DLC Map Vietnam with speedtree

boedha68

Now we have speedtree coming to DCS 2.5. I think vietnam would be the bomb for a dreamenvirement never been seen on a PC before, cause the tools who ED have now, too create this magnificent area. It would be an evolvement to the next step! in my opinion.

I know much, much work, but the efforts will spectacular after hard work!

Maybe make assets to make mapmaking easier!

But dropping "Little boy" at the end of a WW2 campaign, would be a fantasy. :D

Well a dream is a dream....:D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

We all want it... and this comes up all the time, but the map would have to be huge because a huge contingent of the runs were made from Thailand.

Something like at least this big.

78729-004-5F1F00C3.gif

I fear someone building it with just a small portion of the map done. That would suck.

I actually LIVE in Hà Nội, so... I’m sure there will be a LOT of local virtual pilots who would liKe this, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiG-21, upcoming MiG-19, upcoming F-4, community A-4 and A-1, farther out A-6, and maybe someone could make the F-105.

That would be a lot of fun, but we'd be looking at a 5 year plus timetable for a decent, all encompassing Vietnam War scenario.

As for the map, Caucasus is around 400x200 nautical miles (740x370 kilometers), and Nevada is around 250x200 nautical miles (460x370 kilometers). To fully encompass the air war over Vietnam, the map would need to be 500x500 nautical miles, and would really only cover the northern part of South Vietnam, all of North Vietnam, and enough of Thailand as to cover the airfields used. I think. I'm really going by memory as to airfield locations. This puts it into the "largest map yet made" territory, and by over double.

I know ED isn't going to release mapping tools to the public, but I know there are a lot of great mappers out there who would be happy to contribute to a Vietnam map. Crowsourcing then? Vietnam would be a ton of work.

Mr. Bad Idea Hat, don't forget the OV-1 Mohawk, OV-10 Bronco, F-8 Crusader, A-7 Corsair II,

F-111 Aardvark, and the T-37 Tweet. All of them saw action too and would be fun to play with. Starway already had the Green Thunder terrain for 1.5 which gives a good idea of what could be done with the textures...

Am I the only one craving a RA-5C so I can do reconnaissance runs in downtown Vietnam? Basically, it was a cold war nuclear strike bomber turned reconnaissance aircraft which was the intelligence workhorse of the vietnam war. The main capabilities of the RA-5C are:

• Top speed over Mach 2
  • Conventional and nuclear strike capability
  • Multi-mode ground radar for bombing
  • Side-facing radars for reconnaissance
  • Front, downward, and side-facing cameras
  • Passive ELINT recording equipment capable of pinpointing enemy radar locations and pulse types
  • Able to buddy refuel other aircraft using drouge and hose
  • Terrain following radar for low altitude missions
  • Radar assisted inertial navigation system
  • Extremely innovative state-of-the-art equipment for its time
  • Carrier takeoffs and landings

We’d get our first bomber, tanker, and reconnaissance aircraft in one package!

Also, she's a beauty, isn't she? :thumbup:

zoom-148925%20RA-5C%2001JAN68%20RVAH-12%20NG-605%20China%20Lake%20HC-900025.jpg

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

MiG-21, upcoming MiG-19, upcoming F-4, community A-4 and A-1, farther out A-6, and maybe someone could make the F-105.

That would be a lot of fun, but we'd be looking at a 5 year plus timetable for a decent, all encompassing Vietnam War scenario.

As for the map, Caucasus is around 400x200 nautical miles (740x370 kilometers), and Nevada is around 250x200 nautical miles (460x370 kilometers). To fully encompass the air war over Vietnam, the map would need to be 500x500 nautical miles, and would really only cover the northern part of South Vietnam, all of North Vietnam, and enough of Thailand as to cover the airfields used. I think. I'm really going by memory as to airfield locations. This puts it into the "largest map yet made" territory, and by over double.

I know ED isn't going to release mapping tools to the public, but I know there are a lot of great mappers out there who would be happy to contribute to a Vietnam map. Crowsourcing then? Vietnam would be a ton of work.

except none of those variants of those specific aircraft that are in DCS saw used the Vietnam war. BST F4E Is a late 70s/ early 80s mod. Mig19 in development is the Mig19P with short ranged radar and K13 IR missiles, not a J6. Planned A6 may also be a post nam variant.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

except none of those variants of those specific aircraft that are in DCS saw used the Vietnam war. BST F4E Is a late 70s/ early 80s mod. Mig19 in development is the Mig19P with short ranged radar and K13 IR missiles, not a J6. Planned A6 may also be a post nam variant.

An MP mission designer could limit some/all of those by limiting weapons on their mission. Yeah, avionics would be out of place a bit, but I don't think anyone's going to complain a ton about that.

If we really want to be more realistic, the American side gets crappy AWACS, and the North gets a great EWR/GCI system.

+1 for Vietnam scenario in DCS

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

A post I did about this nearly a year ago I found a great map repository for it.=)

These maps are great though it will take a helluva lot of time to make a DCS map out of them, if some of the digitization process can't be automated.

Also, WHOGX5: I dream of an RA-5C too ;)

The only CON I can think of is that it was only in service for 17 years. (1963 - 1980) - which is a bit short.

But hey! I don't care. It looks amazing, and it was probably taken out of service because of costs, and we don't care about that in DCS ;)

//Jarl

Edited by Jarlerus

Am I the only one craving a RA-5C so I can do reconnaissance runs in downtown Vietnam? Basically, it was a cold war nuclear strike bomber turned reconnaissance aircraft which was the intelligence workhorse of the vietnam war. The main capabilities of the RA-5C are:

• Top speed over Mach 2
  • Conventional and nuclear strike capability
  • Multi-mode ground radar for bombing
  • Side-facing radars for reconnaissance
  • Front, downward, and side-facing cameras
  • Passive ELINT recording equipment capable of pinpointing enemy radar locations and pulse types
  • Able to buddy refuel other aircraft using drouge and hose
  • Terrain following radar for low altitude missions
  • Radar assisted inertial navigation system
  • Extremely innovative state-of-the-art equipment for its time
  • Carrier takeoffs and landings

We’d get our first bomber, tanker, and reconnaissance aircraft in one package!

Also, she's a beauty, isn't she? :thumbup:

zoom-148925%20RA-5C%2001JAN68%20RVAH-12%20NG-605%20China%20Lake%20HC-900025.jpg

You are not the only one... It would be an excellent choice for someone to make.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing posted for awhile but is there any thoughts or possible plans for a Vietnam war map? Thinking North and South Vietnam and parts of Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. I know it would be a huge undertaking due to it's size but what an addition that would be! Many of that era aircraft are available or in the works so that fit is possible too.

Skyspin

I5-4670K 4.3GHZ / 32GB DDR3 / EVGA 1080TI /HP Reverb G2 / ASUS Z-97A / SAMSUNG 500 GB SSD /Thrustmaster Warthog / RAZER Tartarus / CORSAIR Void Pro Wireless/  WIN 10

I don't think anyone's going to complain a ton about that.

You must be new here.

My favorite past ''concern'' threads were about planes getting stuck in the grass and the shading of the F-16s nosecone.

People will literally complain about anything and everything )

Btw, I don't think the map would be THAT terribly large. The extremes of n/s and the western half of Thailand could even be in the low detail section. Main parts would all fit in the Caucasus map, I think... well, the extreme n/s parts wouldn't

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I've posted multiple times about this as a wish and was just thinking about it over the weekend. All i want at this stage is the map preferably with the 1960s ear Vietnam war mil bases (Khe Sanh, Danang, etc) plus all the firebases (or major ones anyway). Then we can start using the Huey like they did in early Vietnam (prior to introduction of the Cobra). That would be awesome.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

• 6 months later...