Is the Saitek X56 really that bad?

I've seen and read several bad reviews of the X56 with a few of them actually referring to it as a piece of garbage. Is it really that bad? The most common complaints are concerning poor build quality (i.e. wobbly rotary knobs and clicking sounds when moving the throttle or flight stick) or the system failing after a few weeks of use.

I want a decent flight stick for my A-10C, ideally something that's just one step down from a TM Warthog. Doesn't the X56 fall into that category? If not, I'd welcome more suggestions.

This is the X56 I have my eye on right now: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RD5AT1587&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCAMKPL-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCAMKPL-PC-_-pla-_-PC+Gaming+Accessories+%28Joystick+-+Game+Pad+-+etc.%29-_-9SIA7RD5AT1587&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6r6l0IXZ2AIVT57ACh1-sQ4CEAYYAyABEgJfUfD_BwE

Personally I have had no issues with it. I have had it about a year and it has done everything I have needed it to do. There are some oddities to how you have to map stuff since the joystick has that thumb axis that I don’t use but other than that I love it.

I was in the fence like you since everything out there is stating problems left and right but again I have had no issues.

You can find bad reviews for everything. I had the X55 for years, everyone said it was crap, I never had a problem.

I have TM Warthogs, some people have had a lot of issues, again I've had none.

I fully suspect you would be fine with the X56.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Here's the problem you are going to have with getting the info you want for the X-55/X56.

Some people are going to tell you it is a great stick that has never given them any grief and to go for it.

Other people are going to tell you it is a POS and you should stay away from it like it is the plague.

Who are you going to believe?

The answer is BOTH, as both groups are telling you the truth in so far as their experience goes.

You see, when the problem lies with the essential dual nature of the X-55/56. Ergonomically, especially the throttle is an excellent piece of kit. Beautiful abundance of rotaries, great feeling/precision in throttle etc. etc. etc. On the other hand, it is a very, very, very, poorly built product. I do not mean in the cheapness of materials, but in the fundamental engineering of its internals, which leads to wires sometimes getting chopped. So what we have is a great piece of kit, with a fundamentally high rate of failure. But that does not mean that the gear will fail for everyone, or even most people. E.g., a 40% failure rate is absurdly high, and yet most people will probably not have face any issues. So people for whom the throttle has not failed --- and there are many --- will legitimately, and to the best of their knowledge, say it is a great throttle. And they cannot honestly tell you otherwise, because regardless of what the internet says, their own first-hand experience trumps it all, and their experience shows the opposite. On the other hand, people for whom the throttle has failed will naturally rant and rave and whine and tell you the opposite.

I fall in the latter category. Loved my (X-55) while it worked. One by one, rotaries and buttons and switches started failing, either by not working at all, or, even more annoying, sending ghost keypresses so had to be disabled. Until one day, the second axis failed, and I gave up on it. Took about 6-8 months for the first tiny failures to emerge, and about 1.5 years for the last before I gave up. Just my luck that the really serious issues did not start till the warranty ended. Moved since to a TMWH, had it now for twice as long with no issues. Though I still prefer the ergonomics of the X-56.

So, my advice to you would be to one of the following:

(1) Go ahead and get the X-56, but take on the mindset that this is a "disposable" control, that you might have to end up replacing at the end of a year or so. Now, you might not need to do this, and your "honeymoon" period may well last years, as it has for some folks. But if it doesn't, then at least you are prepared.

(2) Get the Thrusmaster TWCS. Not as nice ergonomics as either the X-56 or the TMWH, but it is a permanent buy (and affordable at $65) that will last you through the century https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826280081&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-PC+Gaming+Accessories+%28Joystick+-+Game+Pad+-+etc.%29-_-N82E16826280081&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnOzSBRDGARIsAL-mUB38FfDUb-8dWzmrylJHXovjIKn3hzaHukaNGwPFvK_sCr4gg3L_ja8aAuspEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

(Also note that the X-55/56 are not comparable in quality to the X-52 and the X-65). The X-52 and X-65 are excellent in internal build quality and last years and years and years and years, and the X-65 I would say easily beats the Hog in both quality and design. The X-55/56 is in a class of its own ... and not for the better)

Edited by Bearfoot

My opinion and experience is about 100% the same as Bearfoot's. I loved my X55.... the layout, comfort, amount of buttons, etc were damn near perfect. On the other side of things, ghost presses.. even with a powered USB HUB were a big problem... sometimes my landing gear would drop or canopy open for no reason. Then only after a year of use things started going wrong with the rotaries, the one I used for zoom would constantly cause jittering, this is due to the internal wires starting to break. When I opened it up I saw all the wires were half way broken in the throttle.

It's really a shame, they had the potential for a fantastic HOTAS, they were so close... but they cheaped out on some very important parts (better wires/wiring wouldn't have cost them much more at all) and that is where the X-55 and 56 fails. I am glad some of you havn't had issues... but many of us have, and it is only a matter of time for the rest of you since the wires are the same.

The Thrustmaster TWCS throttle is my stand in until VKB release their throttle. It certain feels and is cheaper than the X-55 one, but just as functional.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Just purchased the 56.... Logitech Gaming G Saitek Pro Flight X56 Rhino HOTAS

Item price $125.00. Free shipping. Rebuilt....with guarantee. You could purchase 3 of these units for what NewEgg wants. So with the failure rate of 1 year....you would have 3 years and a bunch of spare parts.

Laz

I've had an X56 for 1,5 years. No issues with quality of the X56 yet , but the stick ergonomics and gimbal are nothing to be impressed by. Just got the VKB MCG, which is a totally different beast.

Still use the throttle, which I actually find pretty good. Ghost presses used to drive me crazy, though. Getting a powered usb hub didn't fix it. What eventually did the trick was connecting the throttle to a different usb bus on the mb than the stick. After I did that there hasn't been a single ghost press.

Edited by SACG_Yeti

My opinion and experience is about 100% the same as Bearfoot's. I loved my X55.... the layout, comfort, amount of buttons, etc were damn near perfect. On the other side of things, ghost presses.. even with a powered USB HUB were a big problem... sometimes my landing gear would drop or canopy open for no reason. Then only after a year of use things started going wrong with the rotaries, the one I used for zoom would constantly cause jittering, this is due to the internal wires starting to break. When I opened it up I saw all the wires were half way broken in the throttle.

It's really a shame, they had the potential for a fantastic HOTAS, they were so close... but they cheaped out on some very important parts (better wires/wiring wouldn't have cost them much more at all) and that is where the X-55 and 56 fails. I am glad some of you havn't had issues... but many of us have, and it is only a matter of time for the rest of you since the wires are the same.

The Thrustmaster TWCS throttle is my stand in until VKB release their throttle. It certain feels and is cheaper than the X-55 one, but just as functional.

Iam getting issues with my throttle rotaries (on throttle itself - not base)

the jittering you describe, so if I replace the wiring between the base unit and throttle moving part itself it might cure this ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

the jittering you describe, so if I replace the wiring between the base unit and throttle moving part itself it might cure this ?

It should... but working inside the throttle is not at all easy... the wires are freaking tiny/thin and there is grease everywhere, it is an absolute mess. I attempted to resplice my wires with head shrink and let's just say I got a little overzealous with my use of the heat gun and managed to melt all the wires together. I said screw it and got the TM 16000 throttle until VKB's comes out.

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Got a X55 as well and same as for others here in this topic jittering on the rotaries is something I have to deal with.

Besides that the primary throttle axis is starting to giving me troubles ...

I am kinda disappointed although I like the layout and the number of buttons, switches and rotaries.

Also made some poor experiences with Saitek pedals (broken wires as so many others) so personally I would never buy Saitek again.

I don't want anyone to feel insulted - but I think a lot depends on how you treat your gear.

I have friends who have joysticks (and discs etc) covered in dust, often laying in a corner for weeks at a time and they seem to think they are doing nothing wrong and that their gear should work perfectly every time they use it.

I've had several joysticks that a lot of people complained about - poor quality, always going wrong etc etc, yet mine have been great.

Of course, you can get a bad one - or there can be a bad batch, but I refuse to believe they are as common as it would seem from looking at forums and YouTube.

I have the X56, after a long line of top-notch, quality HOTAS and sticks, and I'm very happy with it (apart from an allergy to the plastic). The only issue I had was sticking mini-sticks (apt name!) but this was easily sorted with a drop of machine oil. They do attract dust like no other HOTAS I've had - probably due to the type of plastic used - but if you keep it covered and clean away any dust or dirt promptly, it shouldn't be an issue.

On the big plus side for me, it has been the best helicopter controller by far (even better then my beloved G940 - and the Warthog). Also, it's easy to mount in a good position on the desk (I'll post a pic later).

Has nothing to do how you treat your gear when the internal wiring is breaking from normal use. ;)

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Well obviously not - but is everyone who complains about substandard kit having that issue? I don't think so.

I deleted my post anyway ( I do that a lot these days - never learn just to not post in the first place) because it's impossible to have a sensible conversation here.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Well obviously not - but is everyone who complains about substandard kit having that issue? I don't think so.

I deleted my post anyway ( I do that a lot these days - never learn just to not post in the first place) because it's impossible to have a sensible conversation here.

I think I am being totally sensible here... no need to delete your post, you were sensible as well. I am just saying the wiring in the X55 and X56 is well known, so it is an issue a lot of people are having. Treating a HOTAS badly might result in breaking things on the external parts but certainly it would be difficult to break anything inside by abuse.

It really is a shame, it's a great external design with a poor internal quality.

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

My first X55, was broken out of the box

2 buttons were not working and the mini stick was far too loose

It went back and the replacement has worked fine for a few years now

the rotaries being jittery is only a recent thing, most likely have a go at taking it apart in the next week and replace the wires with better/thicker ones

My first X55, was broken out of the box

2 buttons were not working and the mini stick was far too loose

It went back and the replacement has worked fine for a few years now

the rotaries being jittery is only a recent thing, most likely have a go at taking it apart in the next week and replace the wires with better/thicker ones

Also, be aware... you can't go too thick or you won't be able to close the throttle handles back up. That's the other issue I ran into with trying to heat shrink them.

• Like 1

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Jitter can also be caused by carbon dust inside your pots, that is normal wear & tear.

Buy a good can of electronic cleaner/rinser and rinse them throughly.

I used to do that monthly with my old TM gear.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Jitter can also be caused by carbon dust inside your pots, that is normal wear & tear.

Buy a good can of electronic cleaner/rinser and rinse them throughly.

I used to do that monthly with my old TM gear.

I did this one my X52 year ago .....

.... but the pots on the X55 are sealed so no way to spray the cleaner inside it :(

I've seen and read several bad reviews of the X56 with a few of them actually referring to it as a piece of garbage. Is it really that bad? The most common complaints are concerning poor build quality (i.e. wobbly rotary knobs and clicking sounds when moving the throttle or flight stick) or the system failing after a few weeks of use.

I want a decent flight stick for my A-10C, ideally something that's just one step down from a TM Warthog. Doesn't the X56 fall into that category? If not, I'd welcome more suggestions.

This is the X56 I have my eye on right now: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RD5AT1587&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCAMKPL-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCAMKPL-PC-_-pla-_-PC+Gaming+Accessories+%28Joystick+-+Game+Pad+-+etc.%29-_-9SIA7RD5AT1587&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6r6l0IXZ2AIVT57ACh1-sQ4CEAYYAyABEgJfUfD_BwE

not for that price

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

Had a X-55 (identical to X-56, just prior to Logitech's purchase)

Ergonomically, the stick is fantastic.

The throttle is ok, the shaft needs to be longer because the throttle body tends to block the switches along the right side.

Mechanically, they both suck. I've never owned a Saitek device that didn't have jittery controls, and occasionally phantom key presses. Plugging into a independently powered USB hub does fix the phantom keys, though.

The stick... Oh, the stick pissed me off something fierce, because it has that huge washer plate with the big spring over it to "center" it. That washer plate is horrible about catching on the lip of the recess it sits in, made worse with the single large spring, even if it's the weakest spring.

As an entry level stick, for a noob who doesn't know any better (like me when I bought it), yeah, they're pretty good, compared to CH or some of the cheaper crap available out there, if for no other reason than the more purposeful/useful layout of the controls. Once you get some experience under your belt, the flaws will start niggling at you.

I had a Gladiator Pro from VKB, which uses the fancy spring and cam centering... Just... Wow. The difference is indescribable. The increase in precision, and loss of that frustrating "CATCHING" when making gentle corrections....

It is what you pay for, basically. I mean, Thrustmaster and VKB want more for a single control than Saitek does for both a combined stick and throttle unit. There's good reason for that. Just depends on your budget and how much the flaws are expected to bother you.

Like I said, for a new guy just getting into flight? Yeah, it's a good deal. But plan on getting something decent in a couple years when you work up to a level where the finesse will matter more.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

...(1) Go ahead and get the X-56, but take on the mindset that this is a "disposable" control, that you might have to end up replacing at the end of a year or so. Now, you might not need to do this, and your "honeymoon" period may well last years, as it has for some folks. But if it doesn't, then at least you are prepared.

This exactly captures my view. Both the throttle and the stick are like mini ticking time bombs. The stick seems to be worse than the throttle in terms of expected longevity. However, the throttle ergonomics and number and variety of buttons, switches etc. are excellent. My solution was to separate the T from the S in HOTAS. A VKB stick and picked up a second hand X55 throttle on eBay where the seller confirmed that all features work, with the expectation that I would have to go back to eBay and get another one 12 months later (I've been very lucky and it's 18 months and so far so good). This is the mindset you have to have with the X55.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

I think I am being totally sensible here... no need to delete your post, you were sensible as well. I am just saying the wiring in the X55 and X56 is well known, so it is an issue a lot of people are having. Treating a HOTAS badly might result in breaking things on the external parts but certainly it would be difficult to break anything inside by abuse.

It really is a shame, it's a great external design with a poor internal quality.

The internal wiring in my X55 throttle also sliced which is a common problem, the design of this HOTAS both internally and control ergonomics is poor, something akin to unskilled workmanship. But I still purchased an X56 as replacement because it is probably the best twist stick out there.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I've had my X-55 for a couple years, still works fine. In general, reviews will tilt negative as those who get what they expected typically don't say anything. It certainly isn't the best, but the better options are vastly more expensive. At $250 USD, it's already a very high end system. There are those that will call that cheap crap, but they ignore the existence of nearly every mass produced joystick out there. The X55/56 and TM Warthog are as good as it gets without going with a tiny garage operation like VKB and waiting 6 months for the guy to do a production run.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

So how do you guys feel about the ergonomics?

I'm talking about when flying an HOTAS demanding airplane like A10C & soon F-18/Harrier.

Ralfi didn't have good things to say about the ergonomics:

Do you guy's agree or disagree?

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.