the NEAR frequency. On the left bulkhead, near the Throttle Quadrant.
3. The main ARK-5 Control Panel on the right bulkhead:
a. Frequency Range Selector for the FAR/NDB frequency for navigation or approach.
b. Frequency fine tuning handle.
c. Operational Mode Selector.
d. Loop antenna control.
e. Signal Strength Gauge.
f. Telephony/Telegraphy Receiver Mode Selector.
g. Backlight intensity control.
h. Volume control.
i. NDB Ident code audio output, located in the RSIU-4V radio control panel.
Modes of Operation
The ARK-5 has four modes of operation:
• OFF: The ARK-5 is disconnected and non-operational.
• COMP (COMPASS): The ARK-5 is tuned to a frequency and the GIK-1 ADF needle will show relative bearing to the NDB station.
• ANT (ANTENNA): The ARK-5 frequency can be changed to a different one. The GIK-1 ADF needle will freeze until the ARK-5 is placed in COMP mode again.
• LOOP: In this mode, the loop antenna is in manual mode. The pilot will rotate it by using the LOOP spring switch. The GIK-1 ADF needle will show the current antenna direction.

How to operate
a) Set the ARK-5 mode to ANT.
b) Select the frequency memory that will be used, FAR or NEAR, by clicking on the frequency selector switch.
c) Select the desired frequency range by using the appropriate Frequency Range Selector. NEAR selector is in the left bulkhead, FAR selector is in the ARK-5 control panel.
d) Move the fine-tuning handle until the desired frequency is tuned.
e) Check the signal strength gauge.
f) Set the ARK-5 mode back to COMP. The GIK-1 ADF needle will start indicating bearing to the NDB station.

How to use the ARK-5 for NDB navigation
a) Select a frequency memory: FAR or NEAR.
NOTE: FOR NAVIGATION SELECTION OF THE FAR/NEAR SWITCH POSITION IS IRRELEVANT
b) Set the ARK-5 to ANT.
c) Tune to the selected NDB by following the How to Operate instructions.
d) Set the ARK-5 to COMP.
e) Use the GIK-1 ADF needle as required.

How to use the ARK-5 for Low Visibility Landings
The selected airport should have at least one marker station. It works better if it has two: Outer and Inner Marker stations.
a) Select the ARK-5 to ANT
b) Select the FAR frequency memory.
c) Tune to the airport’s OUTER MARKER station frequency by following the How to Operate instructions.
d) Check the gauge to confirm that you are receiving a signal.
e) Select the NEAR frequency memory.
f) Tune to the airport’s INNER MARKER station frequency by following the How to Operate instructions.
g) Check the gauge to confirm that you are receiving a signal.
h) Select the FAR frequency memory.
i) Set the ARK-5 to COMP.
j) Maneuver the aircraft until the GIK-1 ADF needle is centered.
k) Select the NEAR frequency memory.
l) Maneuver the aircraft until the GIK-1 ADF needle is centered.
m) Toggle between FAR and NEAR to confirm that for both frequencies the GIK-1 ADF needle is centered.

NOTE: When the GIK-1 ADF needle is centered in both FAR and NEAR, you are aligned with the airport’s runway.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Last edited by Zeus67; 02-07-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Zeus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 AM   #2
Rudel_chw
Veteran

I love to learn the system’s of the aircraft. I’m currently re-learning the Mig-15 while waiting for this module’s release, as I’m curious to experience first hand all the changes between fighter generations
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
gulredrel

Hello Zeus67,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus67 View Post
The ARK-5 has two frequencies memories, called FAR and NEAR. These frequencies can be automatically recalled by clicking on their control switch, located on the upper left bulkhead, below the frontal canopy frame.
Just to be sure and as I'm not old enough to have real world experience in MiG-15 or MiG-19, I only can compare to the MiG-15 in DCS.

Are these the same instruments?

As of your description it sounds to me, that MiG-19 ARK-5 stores frequencies (selected by tuning crank handle) to the corresponding frequ. range (selected for NEAR on the left wll and FAR on the ARK-5 main control device right wall) in the FAR/NEAR positions.

In MiG-15, the FAR/NEAR switch will only change frequ. range and not the tuned frequ. So for this FAR/NEAR switching from OM to IM the tuning crank has to be in the same position. This works only for a couple of airfields in Caucasus map. I think it's Anapa (OM 443, IM 215) and Beslan(1050 OM 250 IM). So in FAR position ARK-5 control is runted to OM, for the NEAR position, on of the three switches in the left cockpit wall is set so the requency range of the IM. Switching to NEAR, the frequency range scale snaps to the bandwith selected for the IM. The tuning crank handle will stay where it is.

Thanks for further clarification.

Regards
Jens
gulredrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Zeus67
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulredrel View Post
Hello Zeus67,

Just to be sure and as I'm not old enough to have real world experience in MiG-15 or MiG-19, I only can compare to the MiG-15 in DCS.

Are these the same instruments?

As of your description it sounds to me, that MiG-19 ARK-5 stores frequencies (selected by tuning crank handle) to the corresponding frequ. range (selected for NEAR on the left wll and FAR on the ARK-5 main control device right wall) in the FAR/NEAR positions.

In MiG-15, the FAR/NEAR switch will only change frequ. range and not the tuned frequ. So for this FAR/NEAR switching from OM to IM the tuning crank has to be in the same position. This works only for a couple of airfields in Caucasus map. I think it's Anapa (OM 443, IM 215) and Beslan(1050 OM 250 IM). So in FAR position ARK-5 control is runted to OM, for the NEAR position, on of the three switches in the left cockpit wall is set so the requency range of the IM. Switching to NEAR, the frequency range scale snaps to the bandwith selected for the IM. The tuning crank handle will stay where it is.

Thanks for further clarification.

Regards
Jens
Yes, we are aware of the problem with Caucasus map and ARK-5 physical limitations. That is the reason why we implemented the ARK-5 FAR/NEAR function this way. We believe that it is better to maintain the functionality, in this case the ability to use two different stations as a landing aid, over the real life limitation.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."
Old 02-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
gulredrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus67 View Post
Yes, we are aware of the problem with Caucasus map and ARK-5 physical limitations. That is the reason why we implemented the ARK-5 FAR/NEAR function this way. We believe that it is better to maintain the functionality, in this case the ability to use two different stations as a landing aid, over the real life limitation.
Mmmhh... hard decision.
On the one hand simulating things should be as near as possible to reality but can cut corners, on the other hand we live with the map data right now.

We only have some RSBN/PRMG stations for the L-39, we can only use the ARK-5 FAR/NEAR in MiG-15 with a limited number of airfields. For all other airfields it works with the outer marker quite good.
As fan of the MiG-Series fighters, it'll be a question of acquaintance with the same system modelled differently.

So I guess there are no guidelines coming from ED for developers how to integrate systems in there modules compared to how they are modelled in existing systems.

Regards
Jens
gulredrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Schmidtfire

DCS is not reality. Very, very far from it actually

While I don't like cut corners, this is one of those special occasions when "close enough"
is good enough. Just like the RWR and other sensitive and classified systems are handled within DCS, this is also one of those "more important to keep functionality items". It does what it is supposed to. Age of map should not be a limiting factor useing this aircraft mainly flown in the 1960's. Im with Zeus67 on this one.

Maybe add as a special option for the real hardcore simmers, but I think that this is a good decision for most of DCS MiG-19P flyers.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
Zeus67
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire View Post
DCS is not reality. Very, very far from it actually

While I don't like cut corners, this is one of those special occasions when "close enough"
is good enough. Just like the RWR and other sensitive and classified systems are handled within DCS, this is also one of those "more important to keep functionality items". It does what it is supposed to. Age of map should not be a limiting factor useing this aircraft mainly flown in the 1960's. Im with Zeus67 on this one.

Maybe add as a special option for the real hardcore simmers, but I think that this is a good decision for most of DCS MiG-19P flyers.
No need for a special option. If you want hardcore, all you have to do is set the frequency range and do not move the fine tuning handle when using NEAR.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
Zeus67
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulredrel View Post
Mmmhh... hard decision.
On the one hand simulating things should be as near as possible to reality but can cut corners, on the other hand we live with the map data right now.

We only have some RSBN/PRMG stations for the L-39, we can only use the ARK-5 FAR/NEAR in MiG-15 with a limited number of airfields. For all other airfields it works with the outer marker quite good.
As fan of the MiG-Series fighters, it'll be a question of acquaintance with the same system modelled differently.

So I guess there are no guidelines coming from ED for developers how to integrate systems in there modules compared to how they are modelled in existing systems.

Regards
Jens
Well, the real problem is the time interval between when the system was used to present day. In this case it is nearly 50 years. Now those airports have ILS, TACAN and VORTACs for navigation and landing aid. The days of the ADF are long past, to the point that modern aircraft do not even include the system anymore.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #9
Tarres

Yes. It’s the same instrument.
Must work as the 15bis.
Tarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
foxbat155

I personally think, that is better implement ARK-5 like was in reality, i'm sure that users will able deal with any ARK's limitations without any problems. We are here for flying not for judging and improving the past.
foxbat155 is offline   Reply With Quote