Get Wingman to Bomb Specific Target

Captain Orso

I'm flying a mission with a single wingman. There are 4 zu-23 emplacements. I need to have my wingman attack a specific AAA unit with bomb

How do I direct him to do this?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

There used to be an in-flight recon mode where you could point to a target and tell your wingman to go after it but I never had much success with it. Don't know if that feature is still there.

Edited by kontiuka

If you are talking in flight, you can command your wingman to "Engage Air Defenses." using your comms menu.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. The problem with it is, that there are 4 AAA's almost lined up in a valley in and around this town. 3 are fairly close to the far end of the town, and one just outside the near end. I want him to bomb the near AAA, while I fly around to hit a bridge a mile outside the far end of the town.

I tell him to engage air defenses with bombs, while we are still approaching, so that the closest AAA, the one that's alone, is the nearest, and he does go for that one too, at first.

But if I'm out at the far end of town, instead of hitting the closest AAA, he switches targets and hits one of the AAA toward the bridge, which is where I am at the that time.

I know he's switching targets, because he's reporting his actions. First he confirms my orders, and then says he's 'engaging air defenses'. A short time later he says he's 'running in'. If I'm at the other end of town about that time, a short time later I hear him stating again that he's 'running in', and then he drops his bombs on one of the AAA at the far end of town.

The only way I know to get him to hit the target I want, is by being somewhere near it until he's dropped his bombs, without getting in the way of his bombing run. Not only is it a PITA trying to dance around the AAA, but also stay out of his way, because if I get in the way of his bombing run, he'll turn around and start again, but it also waists a lot of precious time and fuel.

There used to be an in-flight recon mode where you could point to a target and tell your wingman to go after it but I never had much success with it. Don't know if that feature is still there.

I've tried to find out how In-Cockpit-Recon works, but the descriptions are very vague, and I can't get it to work at all anyway. I never get the yellow pointer cross to go red for pointing out targets. Beside that, I don't think there's even a command to tell your wingman to hit that target.

Some think the only use of the Cockpit-Recon is to make targets on the map become 'unhidden' for other players or AI.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...