Dunkirk - the movie

NineLine

• 4 months later...

This one is going to be well worth the ticket and I'll be adding it to my video library. Nice find thanks for sharing.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I am not sure my nerves and stomach could take a feature length movie after watching those trailers. It certainly looks like it will be a well produced film.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

• 2 months later...

Are you saying that you think that they used aircraft footage from a PC game in the movie?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Nolan has used real aircraft as much as possible. thank god.

the spitfires are real, the 109 is a lookalike. apart from a double chin it looks quite good.

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html

and they have used large models for the crash scenes.

all in all, it should be worth a watch. real spitfires flying real vic's is always pretty

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

in this video of them taking off.. that first plane has some interesting camera mounted on it for the chase scenes.

i think you see its nose in the trailer.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

they used RC models a lot during filming.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...

Dunkirk - the movie

surprised a thread hasn't been created re garding topic.

Watched the movie in IMAX around 3 weeks ago, and I must say I liked the film for what it is. It fits with Christopher Nolan's way of filming in that its more than a story, its an art form.IF you havent watched it, You should watch it in IMAX because the sound... The sound was amazing.

and my favourite part were also the Aerial Scenes taken from the Spitfire Pilots perspective, and i personally think that from the protagonists Tom Hardies, Pilot character's fate moved me the most.

tHOUGH Minor gripe i wish it showed the perspective of the BEF and or French forces left behind to stall the German military encroachment of Dunkrik. In the very begging the soldiers are running from German soldiers shooting and one makes it to a Sandbag blockade with French Soldiers and Shooting continues afterwards he gets to the beach ( can hear it in the background while he runs) and i wish we saw the additional perspective of group of soldiers these small blocking forces desperately fighting to hold off the Germans where it only for the briefest of periods touched on that..

I also think its fantastic that they showed the civilian perspective. OF local brits coming in to dunkirk with their own personal boats to help take soldiers back. the citizens came to the rescue and support of their service members.

In contrast my dad ended up going to watch the film recently, and in his opinion he liked it too but though it wasn't brutal enough. In his opinion he said it was pretty soft compared to bloody DDAY scene in Saving Private Ryan. He felt that it wasn't shocking enough.

OFC perhaps Nolan wanted to keep a lower PG rating, so perhaps that was it but personally i thought it still made a impact even without gore or dismemberment of corpses that my father expected.

So what about the rest of you that watched the film? any thoughts or opinions?

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

We watched Dunkirk as a family during our summer Holiday, we really liked it, I also bought the Dunkirk book written by the historical advisor to the film.

There is an interview with Nolan in the book. He talks about going back to watch films like Saving Private Ryan and the Thin Red Line and making a conscious decision to have the threat in the film as implied rather than full in your face.

You don`t actual see any Germans in the film until the end and then they are blurred, he said he wanted the feeling of encroaching peril and fear, I think not showing the perimeter was part of this. You just get to hear the fighting and shelling getting closer.

He also said in first draft of the script he had the characters making reference Nazi`s all the time and then realized he didn't want to make a war film, but a film about survival, personal and of a nation. He said selling the concept of a film about defeat to Hollywood was a challenge.

You are right about the sound, the part of the film that effected me the most was the Stuka attack on the Mole, and it was the sound, really made you want to run. I can`t image what it was like in real life.

Great Film.

The critics raved about it in the US. Saying it was great.

I should have known better..I never agree with the critics.

If they hate it I love it...if they like it I usually find it lacking.

Obviously, someone pays them.

I found Dunkirk disappointing. Bordering on boring.

The Dunkirk story deserves much better.

However, some of the Spitfire footage was good.

Would not rush out to see it in the theaters for $$$.

it will eventually come out on cable.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10