G940 - Force Feedback - discussion

fred41

6 hours ago, Drakoz said:

Never heard of disabling core isolation.  I'll check that on my system. If this is a Windows 11 vs. 10 issue, this might be important to know.  I have several joysticks, but for helicopters I hate flying without FFB.  Very glad to hear you got it working.

It causes all kinds of issues with older software for some reason, and it also eats into your performance too though it's not so bad.  It is in Win 10 but disabled by default and is in Win 11 and on by default unless you upgraded your Win 11 from Win 10 in which case it stays off for some reason.

If I wasn't so stupid it would have occurred to me to disable it sooner, rather than needing to be prompted, but I got there in the end.

Windows 11 is actually quite a compatability nightmare.  For example if games aren't on an up to date enough runtime (I can't remember the specifics) Win 11 just flat out won't launch them, Motorsport Manager being one of the games I own that has this problem.  Except for some Win 11 users if they completely unplug the PC from the internet it will allow them to launch the game and for some it won't (it won't for me).  So you have to edit a bunch of things in your registry to disable the check for these runtimes, but then that causes newer programs to break.  Because of all this, if you aren't using a 12th gen intel it's just an objectively bad idea to use Win 11.

• 1 year later...

Soo, I have a G940 at home and a G27. With Logitech not updating their drivers and the Core Isolation issues, I do not like them to be paperweights and for me they are good ennough.

What I noticed is people developing their own FFB Joystics and the simplicity of the G940's design. 

Before I go off and develop a board with an ESP32, Looking at @fred41 and others here, would you argue it is feasable to modifiy the firmware and use the current board to run it with for instance the rhino software?

• Like 1

In my opinion, the G940 not only has problems with the drivers but also the hardware isn't up to what we expect these days.

If you are looking at building your own, have you seen the VPForce Rhino? The Rhino itself might be overkill for your application, but it could be a good starting point (the board and drivers at the very least).

• Like 1

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2023 at 5:27 AM, TORC said:

In my opinion, the G940 not only has problems with the drivers but also the hardware isn't up to what we expect these days.

If you are looking at building your own, have you seen the VPForce Rhino? The Rhino itself might be overkill for your application, but it could be a good starting point (the board and drivers at the very least).

I'm still going to try, 

Yes I'd love a VPForce Rhino, and am following that with intrest, however sinking 1k into something I do not use that often seems a bit of a waste... If you ever have flown in real life you know nothing beats the real thing, so for me the g940 does the job sufficient, and I hate ewaste.

I did also find these clues in reddit however the guy behind it and the firmwares seem to be gone so: https://www.reddit.com/r/ReverseEngineering/comments/21kgtc/comment/cgh6lmc/

I found someone on github that reverse engineered the g27 which uses a surprising lot of amount of the same components, so I bet the g940 is very similair. Not only will this likely keep the G940 useable but also the G27. 

image.png?ex=65a69d14&is=65942814&hm=0a3

• Like 2