Operation "Blue Flag" - 24/7 PvP Campaign - ROUND 9

gregzagk

Gadget website having problems or just me?

Yeah, I had some issues with it as well yesterday. The website said the server is offline, while it was not.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We can, and have in the past, done this. However, this does not solve the issue. All it does is correct the issue for the particular time that we can get people to join. Again, it only solves it that one time. It does nothing to fix the team balance issue that plagues this server.

Im really not so sure that the team locking is the way to go anymore. When I first started on BF, almost 2 years ago, I thought it was cool, but now all I think it does is cause a lot of people to join the team that they think will be easy mode or will win.

A new way to do it, and this has been proposed already, would be to set a population limit per team and let people join whatever team they want. Maybe lock them for 6-12 hours or something. Hell even 24 hours, but after that let them switch. This allows the server to self balance because people are allowed to change teams depending on the population.

I know its not as awesome as locked teams and I know its not as cool because you can't really say that you beat someone or some squadron, but this is a public server. If there were a locked server for squadrons only than maybe locked teams would be the way to go. However, the longer I play here, the more I start to think that locked teams in a public server is going to do nothing but cause imbalance.

Good point. There are however a number of other things to consider.

1. Based on the charts submitted after each round usually during the rounds player numbers were balanced. There were obviously differences during different time of a day but overall, 24 hour statistics were close. On the other hand the testing sessions seem to be usually uneven.

Question is what has actually happened and changed recently that there is such a big disproportion at the moment. IMHO the answer that addresses the root cause not the symptoms is that the server is online all the time. My suggestion would be to either run the round 10 as fast as possible and close the server or close it now and get it back online to run a short testing and the official round.

2. Regarding closed teams, I might be totally wrong here but I always assumed that it actually helps to maintain the numbers on both sides. Players have to pick a side and stay on it for "good and bad". I see the risk that if teams are being open, even more people will join the winning team or the one with higher numbers. There can be even a domino effect – the round gets close to the end with one team winning which would make even more people to switch from losing side, biasing the overall round results. IMHO, disabling team lock has a high risk of making the current situation even worse.

Finally the other aspect is that if the teams are opened and players are chaning all the time it'll be hard to say that a specific team won the round.

3. Players limit - even considering comments from the first point, we should abandon all hope that the numbers will balance themselves. There needs to be a balancing system on a public servers.

A simple way of doing it could be by not allowing to spawn if the team has a certain number advantage (for instance 30%).

Another one - balance the number of lives. For instance if a team has a 50% advantage in numbers, their players loose a doulbe ammount of lives when killed (I would be even more aggressive and say 3x or 4x). The best thing about this solution is that it actually gives an incentive to both sides. Tempers the team with number advantage, makes players less bold and more carefull, while for the defending team creates a reason for making a stand.

IMHO even with the population balancing system being introduced the team separation should be maintained.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I don't understand why we don't have polls for each request.. Let them ppl decide if they want locked teams, A10s on the red side and so on, or, if democracy is not an option then BS team can try rotating missions based on different set-ups.. I would also prefer a rather shorter mission.. one week-end is enough to concentrate all the fun and we'll also might see more commitment from everybody.. as I noticed that the interest in the mission dilutes as the time passes.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

2. Regarding closed teams, I might be totally wrong here but I always assumed that it actually helps to maintain the numbers on both sides. Players have to pick a side and stay on it for "good and bad". I see the risk that if teams are being open, even more people will join the winning team or the one with higher numbers. There can be even a domino effect – the round gets close to the end with one team winning which would make even more people to switch from losing side, biasing the overall round results. IMHO, disabling team lock has a high risk of making the current situation even worse.

Finally the other aspect is that if the teams are opened and players are chaning all the time it'll be hard to say that a specific team won the round.

I disagree, i think having the possibility to switch teams anytime is gonna do alot for balancing. A few years back i played alot of Rise of flight, and everytime it started getting unbalanced on a server someone in the chat wrote "2 versus 15, really guys" , then someone else replied, "oh shit, didnt notice, ill switch side" and in 1 minute the server was balanced. The communety was great at that, even people that hated flying british planes switched from german just to make it fun for everyone. It was great. Im sure the same could happen here as these simmers useally are a nice bunch of people and everyone wants to have fun. What fun is there really in being on a team of fifteen against one guy on the other side? For me that is boring, not having any targets.

Personally i picked up the habit from ROF, when i enter servers i always pick the underdog just to try an even the odds+ its always nice to have somthing to shoot at instead of competing with 20 other players who is the first to shoot down that 1 guy on the other team:p. It's a pity i cant do this on blue flag server:(

I started playing on these server a few months ago and for me it always have been pretty unbalanced, mostly i expirience that my team either has 3 versus 20 or im at a team with 20 against 3, not fun at all.... think i only had one session where it was halfway decent balanced.

I just like to add, even if it looks like im always bithcing and complaining about things, its just because i love the game too much and i kinda get to emmotional about it and then it just go crazy from there and sometimes i end up in flamewars just because my passion for the game/server/weather:p whatever is too much. Never take me seriously, im crazy, lol

Edited by kaboki

Specs:

Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz, Nvidia GTX980 4GB, 8gb RAM

I don't think shutting the server down is a good solution to problems.

It's not exactly shutting down the server but getting back to the original concept. IMO having the server online all the time just dilutes the original concept. It also has an negative impact on balancing as without ultimate goal of making a progress towards capturing all the bases and winning the round more people just hop in for a casual round of game with preference for joining a team with higher numbers.

I disagree, i think having the possibility to switch teams anytime is gonna do alot for balancing. A few years back i played alot of Rise of flight, and everytime it started getting unbalanced on a server someone in the chat wrote "2 versus 15, really guys" , then someone else replied, "oh shit, didnt notice, ill switch side" and in 1 minute the server was balanced. The communety was great at that, even people that hated flying british planes switched from german just to make it fun for everyone. It was great. Im sure the same could happen here as these simmers useally are a nice bunch of people and everyone wants to have fun. What fun is there really in being on a team of fifteen against one guy on the other side? For me that is boring, not having any targets.

I started playing on these server a few months ago and for me it always have been pretty unbalanced, mostly i expirience that my team either has 3 versus 20 or im at a team with 20 against 3, not fun at all.... think i only had one session where it was halfway decent balanced.

I guess we can agree that we disagree :). I do understand your point. I also don't see a pleasure to play on overwhelmed side without any perspective to achieve anything nor enjoy the boring session with cheap kills when being on the team with 10 time’s number advantage. I'm also sure that there are a lot of people like that. The reality however is more brutal. The fact that red side desperately lacks numbers is known from quite a while. Using your logic the numbers should balance themselves already just by more players selecting different side for next round. Sorry if it sounds harsh but not only so recent history show that stacking numbers on one side is a fact.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Checking, thanks.

Greg

It has been 6 hours now... :P Any status information please? :)

Desktop App working fine though. :)

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Server full already LOL (again, is it possible to increase slots from 52 to 64 ?)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

It has been 6 hours now... :P Any status information please? :)

Desktop App working fine though. :)

Jesus, Greg, Xcom and others do this in their freetime. They do it because they like it aka they will do it ASAP within the limits of it beeing a hobby and not a profession.

Good info on the Desktop app working.

Server full already LOL (again, is it possible to increase slots from 52 to 64 ?)

Is DCS multiplayer stable atm with 52 player ?

No it isnt.

Is the relevant DCS part running single threaded ?

Yes it is.

Did DCS MP run stable with 64 clients even when we had a really good phase with DCS MP stability last year ?

No not even then.

Is adding more workload to a single threaded programm which already has performance issues going to make matters worse.

Hell yes.

The rational answer to your understandable request is probably no due to theese reasons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Good info on the Desktop app working.

Is DCS multiplayer stable atm with 52 player ?

No it isnt.

Is the relevant DCS part running single threaded ?

Yes it is.

Did DCS MP run stable with 64 clients even when we had a really good phase with DCS MP stability last year ?

No not even then.

Is adding more workload to a single threaded programm which already has performance issues going to make matters worse.

Hell yes.

The rational answer to your understandable request is probably no due to theese reasons.

Thx for all the explanation! :D (making single threaded thing multi threaded isn't impossible though)

Thx for all the explanation! :D (making single threaded thing multi threaded isn't impossible though)

Yee and ED should do that. But I do not think they are going to do it any time soon unfortunately.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Its 2017 and we don't have dedicated servers. Explain your self ED, please.

I wonder if their multiplayer test server was anything more than a "haha we are working on it see how hard we are working? haha"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Web gadget hasn't worked for me for 3 days, but from other people I hear its working? Not sure what's going on here, it just gives me server offline.

It seems to depend on the web browser or something like that. When I accesed the web gadget from my PC (Win 10, IE11) yesterday, it didn't work, but when I tried it with my phone (Android, Chrome) it did work.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

..did the BF server chrash in the last time? When I was on it didn't - was completly stable. But I have to add that when I was online, there had been around like 30-40 clients online.

the Rubberbanding problem in the last hour is still present. not as Bad as some rounds bevor but planes can still be all over the place in the last hour/30min

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Gadget website is magically fixed again... :P :) http://gadget.buddyspike.net/

And we're winning! :D (red)

As I expected, it happens again (TS offline 2nd time this week). My TS BF backup-server online: danielnl.ddns.net enjoy.

We should start using 104th teamspeak until this TS issue is resolved.