5 prohibited maneuvers?

WelshZeCorgi

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-five-maneuvers-that-were-prohibited-in-the-f-14-tom-1757179036

Wondering the validity of this. I tried the flying upside down thing, didn't do anything. Am going to try the aim 9 launch with landing flaps and slats down, see if that damages anything. Am also going to try the roll greater than 360 degree manuver.

I know my real world Tomcat buddies have confirmed the 'no missile shots with flaps deployed' limitation and took that one seriously - although it was already pretty aggressive to be maneuvering with flaps fully deployed given the relatively low airspeed limitation (225 KCAS if I recall).

DISCO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

#2 Zero or negative G maneuvers in excess of 10 seconds with afterburner operating or 20 seconds at military power (full throttle without afterburner) or less

Tried this with negative G over 10 seconds and indeed the engines shutdown :)

Airstart did it's job luckily.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, did get engine shutdown with the negative g for 10 seconds + afterburner.

Firing aim-9 from wing pylons with landing flaps and slats down did not damage flaps or slats.

Lighting the fuel dump with afterburners (dump and burn) doesn't do any damage to the F-14 as far as I can tell.

#5 (No rolling maneuvers with angle of bank change greater than 360 degrees.) Not 100% sure what this means, but I do find that rolling around (at the speed of sound) too much during a dogfight can really **** up the F-14. Especially if I get disoriented and start creating uncoordinated rolls with bad pedal inputs. In non-combat flight, simply rolling indefinitely doesn't seem to cause the jet to fall into a spin.

#5 (No rolling maneuvers with angle of bank change greater than 360 degrees.) Not 100% sure what this means, but I do find that rolling around (at the speed of sound) too much during a dogfight can really **** up the F-14. Especially if I get disoriented and start creating uncoordinated rolls with bad pedal inputs. In non-combat flight, simply rolling indefinitely doesn't seem to cause the jet to fall into a spin.

Same thing with Hornets. Greater than 360 degrees can lead to a departure. Also you really never roll beyond 360 and if you did your like making a BFM error. Unlimited rolls are for airshows.

Fighter jets are designed to be unstable so they can be more maneuverable. Because of that attention must be paid to where the limits begins and you must absolutely adhere to them.

Checkout my awesome F-14B Checklist / Reference guide.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=248885