Attention FSSB R3 Warthog owners!

MACADEMIC

This message is directed at all Realsimulator FSSB R3 Warthog owners/prospective owners!

I've spoken with Manuel of Realsimulator about a feature request for the R3, to couple the required control forces directly to the flight model and flight situation in DCS. This generally means light control forces at low speeds, and higher control forces at high speeds, as derived from the FM of the particular aircraft (some kind of 'implied force-feedback').

He told me this would be a good idea, as this is how it is generally done in all 5th gen fighter control systems. Realsimulator would be happy to implement this request in a future firmware update, provided they hear from 10 or more R3 users that they would like to see such an update.

If you are an R3 owner and would like to see this feature, or a prospective owner who would be more likely to purchase the product with this feature, please write to Manuel at general_inf@realsimulator.com

:thumbup:

MAC

• Like 1

Will this be toggle-able or just a hard coded implementation? I think users should be able to choose what they want to do in this matter. Not be forced to use it.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Will this be toggle-able or just a hard coded implementation? I think users should be able to choose what they want to do in this matter. Not be forced to use it.

I agree, and would think this would become user switchable (as the pre-sets already are now) - best send an email with your support for the functionality with this remark to Realsimulator.

MAC

What I've understood, is that in all modern Flight Control Systems you should get exactly same response from a/c for same pressure applied on the stick, regardless of speed (as long as it is possible). Any link to info on those 5th generation fighters?

What I've understood, is that in all modern Flight Control Systems you should get exactly same response from a/c for same pressure applied on the stick, regardless of speed (as long as it is possible). Any link to info on those 5th generation fighters?

It's unlikely to be quite that simple. Take a look at this, especially the second post. Admitedly not 5th gen, but it should give you an idea that how the plane responds can vary quite a bit, depending on how the FBW is programmed.

I'm a potential owner and would be more interested with the suggested modifications - assuming they are, indeed, realistic.

As an aside, I'm curious to hear from current R3 owners about their satisfaction with the product. How much of a difference does it make? Do you lose TARGET script editor functionality for the joystick? The latter is quite important to me, as I spend a non-trivial amount of time developing custom scripts for each aircraft. I would hate to lose advanced programmability/control over joystick buttons/switches.

I have just emailed the realsimulator.com as I have been planning to purchase this product this year.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I'm a potential owner and would be more interested with the suggested modifications - assuming they are, indeed, realistic.

As an aside, I'm curious to hear from current R3 owners about their satisfaction with the product. How much of a difference does it make? Do you lose TARGET script editor functionality for the joystick? The latter is quite important to me, as I spend a non-trivial amount of time developing custom scripts for each aircraft. I would hate to lose advanced programmability/control over joystick buttons/switches.

You won't lose TARGET functionality if you don't want to; the R3 is a very cleaver bit of kit.

You can either:

1) Plug it straight in using the supplied USB lead.

2) Turn over the existing Wathog stick and remove the PCB from the base, with attached USB lead, and transplant into the R3 base.

Option 2 allows the stick to be recognised the same as before, so no controls reconfiguring required, and TARGET will work. The only downside is only Option 1 allows for on the fly changing of control forces etc, but this isn't essential.

It takes some getting used to, but I can't over emphasise how precise it is. It's really excellent.

You won't lose TARGET functionality if you don't want to; the R3 is a very cleaver bit of kit.

You can either:

2) Turn over the existing Wathog stick and remove the PCB from the base, with attached USB lead, and transplant into the R3 base.

Option 2 allows the stick to be recognised the same as before, so no controls reconfiguring required, and TARGET will work. The only downside is only Option 1 allows for on the fly changing of control forces etc, but this isn't essential.

It takes some getting used to, but I can't over emphasise how precise it is. It's really excellent.

Thank you for the prompt reply! Is there a video that demonstrates the modification for option two?

You can either:

A quick question - are you using it with DCS prop planes? If yes, how's that working out for you?

MAC

A quick question - are you using it with DCS prop planes? If yes, how's that working out for you?

MAC

I've got all the DCS modules and it works fine for all of them, including the prop planes.

It's a little strange using it with helos, simply because you can't displace the stick where you know it needs to be to lift off the ground into a hover; but again you just get used to it.

If I remember, I'll post a track tomorrow to give you an idea how precise it is.

I've got all the DCS modules and it works fine for all of them, including the prop planes.

It's a little strange using it with helos, simply because you can't displace the stick where you know it needs to be to lift off the ground into a hover; but again you just get used to it.

If I remember, I'll post a track tomorrow to give you an idea how precise it is.

Sounds good - thanks!

MAC

Saitek force, Saitek PRO Flight X-65F Combat Control System was not very successful.

400.00 for the Warthog controller and another 600.00 for this add on .....lots of money for just a joystick with force.....think I would rather have a force feedback type of controller. imho

Sounds good - thanks!

MAC

Track attached. I show the reaction of the stick in a TF-51 then fly a quick takeoff and landing. You can also turn on the control display (RCtrl-Enter) to help show it also. Note the sensitivity and speed of reaction. This is because there's no filtering/smoothing of any kind; it doesn't need it.

Please note that the scruffy flying is due to my lack of recent flying in the '51/general incompetence, and is no reflection on the hardware :music_whistling:

Saitek force, Saitek PRO Flight X-65F Combat Control System was not very successful.

400.00 for the Warthog controller and another 600.00 for this add on .....lots of money for just a joystick with force.....think I would rather have a force feedback type of controller. imho

A good quality force feedback stick would have been my preference. The problem is there aren't any available. Even the non-force feedback stick (base) supplied with the Wathog isn't that great.

The R3 on the other hand is extremely good quality. While it's not cheap, unlike some products, it doesn't leave you scratching your head wondering where the money you spent went.

R3.trk

That is because FS is not realistic at all for most planes. It is terribly unrealistic for WWII planes and its too expensive for most casual flyers.

It's expensive because of its high quality as much as anything else. If I could have got a conventional stick that was as precise as this I probably would have, but now I have it I wouldn't trade it. It makes for some great space saving (see pic below)

As for realism for prop planes it's hardly a deal breaker; once you're used to it it makes no difference (in fact trim works far better).

At any rate can those who were against the idea of FS before this thread even came up please let us get back on topic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=111694&stc=1&d=1421696572

IMAG0007.jpg?dl=0

IMAG0007.thumb.jpg.b959c124c44b92eea9fd8c73a069126b.jpg

Edited by Flamin_Squirrel
stupid dropbox