2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

I really enjoy the Development Reports! :thumbup:

And the new A-10C cockpit looks gorgeous!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In the current newsletter, there is only talk of the CVN class of aircraft carrier. What happened to the Russian one, Admiral Kuznetsov? Is it conveniently forgotten?

That's further down on their plans. They're doing the Stennis first, then the Areleigh Burke, and then the Kuz.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

A10C progress is looking promising, great to hear an update on progress of the new carrier, great to hear about a bit of the inner workings towards the next update/patch. Thanks for communicating with us ED.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Is there not a newsletter as of today? Pretty late in the eve already and I just can see the last week's one...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4086199&postcount=221

But for some reason it hasn’t arrived onto my e-mail yet :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

With the super carrier module I hope we get an updated S-3 Viking, SH-60, and Sea King 3D model. It'd be a shame to see the best Carrier module ever made and those old relics from the PS2 Era sitting on it's deck for too long.

But am I the only one hyped for Deck equipment? That's going to be fun to play around with at land airfields as well.

With the super carrier module I hope we get an updated S-3 Viking, SH-60, and Sea King 3D model. It'd be a shame to see the best Carrier module ever made and those old relics from the PS2 Era sitting on it's deck for too long.

But am I the only one hyped for Deck equipment? That's going to be fun to play around with at land airfields as well.

That AI units has not planned to the Super Carrier Module, meanwhile has planned updated to a future.

They probably make a new hidden post and then edit it and make public. This does not work with e-mail annoucements however.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Now I can see it in there actually. And I'm baffled every time, this has been posted early in the morn and I couldn't see it all day long.

Looking forward to the "suppercarrier" (that was the best typo ever), maybe even more than aircraft modules. This will fill DCS with a little life after all.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Really , another early access module :doh:

It's the best way to get a few thousand testers checking features as they're added.

If you think you might be one of those people that buy an E.A. module having been told it's not feature complete, has bugs & will continue to have bugs appear as features are added, then be unhappy that it's not feature complete, still has bugs and that new ones appear as features are added, and are likely to spend the next however many months clogging up the forums complaining that the early access module isn't feature complete and has bugs, or isn't progressing as fast as they expected, please do yourself and the rest of us a favour and wait till you read it's feature complete.

Cheers.

too bad the A10C with remodel doesn't include an update with the AN/ARC 210 radio over the AN/ARC 164

Guess itl still be somewhat of a Frankenhog

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/?fbclid=IwAR2Q4xgQE4Ni4Ej3vbitd74KhCdifltLxExAGWXJu6PyE49P4hEL_Rd7nvg

Nice, but the question is : WHEN ? :D :D

" Nick Grey mentioned that more than 50% of staff are working on non-module related items. Any insight into what the items are that are actively being worked on at this point?

Indeed. Regarding non-aircraft and map projects that focus on the core product, some of the big ones are:

New terrain engine

Dynamic campaign

New graphics engine

Improved night lighting

FLIR rendering tech

Ground radar tech

Air-to-Surface radar rendering tech

Improved weather (clouds, thermals, humidity, etc.)

New and improved effects

Integrated VOIP

Aircraft AI improvement

Updated replay system

Improved unit visibility

Improved sound engine

Improved network code

And other more confidential aspects "

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

They have not set a date, because they are still working on it. As soon as they know, they let us know.

I understand we all want these items as soon as possible, but if they are not ready to release them, then them I’m happy for them to keep working on them.

When is just a red rag to a bull.

As we know, DCS is incredibly complex, so perfect delivery timescales are simply not realistic. How many times have we seen ED suggest a timescale, have difficulties, delay to resolve and then an utter outcry about them being late.

Just let them do their jobs.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The reason why people are increasingly asking when is that a lot of this type of stuff ‘better clouds

, ‘dynamic campaign’ etc have been ‘worked on’ for *years* with nothing to show. Therefore people start disbelieving Ed when they say ‘we’re working on it’ and start asking more specifically about it.

Ed have themselves to blame for not being able to follow through with lots of stuff they’ve been ‘working on’.

If people see things coming out of the pipeline that affect improvements to the core simulation they will be more willing to give the benefit of the doubt. So it is up to Ed to start delivering *before* people start cutting them more slack.

Development Report #3

The new Ka50 3D cockpit model is already at the texturing stage. Remember, this will be a free enhancement for existing Black Shark owners. In mid 2020 we plan to release a brand new external model along with certain new weapons and avionics systems with even greater cockpit enhancements. The product will also come with new missions, mission functionalities and gameplay. This module will be named Black Shark 3 and will be available at a substantial discount for existing Black Shark 2 owners and at full price for new users. Enjoy the screenshots below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220341&stc=1&d=1572605255 attachment.php?attachmentid=220342&stc=1&d=1572605255attachment.php?attachmentid=220343&stc=1&d=1572605255

attachment.php?attachmentid=220344&stc=1&d=1572605255attachment.php?attachmentid=220345&stc=1&d=1572605255attachment.php?attachmentid=220346&stc=1&d=1572605255

Other Development Updates which might be of interest:

• F/A-18C Hornet: the team is focused on the completion of the AGM-62 Walleye, updating the Harpoon, implementing dynamic launch zones / release points for JDAMs and JSOWs and Pre-Briefed mode for the AGM-88 HARM. The Team are working on completing and improving the current weapons prior to moving on to new systems such as the SLAM and SLAM-ER. TWS and enhanced radar modes will follow.

• P-47D: A lot of work is being put into the external model that includes the landing gear, landing gear doors, intercooler and oil cooler flaps, landing flaps and creating realistic paint schemes. The cockpit is coming along well with remaining work mostly on the lighting and cockpit-view pilot model. The team are tuning the flight model, power plant and systems.

• Supercarrier: the model is 95% complete with deck crew animations progressing well. This week we made good progress on the holdback bar animations and general scripting of launch operations. We’ve also made good progress on the LSO platform which offers an exceptional level of detail and functionality. For the early access launch, we plan 14 aircraft spawn locations.

• Mi-24: UV mapping of the pilot’s cockpit is almost done and then we will spend about a month working on the animations and textures. The flight model is near 80% complete.
  • Integrated Voice Chat: We are now in the final stretch of rolling out the test version. We’ve added a minimize command, volume options, mic options, and bug fixes. Following the initial release, we will implement the creation of rooms.

• New Effects: We are currently working on missile flame and smoke enhancements as well as new tracer art. This should deliver a new level of realism to exhaust flames based on motor and fuel type.

• Dynamic Campaign: We now have a basic test version that works within DCS World to evaluate the real-time strategy element of the system. We are using this to debug the system. In parallel, work is now underway on the UI interface and the AI machine learning code. This is complex and is receiving a lot of focus at the moment.

• Our new ‘secret’ terrain is coming along very well. We hope to be releasing screens shots soon...

I'm loving this development report!!

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I’m not. I really don’t care about enhanced missile trail effects. That seems a ‘little detail’ compared to big graphical wins they should be working on like stopping clouds rotating in VR, syncing them accross MP, or making sure contrails don’t pop in/put at different zoom levels.

And as for working on a whole separate voip system instead of coming to an agreement with the creator of SRS and bundling that in seems like a waste of development resources.

I really cannot wait for the overall roadmap tracker as some of this work is not essential, and some appears to be a waste.

Plus we are now told Hornet TWS will be behind even more ‘new weapons’ which themselves are after ‘completing existing weapons’ (though it is good to see they have listened on this point).

So it seems that we won’t have a fully functioning radar system even two years after deployment yet F16 will have TWS within the next few patch cycles. the priorities are unfathomable.

Could you please tell me what " secret terrain " means?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4093986#post4093986

" Our new ‘secret’ terrain is coming along very well. We hope to be releasing screens shots soon "

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I needed some NEW Supercarrier news. Haven't had any in a while besides the screenshots.:cry:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals