Simulator vs real life

Sharkku

Hi guys.

I just have to share my experience today.

For background, I'm holding a private pilot licence PPL-A single engine, fixed wing, piston, land, since almost 20 years, but only around 200 flight hours total. I have had the DCS Huey module for a couple of years now, and I have become more and more interested in helicopters. I love doing precision hovering and generally fly around in it. I have built a simple sim-chair with a center mounted TM Warthog HOTAS stick with the main spring removed, and side monted thottle quadrant and Logitech pedals. I have the main throttle lever set up to increase collective when I pull it backwards. And I use VR, Rift CV1.

Recently, for my 40:ieth birthday, I got a helicopter lesson as a gift from my brothers. I was so excited, and today it finally happened! I got a lesson in a Robinson R22. I had no illusions that I would be able to fly the real thing like the simulator, but guess what. When the instructor told me to take the controls, I could just do it. It was incredible. First attempt, I have never been at the controls of a real helicopter, and I was hovering, stable, with little effort! Ok, it took maybe a minute or two to get used to the forces and sensitivity of the controls, but it actually felt really close to the simulation!!! It was such an awesome feeling! My instructor was deeply impressed. (bragging a bit now, but I think I earned that right ;) ) He could hardly believe that I had never flown a real helicopter before. He even let me hover taxi and land at the end! I think this is the highest praise to this simulator and especially the Huey module. It works, b****es! A huge THANK YOU, to the guys at ED and former Belsimtek, and I really hope you give this awesome module some more love in the not too distant future!

Cheers!

Sharkku

• Like 10

Nice story :)

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Nice gift.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Congratulations.

Ther is also to say that an R22 in real life is much harder to control than a Huey.

The R22 is the formula one car in the helicopter family. It's very responsive and you have to be extremely sensitive in the controls.

Great job:thumbup:

Always happy landings ;)

Nice one Sharkku!

I´m still have trouble to precise control the helis in the sim. In found in IRL it was much easier.

Ther is also to say that an R22 in real life is much harder to control than a Huey.

Why? I never found the R22 hard to control?

• Like 1

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Why? I never found the R22 hard to control?

As I am sad because of its low weight and relative power it is like a sportscar.

The R22 reacts quickly to any control input and all changes in power setting are quick as well.

So you have to be reactive on the pedals when pulling in power.

Because of its lightweight, it's also highly maneuverable but also easily affected by wind.

This is also the reason why it is so easy to kill yourself in an R22 and there are special rules and limitations related to weather conditions and pilot experience.

This is nothing you may realize during some "fun" flights or during initial flight training.

I am sure it is common knowledge if you learn to fly on an R22 you can fly anything else.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/videos/outback-wrangler/helicopter-cattle-mustering-4366.aspx

As heavier, a helicopter is, his mass will slow down any movements so the pilot has more time for reaction, but it has also to think much more in advance.

For example. landing in a Huey may be performed spontaneously but in the bigger and much heavier Mi-8, you need time and more pre-planning.

Always happy landings ;)

I would say two things made it possible so much easier way.

1) VR itself... No, you don't get that with the screen!!!!

2) DCS amazing level of simulation (can always be improved)

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks for your responses! Interesting points about the R22 being so responsive, I didn't know it was one of the quickest! I found it quite sensitive in the controls, that took a little while to adjust to. But it was quite fun, once I got the hang of it!

I agree VR is one of the crucial elements that made the sim training that effective. In VR you really get the feeling of the helicopters movement, compared to a flat screen, TrackIR or not. Another crucial part is the controls. Having the throttle set up so you pull it backwards to increase collective and vice versa is very important, to most closely mimic reality. (unless you have a real collective of course). An as you say, the flight model for the Huey is one of, if not the best, I've used.

Edited by Sharkku
  • Like 1

The open post was a very interesting read.

It is great to know that our desktop simulator played a huge part in your getting to fly the real thing.

Congratulations on that feat and cheers.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• 3 weeks later...

Good to hear, but not altogether surprising. Both the military and civilian companies use simulators for training purposes, for example; the f35 has no two seater trainer, so the pilots go straight to from sim to solo!

I dare say that military simulators are a lot more complex than DCS, but probably not as much fun, or quite so cheap!

VNAO, CVW-14, VFA-146.

Good to hear, but not altogether surprising. Both the military and civilian companies use simulators for training purposes, for example; the f35 has no two seater trainer, so the pilots go straight to from sim to solo!

I dare say that military simulators are a lot more complex than DCS, but probably not as much fun, or quite so cheap!

Well, I have been curious for many years flying helicopters in sims, how much of it would be applicable in real life. Now I know! :)

I had a similar experience, but I flew not the real helo but a full military Bell 206C sim. There's a thread around here about it with videos, etc. I could not only fly it, I could hot dog with it. Quick stops, turning about the nose, etc.

Without a doubt, if you can fly the DCS Huey proficiently, you will be able to fly a real helicopter. Truly.

Principal difference for me was the same - range of motion of the controls, and the level of input force required to move them.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/