Thank You, Eagle Dynamics

Procxlite

I didn't know where else to put this, but I thought this was the best. This is going to be a long post, so please bear with me. I'll put a TL;DR at the bottom after. :)

I want to take this time to give a huge thanks to Eagle Dynamics for what they have done. The progress they have made and work they put in to get where they are is phenomenal. I'm going to summarize to the best of my ability the extent of how Eagle Dynamics, as a company and their business, has affected me.

First Encounter

I live in South Florida, USA. I was maybe around 9 or 10 (this would have been in 2009). Obviously, I didn't really have a solid idea on what I wanted to be in the coming years at that time. I had gone on flights to Jamaica before and the idea and feeling of flying intrigued me, to say the least. However, it was not a topic or subject of "priority interest" for me.

I was walking in Target, as I said before this was around 2009, and I was in the electronics/entertainment section. My mom called us (my brother and I) to leave. As I was on my way to my mom, I saw on the bottom of this shelf a case. A game case? Something or the other of "Lock On Gold Edition". I didn't know what it was, but it had cool looking fighters on it. What could go wrong? Picked up and carried it to my mom. Pleaded and pleaded until she bought it for say $20.

The Struggle

Short one here. My 9 year old brain was too busy focused on everything but memorizing things such as controls, so my attention-span was not up to par of the required for anything flight-sim related. I also didn't have a HOTAS. So this thing just sat here collecting dust...

The Hiatus

I put the "game" down at the time not only because of the struggles I had playing it, but because my computer couldn't even run it. Until 2012, I would have an AMD Athlon something something...... All I know is I still have the motherboard manual for that PC and it wasn't the best. No discrete graphics and super laggy especially in the mountains (of course I quick started in the mountains and just played with the arrow keys, not actually start up and take off).

Dad's Gift

2012 comes around. Until this time, I have actually succeeded in playing on an acrobatic server, and after numerous times of "putting the game down" I always came back. I trained myself over the years how to use the arrow keys to fly successfully AND in formation(!). Someone on the server at that time, who is now friends with me on FaceBook; by the name of cdr.instigator on Lock On; even taught me to aerial refuel... With keyboard and mouse on the SU-33. I learned more and more, day by day.

The day came. My dad, uncle (who was the most technology-literate person between us three at the time), and I walked into CompUSA when it was still alive. To my surprise, he just told us "pick out anything." He said price didn't matter. Long story short, we got new PC parts that consisted of 8GB of RAM, an MSI HD 6670 (1GB), 1TB HDD, and an I5-2500K that the CompUSA advised us to buy over all AMD products (lol). And on that same day... I also got my first HOTAS: the T.Flight Hotas X! :D

The Dream is Born

At that point, I realized I was interested in aviation. I got FSX to pair with my Flaming Cliffs 2 experience. I enjoyed the graphics and knowledge FSX brought me, and the action and excitement that Flaming Cliffs 2 brought me (not to say one didn't offer the other). While the downside is that none of my friends were interested in this genre like I was, the upside is that it gave me a chance and opportunity to grow my own self. Through this, and at the time when ISIS was rising, I realized the choice I wanted to make. You could say ISIS was born from America, you could say America is the biggest terrorist in the world, anything you would like to say about America. I was huddled between this and commercial airlines at first, but no more.

I made it my goal to be a United States Air Force pilot.

Persistence, Perception, Perseverance

I would be interested in other games, of course, but that didn't kill my will to continue going. Every time I was shot down, I would try again. So what if those mavericks exploded on the ground in front of my target? So what if I would strike a bandit with an AIM-120 and it was as though it didn't get hit, then proceed to shoot back an R-73 and end my day? I wouldn't stop. These were fun bugs, in hindsight, by the way. They make me laugh now thinking about it, and I hope it's a bit of a funny memory for anyone else who has experienced that too. :)

However, that didn't stop me from refining my skills on FC2. I kept at it no matter what, and stuck with it. Over the years after 2012, I was having a blast since picking up FC3 in late 2012. The graphics were much improved, and so was my GPU (to an R9 270X). Physics and all, it was great.

Fast Forward a Bit...

2017 was really the year of it all for me. This was my senior year. Until 2017, I only had Flaming Cliffs 3 (I know, crazy). In early 2017, I joined the Grim Reapers squadron (which you can find on Youtube here). I bought the F-5E + NTTR pack on sale. I learned the F-5E relatively quick. At this point I had an R9 Fury so NTTR runs butter-smooth (may be due to the 4.5 GHz overclock on the 2500k, but I digress). Flew it some, then in June I picked up the Mirage. In about a week I was proficient enough in A2A to fly with the Reapers. A month afterwards, the Viggen goes on sale. Bought it. I believe around this point is when I parted ways with GR. I then joined a newer squadron known as Daredevil Birds, which is where I "reside" to this day (Youtube found here). :) Not too long after, I bought a TIR5 from my friend's brother who happened to have one laying around for ARMA that he didn't use anymore. It was only like $70, so I took it. Boy did head tracking make a HUGE difference for all the modules...

Adjustments

However, as I said, 2017 was my senior year. This would be the same year my first college semester started later in the Fall. Because of this, my flight attendance with my squadron suffered. I also, due to registration issues, couldn't get my Air Force ROTC class like I had planned and would have to wait until Spring. Not to mention, most of my high school friends are a grade under me and so they weren't with me in college. Yeah, make new friends and all.. But it just kinda sucked not being able to talk to them as much.

Today

Alright. Screw that sap stuff from just now. Those adjustments were well-needed. During that phase, I was able to end my first semester with a 3.91 GPA (all A's and one A-), begin my move from Physics major to Mechanical Engineering (don't ask why I didn't start with that before... I thought I made the right choice :\), talk to my friends more toward the end, celebrate Christmas and holidays without worrying about anything... and guess what?

Splurge

So I didn't get a Warthog HOTAS yet.

But I picked up the Huey... my first helo...... But more importantly, I did what I should have done a long time ago. I picked up the A-10C module straight from ED. But I couldn't stop there! I had to pick up the Basic Qualification, Advanced Qualification, and Tactical Qualification campaigns as well! I did this not only because of my enjoyment with ED products, but to show my support that I should have showed a long time ago. Seeing that 2.5 has been in the pipe for so long, and it's getting released THIS MONTH, makes me excited. I can't wait for the F/A-18 and F-14. Those are what I need to get. On the side, I picked back up on my attendance to my squadron and... well... yeah. My AFROTC starts this semester...

And I probably wouldn't have gotten to this point without finding that single game box at Target.

Thank you, Eagle Dynamics, for your unwavering focus and perseverance to this community and to the entire DCS as a whole.

TLDR

ED made me realize my goals of becoming an Air Force pilot, and it all started from a Lock On Gold case that wasn't even on its proper shelf. It took a long time, but I have the knowledge and experience and became the person who I am today through the discipline and information gathered simply from flying. Flying at times would not only be helpful to learn new things, but also a great stress reliever.

Thank you.

Edited by Procxlite

Nice post :)

2018 seems to be the year when DCS will truly be coming of age :) It will be splendid!

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Thanks for sharing ... didnt knew what AFROTC meant, so I googled it: https://www.afrotc.com/

:) ... I wish you all the best on your future career.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Enjoyed reading about your journey. Best of luck in your endeavor to be an AF Pilot!

<S>

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10