Titan V

Not that I could justify buying one, but to put my mind at rest, would a Titan V give a massive boost to fps in VR against a Titan Xp or a 1080ti? I have a de-lidded 8700k overclocked to 5Ghz and a Titan Xp. Whilst running the sim in single player the CPU doesn't seem to be stressed too much going by the temperature and activity however the graphics card is 100% and getting hot. This makes me think that the graphics card is the bottleneck. I couldn't find any flight sim benchmarks for the Titan V probably because its not designed for gaming and it's so expensive but it would be nice to know what it could do.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

I don't know if it'll help that much. Well, the extra memory might, and the Titan V CEO version may help because of added memory bandwidth. But you may be better of spending the money on another DCS account, modules and playing that way. I recall someone posting huge improvements in FPS. I never did get around to testing it. Maybe during the Fourth of July holiday I'll finally get around to it.

Also, I'm holding out for Vulkan to rear its head in 2019 timeframe (one can hope). That alone will probably give us the boost us VR users need.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't know if it'll help that much. Well, the extra memory might, and the Titan V CEO version may help because of added memory bandwidth. But you may be better of spending the money on another DCS account, modules and playing that way. I recall someone posting huge improvements in FPS. I never did get around to testing it. Maybe during the Fourth of July holiday I'll finally get around to it.

Say what?

Not sure I am following that statement in bold, " buying another DCS account" can you clarify?

OP: IMHO 1080 Ti is best you can do for VR currently.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Say what?

Not sure I am following that statement in bold, " buying another DCS account" can you clarify?

OP: IMHO 1080 Ti is best you can do for VR currently.

This is what he is talking about I believe, you need to buy everything twice LOL. I will wait for Vulkan / multithreading I think.

It's very much along the lines of what ED is doing now.

Tip for increased performance - Use second PC as server

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

This is what he is talking about I believe, you need to buy everything twice LOL. I will wait for Vulkan / multithreading I think.

It's very much along the lines of what ED is doing now.

Tip for increased performance - Use second PC as server

Ah ok thanks for the info.

I would love better performance but not at that expense.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

it does show you can hive off most of the other operations to different threads and DCS will run better...

AI.

Script engine.

etc.

use my spare cores, not a servers.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

imho, he made a joke LoL

..or he was :drunk: hehe

The Titan V would for sure give you a boost, the CEO even more.

Just how much per $ is the BIG question. It will be like with race bikes, every gram lighter is 100$ from a certain point on it gets very very expensive to get better. The Titan V is the most stupid move you could do unless your bank account is "beyond" what we can imagine, then heck yes.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yes, it's bound to give a boost but by how much? I couldn't find any flight sim type benchmarks, nearly all first person shooters. I wouldn't buy one because of the cost but it would be interesting to see what sort of performance unlimited funds could buy. If someone on these forums had a Titan V they might be able to say it made hardly any difference or it doubled the FPS who knows? Anyway, the thread about using a second PC as a server to boost performance looks interesting.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

Titan V anywhere 25-40% ahead of the 1080Ti, but the biggest potential is Ray tracing. This one is full tensor cores featured which should pay dividends against any card even NVIDIAS own future gaming variants (romured to be delayed again).

That said dont expect any games heavy on Ray tracing any time soon.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The split between server and client is to come anyway, it's on ED's To-Do list iirc. A thing that should have been done L O N G ago in the development imho.

Thing is, if we play on servers now, do we carry the unused garbage with us or not ?

Only if this answer is NO, then a 2nd machine as a srv would make sense, I highly doubt it tbh.

I dont think DCS loads less "internals" when you play online, as we can see, it is even harder and not easier as of now.

There are many opinions out there and a good portion of them has some real value, if seen in the right context. Which context fits your bill is totally different story.

For now, the 8700k at 5.2G is king of the hill but that may change once more cores are taxed and the need for ONE super fast core is eliminated. This will happen gradually from all we know from the devs. step by step DCS is transferred, with the ded.SRV playing a big role in this step by nature. If this happens fast enough to buy a Ryzen 2700x now...who knows....I think the 2700x already is the better deal..and this is where opinions differ mostly, and all are valid as nobody really knows.

When it comes to GPU,, it's A LOT simpler, there sadly only is Nvida, and only Nvidia for now. No one in his sane mind would buy an AMD GPU for DCS now....unless he bets on that one card, that Vulkan comes pretty fast and knowing that the specific AMD card would outperform the 1080ti in Vulkan/VR then..but again...nobody knows. We do know that the 1080ti is the fastest card reasonable money can buy NOW which works great in DCS, and it wont change that fast according to Mr.Nvidia himself.

Basically it comes down to either 8700k or 2700X and a 1080ti, 32GB and SSD(s). Anything else will suffer.

For those who want the absolut fastest NOW, the 8700k is best.

For those who want the best bang for the buck and hope that more cores outplay more MHz soon, Ryzen is the right chip.

Some will cry..HEY BIT...you give up 1GHz !!! Say, with a 4.2G vs. 5.2G All-Core overclock.

Yes, I know..but I have also done enough tests to know that it really only matters down form 4.5 and deeper with settings that CRY for high fps. As soon as you switch gears towards high LOD and SSAA, those 1GHz missing is not that relevant anymore. Even far less in VR.

Pilotasso for example states ( and I trust him ultimately when it comes to this ) that his 2700x is taxed on SEVEN cores when running DCS, mine is taxed on SIX cores..it would may take 7 if I had one more. So the 2700x already shows an advantage to spread the load across seven cores and thus have 7 x 4.2G towards my 6 x 5.2G = 29.4GHz vs 31.2GHz combined, that gap aint that big as someone might expect if you look from the right perspective.

RAM. 16GB is only valid if you cannot afford 32GB. It is pretty clear 32GB is the new standard, numbers proof it, no discussion needed, it's also in the requirements from ED.

We can hope ED moves as fast as possible so people can decide with confidence what to buy best, right now...I run a 8700k and tell people to buy a 2700X...I admit, not very trustworthy but time has passed since I got the 8700k and the code has made HUGE steps ahead, I have friends with 2700x and 17-1800x chips, they all speak only positive, many in VR. I would love to just change my system to a 2700X, take mine, give me a board and CPU, keep my RAM...and I am happy.

The 8700k wont run the 5G or 5.2G out of the box in any circumstances you can possibly throw at it without a good deal of preparation, aka fat cooling and likely a delid/relid...something I never wanted to do, void a warranty on a CPU.I just had a broken 6700k and Intel gave me a new one. With my 8700k I am all alone now. Things AMD doesnt do to you, they give you proper solder.

Things to consider if you want bulletproof 5 or 5.2G with modest temps, it doesnt come free, it's a serious thing and some money involved that makes the 8700k even more pricier.

The goal must be to leverage more cores to eliminate the need for the fastest and most expensive chips ( open DCS to new customers with mid-tier machines! ), move to Vulkan to have better performing graphics, maybe with mGPU in the future. This would make it MUCH easier to prepare or mod a machine for good DCS performance. Right now, it's like I described above, there is not much else you could do.

With MANY cores and mGPU, you could use a mid tier AMD of 2020, say an 8 core 4GHz for 180$, a mid-tier GPU to start with and you can add another one when you can afford it. That would be fantastic...and open DCS to many more players who just dont dare to run DCS on their rigs once they have read our forum messages. I can fully understand them tbh. ED is aware of this from all we have read and I am confident we will see many things happen next 2 years.

Maybe some Vulkan by the end of this year and hopefully some more during 2019.

This is my hope, and my guess

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Not sure how much this will help you, but I had a few beers one night and ordered an EVGA hybrid cooler for my Founders Edition 1080ti. Temps now are AWESOME. Rarely over 55C loaded now.

Now that said, GPU's will run mostly at 100% in many cases anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. What are your FPS in game?

With a delid 8700k @4.8ghz and a 1080ti I saw fps in the 160's when I found the ingame fps counter. This was regular flying so it could be worse in dogfights, down low etc.... but tbh my performance has been good IMO. I'm not on VR though, but do run high settings at 2560x1440@144hz

55°C is good but you coud run 30°C max with the right block, I did the same mistake.

Heatkiller-IV GPU block is 30-32° max at 2100MHz full boost according to HardOCP review.

My next GPU is a FE + Watercool's Heatkiller GPU block ( like my CPU block ).

The thing is, if the GPU senses temps above 30-something it downclocks by definition.

Keeping it around 30°C will keep it boooosted ;)

yeah I was sick of custom loops and tbh the boosts didn't seem to make much difference in the reviews I read anyway. My gpu is a so so oc'er. I hit sustained 2000-2050 with a mild oc stable. Yeah I might get 50-100 more, but wasn't worth the hassle and $ to me. I mainly bought the hybrid for the noise. It's so quiet now. Before the squirrel cage fan would ramp up when the gpu was loaded and temps would hit 70C(with custom fan curve) or higher with stock fan curve.

I should dig out my old phase change cooler and get some sub 30C temps :).

I'm surprised that they haven’t made the main focus on coding to improve the ability to run the game on mid-tier machines the top,focus. It would greatly expand potential customer base moreso than any additional modules or terrains.

I7-6700k @ 4.5ghz

Gigabyte gaming 3 motherboard

32gb 3000hz ddr4

EVGA 2080ti black w/ hydrocopper water cooling

360mm custom water cooled loop for CPU and Vid card

500mb nvme ssd

256mb sata ssd

2gb hdd

Samsung Odyessy +

TM warthog stick & throttle

MS ff2 stick

I'm surprised that they haven’t made the main focus on coding to improve the ability to run the game on mid-tier machines the top,focus. It would greatly expand potential customer base moreso than any additional modules or terrains.

I believe it is a very important area for ED and has been for quite a few years now starting with the new graphics engine (edge). Thing is you still need to move forward and be profitable and this is no easy feat here, much of DCS was coded way back when we had single core cpu's!!

Here is a post I made quoting some of what ED's coders have posted, ED is also working on integrating Vulkan api also. I think this all just go's hand in hand with pulling 1.5 million lines of code apart for more multithreading where possible for Vulkan.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link