Problem with warthog throttle - flickering inputs

Hi guys,

I thought it was something wrong with windows 8, but I went back to windows 7 and I tested out my throttle unit and noticed that the boat switch/speedbrake/china hat flicker on and off while the throttle axis are being used or even if you let it stay. This is why I noticed sometimes that white hot and black hot images sometimes flicker on and off. I thought it was something in the software.

Does anyone else have this issue? Please suggest what to do?

thanks,

V

starts at 15 sec. Notice the other switches flicker on and off.

looking for this...

Capture-4.png

Edited by Witchking

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

That looks like a call to Thrustmaster is in order, unless you can still return it where you bought.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I had something of a similar problem recently. Make sure you check in Options that you have no other conflicts with key bindings. When you re-install it seems you may have all your interface devices linked to the same key. Annoyingly.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Yup! It can't be reassignments, because as you saw, that was in Target control panel, not DCS. :( Yup! UNfortunately it looks like a wiring error. Darn it. My 30 day policy is over at best buy and they don't sell the warthog anymore (canada best buy). I sent TM an email...hopefully they can sort this out for me. Sucks! I hope shipping won't be to france.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Yup! It can't be reassignments, because as you saw, that was in Target control panel, not DCS. :( Yup! UNfortunately it looks like a wiring error. Darn it. My 30 day policy is over at best buy and they don't sell the warthog anymore (canada best buy). I sent TM an email...hopefully they can sort this out for me. Sucks! I hope shipping won't be to france.

ask them to send the replacement part and swap it out yourself

Action After Contemplation

I sent TM an email...hopefully they can sort this out for me. Sucks! I hope shipping won't be to france.

IIRC, folks that have had to ship one back from North America have been sending it somewhere in Canada.

Although, when I received a replacement MFD it did come from France.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I could try to swap it..but I am concerned about messing it up. Its too expensive to screw up.

But man...if I need to send this thing back...even in canada...shipping is going to be crazy for that weight.

Had this problem a few weeks ago. My couser would jump around and things would flicker. It only happened when the right throtle was close to max. What happened was the wires coming out of the bottom of the right throtle were getting pinched. I had to cut and solder a new wire in and used some electrical tape were the ribbin wires bend at the bottom to stiffin. Fixed my issue.

Suppose I could have had thrustmaster send me a new wire but I didn't want to wait.

AMD 955, Asus M4A79t, 12GB 1600 cas7 Mushkin red line and black line, EVGA 670 FTW, Samsung 840 SSD 250GB, Samsung spin point 620GB x3 extra storage.

EMAILED TM: They suggested to open throttle and send them a picture. I wanted to cover myself and make sure wasnt doing anything wrong, so made a video.

I don't know...still need to test throttle. But don't know if I temporarily fixed it somehow? or it just hasn't happened after I closed the throttle up

Watched you're video and it looks like the issue I had. Hope the problem went away cross your fingers. If they come back take the base plate off the bottom, hook up the usb and move the wires coming out of the throttles. It should reproduce the problem. It will most likely be the right throttle since the wires get pinched more and that's the side with the switches. Once you get that far you will need TM to send you the ribbon wire. It's fairly easy to take apart and put in. The hardest part is cutting the glue where the wire clips into the board. Hope this helps you out.

Would like to note I couldn't find the ribbon wire at any local shop ect, so I just cut the bad section out and soldered in a new single wire. I bent the wire to desired curve and used electrical tape to stiffen the bend so it wouldn't pinch or flex and ware the wire out. I think this is the weakest link to the wort hog. I got my Warthog when the A10C beta came out so it had some use. In time I plan on ordering and new cable and modding the bottom a little bit for a better fix.

Edited by LeadDoctor

AMD 955, Asus M4A79t, 12GB 1600 cas7 Mushkin red line and black line, EVGA 670 FTW, Samsung 840 SSD 250GB, Samsung spin point 620GB x3 extra storage.

I tried it again yesterday...kinda busy with work, so not too many chances to play DCS world. Thanks for the advice. TM replied to me and said that the issue is solved and it might have been that connector. Thats it I guess.... I just hope that indeed was it. Don't want this to start happening once the warranty runs out.

On that note, I need to get a soldering iron. I think that would be very useful.

DId u take any pics or anything of your modding?

At least if it comes up again you have a history of this issue with TM.

Mine is still working fine, and out of warranty now, but I am not looking forward to the inevitable day when I am going to have to tear it open for something.

Man! I tell you... u can probably see how careful I was when I was opening my throttle. I did not want to scratch it not to mention rip any cables. However, I was glad to witness the extremely professional and quality construction and craftsmanship put into this product. :) Lets hope the TM warthog can give the CH products a run for its money on longevity.

• 6 months later...

Just an update on this issue if anyone has a similar problem...

The flickering buttons came back with a vengeance.

http://youtu.be/dDkw5CcvYoo

Anyways... contacted thrustmaster, sent in my throttle to montreal centre. it cost around 22$ + box + tape. (ridiculous that canada post don't let you use their shipping tape anymore). A week later, yesterday, got back my throttle. All looks well and the issue is gone. My china hat and boat switch work fine now.

• 2 years later...

flickering inputs solved with soldering

I've occasionally had the "flickering inputs" problem, especially on the right throttle axis and boat switch. This time it became too bothering in A-10C because I "china hat forward-long" didn't work correctly.

So I opened the base again. I knew that that the blue wire on the ribbon cable was a bit dented, but I always thought that it was not broken.

This time I cut away the damaged part and soldered some new wire. No more flickering :)

I'm no electrician, but I believe that the blue wire is the ground. Buttons worked even when the wire was cut, but they flickered. You know how it is: having problems with hardware is one thing, but if you don't know what causes the problems then you go nuts :) So I was quite happy to see immediate effect with the new wire.

• 2 years later...

I had a similar issue with my joystick button. I took it apart and saw that one wire was barely connected. They really have shoddy wiring considering the price of the TMWH. Anyway, I rewired it and it was fine after that. So you should CLOSELY inspect every cable and connection. It could be a cold solder joint so check that. Take a wooden chopstick and gently tap on the solder joints. If you have a cold solder joint issue, tapping on it will find it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

conflicting inputs

I too am having these problems. i push china hat forward and speed brake operates. i looked in the key bindings to see what was going on and it seems the speed brake , boat s/w and china hat were sending crossed signals and to top it all the left throttle has a mind of it's own. i have been in touch with Thrustmaster but they want

Picture of invoice

Picture of serial number on the base of the device.

Full name

Full shipping address

Phone number

All that is ok but i no longer have the invoice and i bought it second hand from e-bay years ago. I too agree that the quality of the internal components are 'Nasty' , i'm thinking of getting the new throttles from VKB.

did you resolve your problem?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I too am having these problems. i push china hat forward and speed brake operates. i looked in the key bindings to see what was going on and it seems the speed brake , boat s/w and china hat were sending crossed signals and to top it all the left throttle has a mind of it's own. i have been in touch with Thrustmaster but they want

Picture of invoice

Picture of serial number on the base of the device.

Full name

Full shipping address

Phone number

All that is ok but i no longer have the invoice and i bought it second hand from e-bay years ago. I too agree that the quality of the internal components are 'Nasty' , i'm thinking of getting the new throttles from VKB.

You may be in for quite a wait on those throttlesn from VKB.

Virpil has one available for pre-order with July shipping.

https://virpil-controls.by/en/shop/vpc-mongoost-50-throttle-vpc

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

did you resolve your problem?

well sort of. been in touch with Thrustmaster and they have offered me a 'paid repair process'

It will cost 115 euros + post and take two weeks (give or take).

so looks like i'll have to buy a cheap throttle from E-bay as I cannot go that long without my DCS Fix. lol

at least they offer to repair it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog